Verified Expert in Engineering
Eugene is a developer with more than 25 years of experience in Microsoft SQL Server from version 6.5 to version 2022/Azure. He's worked for small businesses and enterprises like Kone, DHL, and Sony and has taught data and database architecture and the technical side of SQL Server to classes of up to ten people. Eugene is familiar with most SQL monitoring packages and is an expert in Redgate software.
The most amazing...
...moment I've had is with an SQL query that had taken 4-5 hours to complete suddenly executed in 14 seconds, all due to corrected indexes and a query hint.
SQL Server Specialist
- Handled the auditing of existing SQL Server databases and data flows.
- Identified performance bottlenecks and potential risks.
- Implementation of system versioning technologies instead of homemade history tables for a data audit.
SQL Server DBA | Performance Expert
- Merged two multi-billion rows tables. The total downtime required was 1 hour.
- Identified non-used indexes and implemented numerous changes to the index system, which significantly improved performance in certain cases.
- Straight-lined backup processes and tweaked Lungren's procedures for full and differential backups.
SQL Server Specialist | Support Coordinator
- Administered the SQL Server administration managing various environments, stored procedures, functions, jobs, indexing, partitioning, replication, mirroring, resource management, performance analysis, and improvements.
- Handled massive data migrations, including sources like multiple Oracle databases, flat files, etc. Did a post-migration data audit.
- Designed, developed, and implemented a data import and integration engine.
Global SQL Server Database Administrator (DBA) | Senior Data Expert
- Performed SQL Server administration, including but not limited to stored procedures, functions, jobs, indexing, partitioning, replication, mirroring, resource management, performance analysis, and improvements; also monitored the SQL Server.
- Developed, designed, and architected data warehouses which included the design, planning, and implementation of a range of environments design (production, acceptance, development); also helped to migrate platforms.
- Contributed to software architecture primarily the data flow and persistence.
SQL Server Engineer
- Analyzed the existing enterprise datastore and BI data warehouses and designed, modeled, and prepared the migration to another infrastructure; also implemented the actual migration.
- Evaluated the existing SSIS ETL structure and analyzed the existing OLTP processes.
- Optimized, maintained, and administered the corporate databases and data warehouses.
Data Architect | SQL Engineer
Belgacom (now Proximus)
- Architected and physically installed the SQL Server clustered environment and new and existing data centers.
- Audited and optimized existing data centers and databases, including massive performance improvements.
- Designed and implemented the Microsoft BI environment which included the development and administration of the data and Infrastructure migration and consolidation design, planning, and implementation.
Database Engineer | SQL Server Performance Specialist | Database Administrator (DBA)
- Analyzed the existing SAN/Cluster SQL Server instances which included the preparation and implementation of the migration from 2000 to 2005 versions.
- Created a new data warehouse and designed and developed ETL processes.
- Solved performance issues and tracked and enhanced critical processes.
Migration of Chinese Corporate Databases
To save time, data streams were processed consequently for encoding, quality and integrity. A portion of data was preloaded into staging tables.
The project was finished successfully, with the indexes and replication created well within the downtime frame.
Data Export to S3
We created numerous stored procedures which provided processed and formatted data. A fully dynamic SSIS package accepted a stored procedure name as one of the parameters, executed it, exported the results into a CSV file, and placed them on target landing site—all fully automatically, without any intervention.
Performance Improvement at a Global Corporation
The performance was deteriorating as the data volume and traffic increased.
The preliminary stage included isolating the most problematic queries, triggers, functions, and stored procedures. Also, about 50% of the queries were generated automatically by third-party software and could not be altered.
To solve this, we performed a global audit of the index system which resulted in removing excessive and unused indexes with changing the majority of the existing indexes to newly created ones.
Where possible, function calls were removed from clauses, triggers replaced with external code, and isolation levels and degrees of parallelism were reviewed.
We chose to implement SQL Server Resource Governor to separate system resources between different applications and users. As a result performance problems disappeared completely while guaranteeing future scalability and expandability.
T-SQL (Transact-SQL), Visual Basic 6 (VB6), SQL, Snowflake, Stored Procedure, Visual Basic for Applications (VBA)
Redgate SQL Compare, SQL Server Profiler, Microsoft Access, DTS, Microsoft Power BI
Database Design, ETL, Database Development, Business Intelligence (BI)
SQL Server DBA, Database Architecture, Redgate SQL Toolbelt, Database Performance, SQL Performance, Data Definition Languages (DDL), SQL Server 2008 R2, SQL Server 2016, SQL Server 2012, SQL Server 2005, SQL Server 2000, Microsoft SQL Server, DB, SQL Stored Procedures, Databases, Database Migration, Database Replication, Relational Databases, Database Mirroring, SQL Architecture, Database Administration (DBA), Microsoft DBA, SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), Azure SQL Databases, ER/Studio Data Architecture, SQL Server 2014, SQL Triggers
SQL Server 2019, Data Warehouse Design, Data, Relational Database Design, Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), Optimization, Data Architecture, Data Warehousing, Data Engineering, Data Modeling, Consolidation, Indexing