Verified Expert in Engineering
Jamie is an iOS developer working with Xcode, Swift, Objective-C, UIKit, and Core Data on a daily basis. He stays up to date on best practices that are being adopted by the iOS community and implements them into his work. Jamie strives to provide an excellent user experience through a clean, maintainable code.
The most amazing...
...app I’ve worked on was Haiku Home, to control Haiku ceiling fans and lights.
- Designed, developed, and created “Other Words” — a Catch Phrase party game for iPhone.
- Learned the Network framework, Apple’s modern solution for TCP and UDP communications.
- Implemented in-app purchases using StoreKit. Launched version 1.0 in July 2020 and continue to make improvements to date.
- Took over as lead iOS developer for a white-label app that was branded to 300+ schools.
- Improved a Swift codebase architecture that had problems such as extensive use of global variables, using dictionaries as the model layer instead of proper classes/structs, no use of private access level, poor naming conventions, and no code comments.
- Rewrote several view controllers in order to fix bugs and add new features.
- Rewrote the transport layer to use the Codable protocol. Suggested best practices and improvements regarding their RESTful API.
- Worked through Fastlane and App Store Connect issues on a weekly basis.
Big Ass Fans
- Served as lead iOS developer for the “Haiku by BAF” app that controls Haiku ceiling fans, lights, and wall switches.
- Performed the work required to make the app universal, i.e., properly running on iPad (no longer a scaled-up iPhone screen) in both portrait and landscape mode with support for Split View.
- Rewrote half the codebase from Objective-C to Swift.
- Improved performance by using Instruments to identify slow code and memory issues.
- Rearchitected the app to use dependency injection for view controllers and avoid segues.
- Researched the Core Bluetooth framework and wrote the code to control third-generation Haiku products that will communicate via Bluetooth.
- Communicated to our cloud server via JSON. Downloaded new Firmware files and persisted them to Core Data.
- Documented best practices and naming conventions in the repository’s README.
Freelance iOS Developer
- Completed What's Next, an iPad app for AARP's Life Reimagined Initiative, for Bananas Digital Agency.
- Contributed to the creation of an app for the multifamily real estate industry for SightPlan, Inc.
- Developed and deployed an iPad app for MWM Digital to promote the city of Houston, Texas for a global conference that Houston was a finalist to host.
Haiku by BAFhttps://apps.apple.com/us/app/haiku-by-baf/id902021647
UIKit, iOS SDK, Core Location, Core Bluetooth, Core Data
Xcode, Auto Layout, Interface Builder, TestFlight, Git
Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering Degree in Electrical Engineering
University of Kentucky - Lexington, Kentucky
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring