Verified Expert in Engineering
Eqbal is a senior full-stack developer with more than a decade of experience working in web and mobile development. He is a masterful problem solver and boasts an extensive portfolio of finished professional products.
Crystal, Python, Ruby on Rails (RoR)
The most amazing...
...thing I've done is use deep learning to code a real self-driving car to drive itself on a test track using ROS and Autoware.
Chief Technology Officer
- Spearheaded developing and scaling technology infrastructure, successfully adapting to the company's rapid growth and evolving needs.
- Transformed an initial tech team of 80+ developers into a multidisciplinary, agile unit, ensuring seamless collaboration and efficient delivery of projects.
- Defined and executed technology strategies and infrastructure, overseeing various domains, including infrastructure, development, and UI/UX.
- Aligned technology solutions with enterprise objectives, ensuring a tailored fit to drive business growth.
- Undertook major codebase refactoring for the main repositories, improving code quality and maintainability.
- Streamlined workflow planning, priority assessment, and task allocation, matching the right expertise to the projects.
- Mastered the art of effective communication, articulating proposed solutions across the business while comprehending project scope fundamentals.
- Proactively identified and resolved technical challenges and bottlenecks, ensuring the smooth execution of projects.
- Invested in team development by implementing strategies, training, and growth plans aligned with project objectives and fostering consistent achievement.
- Optimized the platform for enhanced performance and reliability, enabling the seamless support of increased traffic, marketing initiatives, and shifting corporate goals.
Team Lead/Senior Ruby Engineer
- Maintained an extensive online marketing application with over 50,000 subscribing customers.
- Moved from using Rails controllers to building a more scalable/isolated RESTful API using Grape and Sidekiq. While this made the application more scalable, we spent time on reliability by adding many integration/unit tests for the new API.
- Used best practices to create a clean, well-documented code.
- Refactored the codebase, scaled the API using many PORO/abstractions, and moved from relying on MVC to microservices.
- Reviewed code, managed issues, and ensured high code quality.
- Implemented new features, participated in business decisions like prioritizing tasks and estimates for new features, and improved the overall development process.
Technical Team Lead (MENA)
- Managed a team of developers, monitored performance, and ensured the consistent achievement of project targets/deliverables.
- Planned the workflow, assessed priorities, allocated timescales, and distributed work per level of expertise required.
- Utilized Ruby as well as Rails to develop user-facing features.
- Reviewed code, managed issues, and ensured the provision of high code quality.
- Managed update/code development project phases and ensured that documentation maximized usability, scalability, performance, and quality.
Full-stack Ruby on Rails Engineer
- Added new functionalities for the site.
- Moved from jQuery to use Backbone.js for the front end.
- Created tests for the project.
- Enhanced the performance of the site by creating a separate API to communicate with the front end using JSON.
Senior Ruby/Rails Developer
Dubber, Pty., Ltd. (via Toptal)
- Added new functionalities using Ruby on Rails.
- Created tests using RSpec and Capybara.
- Created UI components using HTML/CSS/CoffeeScript.
- Created new functionalities for the telephony system using WebRTC.
Clearlogin, Inc. (via Toptal)
- Created a scalable/fast log management system using a separate MongoDB and migrating the old data from MySQL.
Software Engineer, Account Manager
- Managed a small team to deliver a native mobile application and SMS-based solution. Handed the development, deployment, design, and architecture of the software for mobile operators and integrated the solution with the back-end and billing system of the mobile operator.
- Created a SMS-based chat application to chat with Facebook, MSN, GTalk, and Yahoo accounts using simple SMSs. Used the C++ and Qt framework to develop the application for performance issues and used Amazon cloud servers to scale. Developed this application for the Nedjma mobile operator http://www.wataniya-algerie.com/extranet/web/serviceparticulier/nedjma-net.
- Created a native iPhone and Blackberry chat application for Nedjma and integrated it with Nedjma’s billing system. Allowed the user to pay a monthly subscription, talk, and send unlimited photos and voice messages to friends. http://www.wataniya-algerie.com/extranet/web/serviceparticulier/nedjma-net.
- Created an iPhone application using Objective-C for Ramadan. Used Ruby and EC2 server for the back-end (http://itunes.apple.com/lb/app/live-ramadan/id385779970?mt=8).
- Built a WAP portal for Nedjma using WML for old devices, WAP 2.0, and XHTMLMP for smart phones (http://wap.nedjma.dz).
