Python Developer in Vancouver, BC, Canada
Software Development Engineer2018 - PRESENTAmazon
Technologies: Java, Lambda, DynamoDB, CloudFormation, StepFunctions
- Designed and developed microservices architecture.
- Suspended non-paying accounts.
- Generated invoices for AWS customers.
Freelance Software Developer2017 - 2018Iono (via Toptal)
Technologies: Python, Django, Vue.js, AWS, Docker
- Created an SPA from scratch using Vue/Vuex.
- Create a back-end service application from scratch and deployed it to several environments (for testing and production).
- Designed and implemented the REST API for the SPA to interact with.
- Designed and partially implemented the environment setup, supported by AWS and HCB (a third-party provider).
- Entirely debugged and refactored legacy code to parse medical files/data from different vendors.
Freelance Senior Django Developer2016 - 2018ConsumerAffairs.com (via Toptal)
Technologies: Django, Python, MySQL, PostgreSQL, REST, Docker
- Designed and implemented REST APIs for different purposes and use cases.
- Refactored existing code to increase overall performance.
- Worked closely with product managers to deliver effective and efficient solutions to business problems.
Freelance Node/React Developer2017 - 2017Netspark Media, Inc. (via Toptal)
- Created an MVP from scratch for a Chrome extension to show security risks in the Chrome browser.
- Extended the MVP as per the client request, adding/changing/removing features.
- Added an HTML-based UI for the extension to allow the user to select different modes and see security reports.
Freelance Python/Node Developer2016 - 2016BuildRX (via Toptal)
Technologies: Python, Node.js, AWS, Ruby
- Created AWS Lambda functions to handle input data for system integration.
- Created an API endpoint for the main integration.
- Deployed the service (in Ruby) on AWS EC2 based on an existing codebase.
- Implemented integration flow based on input eCommerce data and produced output based on established POC.
- Integrated code with Mandrill to send output via email.
Freelance Python/Django Developer2015 - 2016Atlantic Metro (via Toptal)
Technologies: Python, Django, PostgreSQL, MySQL
- Created a script to migrate metadata from Ubersmith into the models in the system.
- Generalized the commission structure, generation, and payment of the sales agents system.
- Modified HTML/CSS code to display a new information scheme.
- Created automated tasks to synchronize sales information and generate commissions and partial payments.
Freelance Full-stack PHP Developer2015 - 2016Tough Space Consulting (via Toptal)
- Created schema for job dispatching, commission, and bonus plan manipulation.
- Created routines and schema to persist front-end information input.
- Created and maintained migration files and code manually.
Freelance Data/Cloud Engineer2015 - 2016Engineers Gate LP (via Toptal)
Technologies: Java, Python, Cassandra, PostgreSQL
- Created a Java app for huge data transfer from a PostgreSQL DB to a Cassandra DB.
- Created a Python script to translate SQL-like queries into CQL queries.
- Created a Python script to perform client-side filtering of huge data sets.
Software Engineer2015 - 2016Intel
Technologies: Java, Ant, C/C++, AWS
- Created virtual environments to be used for stress tests.
- Adapted code to work on several operating systems.
- Prepared build systems for AWS environments.
- Automated AWS environment deployments.
- Made improvements in broker systems to better handle concurrent messaging.
Freelance Python Developer2015 - 2015BetterVoice.com (via Toptal)
Technologies: Python, Django
- Added i18n support for a big set of Django templates.
- Created POE files for language translation by the client's team.
- Created an editor macro to automate i18n tag edition and increase speed.
Project Manager2015 - 2015Bytelion
Technologies: Python, Django, PostreSQL, AWS, Marionette.js, Backbone.js
- Managed the personnel budget for the project.
- Held daily Scrum meetings with the team.
- Participated in the interview process for technical hires.
- Managed feedback and expectations from the client.
- Communicated requirements to the team.
- Released the MVP.
Project Manager2014 - 2015ValleyWorks
Technologies: PHP, Yii, HTML5, CSS3, Python, AngularJS, Django, MEAN
- Fixed bugs and improved an existing web app developed in PHP with the Yii framework.
- Managed a project for a Django and AngularJS web app for economic chart plotting (in D3.js).
- Managed a project for a Django and Ember.js web app for an eCommerce site.
Senior Software Engineer2014 - 2015Vates S.A.
Technologies: C++, Make, Bash, Perforce
- Adapted low-level legacy C++ code to work with a new RESTful API in TV set top boxes.
