CTO2017 - 2020Digi.Bio
- Founded a life-sciences company, for automation of experimentation in biological research workflows, using digital microfluidics.
- Ran it as a founder, director, and CTO for over three years, creating a strong and stable company with a decent product.
- Built an end-to-end IoT system for controlling the hardware through a web interface and a cloud service; set up the front end, server infrastructure, hardware client & firmware, database, APIs, and UX design for the microfluidic device operation.
- Constructed digital microfluidic cartridges based on very specific chemical requirements; oversaw the research, testing, design, electronics, manufacturing, assembly, packaging, and shipment.
- Created a hardware device for the operation of digital microfluidic cartridges; oversaw and implemented design, electronics, embedded software, connectivity, sensors, actuators, testing, 3D modeling, manufacturing, assembly, packaging, shipment, etc.
- Contributed to the HAX hardware startup accelerator in Shenzhen, China in 2017; also was part of Merck accelerator in Darmstadt, Germany.
- Attended conferences, pitched to customers and investors, and so on.
- Created business plans and quarterly reviews/budget projections, oversaw logistics, and more.
- Hosted or attended workshops, hackathons, and more concerning digital microfluidics, digital biology, and so on.
- Built a React front end, first as prototype, then a production version along with the UX and UI for handling laboratory equipment.
Senior Back-end Developer2017 - 2017Combined Traders
Technologies: Web Development, Back-end Development, Stored Procedures, SQL, Microsoft SQL Server, C#.NET, C#
- Worked on a profiling tool to monitor the needs of and differences between energy consumers (buildings) in order to apply machine learning to it.
- Developed a novel web platform for customer insights in their energy consumption and potential to improve energy consumption.
- Maintained and improved a database toolchain and scripts.
Senior DevOps | Software Developer2015 - 2016Sowiso
Technologies: Web Development, Back-end Development, MySQL, SQL, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Scrum, Python, Dynamic Load Balancing, Capistrano, Ruby, PHP, Bash, AWS
- Set up an auto-scaling server cloud (using AWS) to deal with peak traffic hours.
- Worked on the PHP online learning environment and implemented security improvements for user uploaded scripts.
- Established Scrum and daily standups for the development team.
Software Engineer2013 - 2015Lukkien
Technologies: Web Development, Back-end Development, Jenkins, PIP, Vagrant, DevOps, Unit Testing, Scrum, Agile, MariaDB, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL, Bash, Linux, Django, Python
- Maintained a variety of Django-based websites and web apps developed by Lukkien for their clients (e.g., Albert Heijn, Jumbo Games, Gotan, and Bison).
- Implemented performance/load testing and profiling of web apps and advised on strategies to remove bottlenecks, improve performance, and prevent issues with typical seasonal traffic fluctuations.
- Developed a new webshop for Gall & Gall, a chain of liquor stores.
- Headed product launch websites for major brands as a lead/back-end developer.
Software Developer2013 - 2013Sanoma
Technologies: Back-end Development, Django, Python
- Developed an e-book (EPUB) creation tool which takes articles from the publishing house's vast collection (called the Content Library) and bundles them into an e-book.
- Maintained and improved the Content Library, the publishing house's digital library of all articles ever published.
- Collaborated with management on finding new ways of monetizing on the Content Library.
Software Engineer | DevOps2012 - 2013SkyRadio
Technologies: Web Development, Back-end Development, Linux, Jenkins, Unit Testing, Java
- Made software improvements to a personalized radio station platform and built a unit-test suite to improve stability.
- Developed deployment automation using Jenkins; before, there was a cumbersome, dangerous manual procedure, and after, all it took was a simple button click.
- Maintained and monitored the server and database, deployed code, and so on.
Junior Back-end Developer2012 - 2012Q42
- Worked in the team that built the front end and back end of a control suite for Philips Hue, a line of IoT-powered multi-color lightbulbs.
- Tracked and fixed bugs using unit testing and coverage reporting.
- Participated in scrum-poker sessions for sprint planning.
Web Developer2008 - 2011Freelance
- Contributed to the builds of several Django-based web shops including Cosmania.nl.
- Built a Magento webshop for Danae Kurvers (Trans-mission.nl).
- Worked on several PHP and/or WordPress-based projects for Mosselmania.nl and others.