Project Manager, Software Engineer
- Managed a small team of four Rails developers, one web designer, and one graphic designer. Used Scrum as a project management methodology and Basecamp to manage and track projects.
- Developed, deployed, and maintained the www.tahawor.com site.
- Developed, deployed, and maintained the www.naharna.com site based on Web 3.0 and semantic (RDF) technology.
- Developed, deployed, and maintained the http://elections.naharnet.com site.
- Applied TDD/BDD approaches to software development.
- Handled development of the company sites (www.ikbis.com, www.watwet.com, and www.itoot.net) and added new features for them using the Rails framework as a primary web development framework language. Was also responsible for managing all the information technology needs of TootCorp network, including sites administration and other security issues.
- Created a Facebook application for the WatWet site using the rFacebook library (http://apps.facebook.com/watwets/).
- Modified both www.ikbis.com and www.watwet.com sites to Web 2.0 technology and Ajax.
- Developed several Ruby on Rails applications for internal and external uses.
- Developed a set of standards‐compliant SEO-friendly templates and widgets for our site. Developed several plugins for internal use. Managed and administered sites using EC2 cloud servers.
- Worked as a web developer on Jeeran, the biggest Arab social network and blogging site with more than 1 million active members. Used Microsoft technology (.NET, C#, Micosoft SQL server, etc.). Implemented numerous changes regarding the look and feel of the site (GUI) and tried to make it based on Web 2.0 technologies. Made the first Arabic Facebook application.
- Created the first Arabic Facebook application for the Jeeran site (JeeranBlogger) using.NET framework, FBML, FBJS, and other technologies. Allowed users to quickly and easily integrate existing blogs into their Facebook profiles, getting more exposure for their blogs and sharing content with friends (http://apps.facebook.com/jeeranblogappdemo/).
Jeeran iPhone App
Nedjma WAP Portalhttp://www.nedjma.dz/
Birdy Nam Nam iOS Game
Clearlogin Log Management System
Dubber, Pty., Ltd. (via Toptal)
Perchwell - Real Estate Smart Enginehttp://www.perchwell.com
Creating a Cryptocurrency in the Crystal Programming Language
Ruby Concurrency and Parallelism: A Practical Tutorial
Ruby Best Practices and Tips by Toptal Developers
Angular, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Celluloid, Core Telephony, Ember.js, Bootstrap, Adhearsion, OpenSIPs, Sinatra, RubyMotion, GrapesJS, Qt, .NET, Capybara, Cocoa, Hadoop, UIKit
Node.js, Rack, Backbone.js, WebRTC, jQuery, ØMQ, EventMachine, jQuery Mobile, React, Facebook API, Pandas
Bitbucket, Git, Terminal, Sublime Text, GitHub, RabbitMQ, Pivotal Tracker, Jira, TextMate, Vim Text Editor, Basecamp, RSpec, Ansible, CircleCI, GitLab
Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Agile Software Development, Actor Programming, Concurrent Programming, Behavior-driven Development (BDD), Model View Controller (MVC), Functional Programming, Responsive Web Design (RWD), Extreme Programming, Test-driven Development (TDD), Object-oriented Design (OOD), Distributed Programming, Scrum, Management
Amazon Web Services (AWS), MacOS, Amazon EC2, Director, Ubuntu, iOS, Linux, Heroku, Blockchain, Oracle, Meteor
Redis, NoSQL, MongoDB, MySQL, Memcached, SQLite, Microsoft SQL Server, Elasticsearch, Neo4j, PostgreSQL
Data Analysis, Team Leadership, Writing & Editing, CTO, Blockchain Development, Technical Leadership, Architecture, DApps, Customized Blockchains, Ember CLI, Wireless Application Protocol (WAP), Ajax, Facebook, GUI, Trailblazer, Team Management, Strategic Planning & Execution, Digital Transformation, Lean Startups, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Statistics, Reinforcement Learning, Self-driving Cars, Robotics, Deep Learning, Supervised Learning, Web Development, Applets, Networking, Securities
Bachelor of Engineering (BEng) Degree in Computer Engineering
Yarmouk University - Jordan
Probability - The Science of Uncertainty and Data
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Self-driving Car Engineer Nanodegree
Machine Learning Nanodegree
Sun Certified Java Programmer (SCJP)
Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)