Software Team Leader2013 - 2014ClariPhy
Technologies: C/C++, Python, Perl, Bash
- Designed the computer architecture for standalone optical communication equipment.
- Managed the software development team by distributing the workload, following progress, determining activities, and presenting results.
- Developed a Python script to automate initialization and administration software for the equipment's operating system.
- Developed a Python script to automate the testing process for all APIs produced by the team using Google Test.
- Cross-compiled several open source libraries and software to work with the equipment's computer.
Senior Engineer2012 - 2014ClariPhy
Technologies: Perl, Python, Bash
- Verified Verilog digital designs against high-level C++ communication models.
- Developed Perl scripts for testing automation and code generation.
- Developed Python scripts for automated modeling of low-level digital synthesis.
- Verified digital designs against synthesized designs through gate-level simulations.
- Developed a Bash script to automate verification and regression flow.
Security Consultant2010 - 2012Hewlett-Packard
Technologies: Unix, Active Directory, Perl, MS Excel, Bash
- Created, modified, and deleted user accounts on several server platforms, including Unix and Active Directory.
- Wrote automation scripts to perform several common tasks under several technologies (Perl, MS Excel, Bash, and more).
- Planned the daily tasks for the entire team and handled several projects across the team.
- Worked on abandoned requests for several clients to make the company compliant with its SLA for such clients.
- Created and updated all documentation for the team, making certification of the ISO 27001 norm possible.
Engineer Intern2009 - 2009Centro de Investigaciones Aplicadas
Technologies: C/C++, PIC, Assembly
- Created several test benches for different modules of a radar that has been out of use for twenty years.
- Reviewed digital circuit documentation regarding different modules that integrated the radar.
- Served as a technical reference for software related issues for the rest of the organization.
- Designed and implemented several prototype modules for an embedded system-wide control computer.
- Re-implemented malfunctioning digital circuitry from scratch using digital design techniques.
- Pydoodler (Development)https://github.com/jverce/pydoodler
Graphical software developed in Python used to create and store simple color drawings. This is one of the many projects that I developed as a Computer Engineering student. The app is fully object-oriented. It was developed using the Pygame framework.
- Test Bench Generator (Other amazing things)
The product of this project is a Perl script that automates the generation of test benches for formal verification of digital designs. This achieved an improvement in efficiency that allowed the company to save approximately 1 year of testing. The company was able to achieve a great time-to-market with a bug-free design.
- Research Project (MPI-2) (Other amazing things)
As a final project for my Computer Engineering degree, I concentrated my efforts on investigating the performance and development impact that one-sided communication has in distributed MPI-2 applications when the underlying network technology is InfiniBand. The comparison was done against two-sided communication.
- Trycatch (Development)https://github.com/jverce/trycatch
Trycatch is a Java game that was developed as part of the Computer Engineering curricula. It was developed using the standard AWT libraries provided by the language. It is fully object-oriented and has multi-thread capabilities, which provides a great graphical experience in multi-core computers.
FrameworksDjango REST Framework, Django, Redux, Express.js, Yii, Ruby on Rails (RoR), CakePHP, AngularJS, Spring, Spark
ToolsSublime Text 3, Eclipse IDE, GCC, Vim Text Editor, Mongoose, GDB, Emacs, Javadoc
ParadigmsParallel & Distributed Computing, Functional Programming, Concurrent Programming, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), GPGPU
PlatformsLinux, JSE, CUDA
Libraries/APIsVue.js, React, Node.js, jQuery, OpenMP, MPI, Ruby on Rails API, OpenCV
StoragePostgreSQL, MySQL, MongoDB, SQLite
- Graduate degree in Digital Marketing2015 - 2015Universidad Nacional de Córdoba - Córdoba, Argentina
- Master's degree in Business Administration2013 - 2015Universidad Empresarial Siglo 21 - Córdoba, Argentina
- Graduate degree in Business Management2011 - 2012Universidad Empresarial Siglo 21 - Córdoba, Argentina
- Master's degree in Computer Engineering2004 - 2012Universidad Nacional de Córdoba - Córdoba, Argentina
- Functional Programming in Scala SpecializationDECEMBER 2018 - PRESENTÉcole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne
- Machine Learning with TensorFlow on Google Cloud Platform SpecializationOCTOBER 2018 - PRESENT
- Deep Learning SpecializationOCTOBER 2018 - PRESENTDeeplearning.ai
- Data Science SpecializationJULY 2018 - PRESENTJohns Hopkins University