Machine Learning Engineer and Researcher2017 - PRESENTSelf-employed
Technologies: Python, Pandas, PostgreSQL, TensorFlow, InfluxDB
- Contributed to an open-source event-based Python algorithmic trading library. The goal of the library is to provide easy way of testing financial ML algorithms.
- Built a real-time and historical bar and tick data from IQFeed.
- Integrated an API with Quandl and INTRINIO.
- Developed storage and retrieval of historical data and other datasets with PostgreSQL and InfluxDB.
- Back-tested historical data using different datasets.
- Implemented order placement via the Interactive Brokers Python API.
Author2018 - 2019Packt Publishing
Technologies: Deep Learning, Python, PyTorch, Keras, TensorFlow
- Wrote the thoroughly revised second edition of the book "Python Deep Learning."
Machine Learning Engineer and Researcher2014 - 2016ExB Group
Technologies: Python, Caffe, Keras, TensorFlow, Java, OpenCL
- Participated in and won several machine learning competitions.
Machine Learning Engineer2013 - 2014Self-employed
Technologies: Java, OpenCL
- Authored the first open-source Java deep learning library with GPU support as a way to introduce myself to deep learning and produce something meaningful at the same time. The library has limitations (it's very slow), but it has been a great learning tool. It is implemented with Java 8.
Mobile/Web Developer2013 - 2013Fanattac (via Toptal)
- Developed a mobile version of the site using Ember.js, PHP, and REST.
- Worked on a redesign of the desktop version of the site using Backbone.js, PHP, MySQL, and REST.
Founder2010 - 2013IGI Soft, Ltd.
- Developed an advanced SaaS web platform for trading automative parts online, located at http://www.zakolite.bg/. The platform allows companies to create their own web shops and participate in a common marketplace.
- Integrated the system with the most widely adopted and comprehensive auto parts database. As a founder of the company, I’ve been leading the design, development, deployment, and support of the platform. I am also responsible for marketing our product and working with our customers to improve it.
- Led the design, development, deployment. and support of the platform.
- Marketed product and worked with customers on collecting feedback and improving the site.
Software Developer2010 - 2012Bulgarian Academy of Sciences
- Contributed to a semantic web scientific project as part of my master's thesis: Semantic Technologies for Web Services and Technology Enhanced Learning, or SINUS, located at http://sinus.iinf.bas.bg/index.php.
- Developed a SPARQL graphical designer and semantic annotator for the project.
Software Engineer2007 - 2011Micro Focus PLC
Technologies: Java, Google Web Toolkit, Apache Struts, Maven, C#, Visual Studio, WPF, WCF
- Developed and maintained a service-based solution with a service and service-consuming Visual Studio extension.
- Developed an online survey platform.
- Developed and maintained the application portfolio management enterprise view. This includes development in C++ as well as legacy code maintenance of web application.
Junior Developer2006 - 2007IGE + XAO Balkan, Ltd.
Technologies: C++, CATIA
- Developed an electrical module for the PLM product CATIA V5 using C++ and CATIA (computer-aided three dimensional interactive application).
Junior Developer2004 - 2005Tara Soft, Ltd.
- Developed websites using the LAMP (Linux, Apache, PHP, MySQL) architecture.
- Converted a static HTML design (from a designer) into a dynamic site using PHP and MySQL, all while considering the client’s requirements.
- Python Deep Learning – Second Edition (Other amazing things)https://www.packtpub.com/big-data-and-business-intelligence/python-deep-learning-second-edition
I wrote the thoroughly revised second edition of the book "Python Deep Learning," published by Packt.
- Python Algorithmic Trading (Development)https://github.com/ivan-vasilev/atpy
I'm the author of an event-based Python algorithmic trading library with a focus on machine learning. Some of the features are:
• Real-time and historical bar and tick data from IQFeed.
• API integration with Quandl and INTRINIO.
• Storing and retrieving historical data and other datasets with PostgreSQL and InfluxDB.
• Backtesting historical data using different datasets.
• Placing orders via the Interactive Brokers Python API.
- First Place at Skin Lesion Analysis towards Melanoma Detection Challenge at ISBI 2016 (Other amazing things)https://biomedicalimaging.org/2016/?page_id=422
While working at ExB, my team and I participated in and won a medical image segmentation contest "Skin Lesion Analysis towards Melanoma Detection challenge" at ISBI 2016.
- Second Place at Gland Segmentation Challenge Contest at MICCAI 2015 (Other amazing things)https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/dcs/research/tia/glascontest/
While working at ExB, my team and I participated and won 2nd place at a medical image segmentation contest "Gland Segmentation Challenge Contest" at MICCAI 2015.
- Deep Neural Networks (Development)https://github.com/ivan-vasilev/neuralnetworks
Deep neural networks with GPU support.
- ZaKolite.bg (Development)
SaaS platform that allows automotive parts companies to create their own web shops and participate in a common marketplace, located at zakolite.bg. The system is integrated with the most widely adopted and comprehensive auto parts database.
- Semantic Technologies for Web Services and Technology Enhanced Learning (Development)http://sinus.iinf.bas.bg/index.php
Interdisciplinary research project (Bulgarian Academy of Sciences) aimed at advancing two of the fastest evolving information technologies—service-oriented computing and technology enhanced learning by applying the semantic web service methodology.
- A Deep Learning Tutorial: From Perceptrons to Deep Networks (Publication)https://www.toptal.com/machine-learning/an-introduction-to-deep-learning-from-perceptrons-to-deep-networksThe recent resurgence in Artificial Intelligence has been powered in no small part by a new trend in machine learning, known as "Deep Learning". In this article, I'll introduce you to the key concepts and algorithms behind Deep Learning, beginning with the simplest building block.
FrameworksMachine Learning, Caffe, Apache Wicket, Ember.js, Hibernate, Google Web Toolkit
Libraries/APIsKeras, Aparapi, TensorFlow, Pandas, jQuery, Songkick API, RequireJS, Rdio API, OWL API, SoundCloud API, Backbone.js, PyTorch, Facebook API, Dojo Toolkit
ToolsMaven, Subversion (SVN), Git, Gradle
ParadigmsObject-oriented Programming (OOP), Agile Software Development, GPGPU, Event-driven Programming
StoragePostgreSQL, MySQL, InfluxDB
OtherArtificial Intelligence (AI), Deep Learning, Machine Learning Algorithms, Neural Networks, Deep Neural Networks, Convolutional Neural Networks, Recurrent Neural Networks, Algorithmic Trading
- Master's degree in Artificial Intelligence2009 - 2012Sofia University St. Kl. Ohridski - Sofia, Bulgaria
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Systems and Technologies2005 - 2009Technical University of Sofia - Sofia, Bulgaria