Verified Expert in Engineering
DevOps Engineer and Software Developer
Jerome is a certified DevOps engineer with extensive knowledge of microservice architecture, web application delivery, and web service management on cloud and containers. In addition, he is knowledgeable on DevOps's people, process, and technology aspects. Jerome is agile, pragmatic, and gets things done.
Amazon Web Services (AWS), Kubernetes, AWS Lambda, Linux, Cloud, Serverless
The most amazing...
...project I've done is refactoring a data platform product into a microservice architecture that led to faster deployment and lower error rates.
Senior DevOps Engineer | Software Engineer | Consultant
- Served as a lead DevOps engineer and software engineer in the core team tasked with full-stack software delivery and management of an AIOps platform product written on Go, Node.js, and Python, running on AWS Lambda, DynamoDB, and more.
- Streamlined the software development process and deployment by implementing Scrum, refactoring application architecture, and optimizing a CI/CD pipeline using GitLab CI and MLOps and DevOps processes, which reduced deployment error to almost zero.
- Wrote Architecture Decision Records (ADR) and led the domain-driven microservice architecture design, implementation, and refactoring of product components.
- Led the UI/UX refactoring of a data-intensive application that resulted in a significant positive user experience.
- Integrated OpenAI and other LLMs using LangChain in the application.
- Troubleshot issues efficiently using CloudWatch Logs, CloudWatch metrics, X-Ray, and more.
Bloomberg Industry Group - Main
- Accelerated the development of an Infrastructure as Code (IaC) compliance engine which was used by the organization to help developers create secure and cost-effective IaC.
- Assisted the security team in developing policy as code (Rego and OPA), which accelerated their policy development.
- Integrated the aforementioned compliance engine with the organization's GitLab instance, which enabled developers to get feedback in the early stages of development.
Lead Cloud Engineer
BMO Bank of Montreal
- Designed and implemented the OpenAPIs to expose the bank's internal system to the third party for open banking purposes.
- Recommended solutions to the cloud engineering team on bottlenecks and other cloud deployment-related issues.
- Presented, designed, and implemented solutions to various teams in the bank for gating purposes (e.g., information security, business, API Review Council (APIRC), and more).
- Provided advice and recommendations to the architecture team on solutions presented.
Apache Flink and Zeppelin Expert
- Developed an Amazon Kinesis and Apache Flink-based real-time cryptocurrency analysis program.
- Made improvements to the crypto market data collector written in Go.
- Collaborated with a data analyst on implementing calculations efficiently by suggesting proper data structures and transformations.
Software Developer | DevOps Engineer
Competitive Media Technologies Limited
- Improved performance of the back-end system and application responsiveness through application performance monitoring and SQL query analysis.
- Refactored a Django-based monolithic application into modules to make the application cloud-native, scalable, and robust.
- Developed automation to deploy and optimize Django and Node.js-based back-end jobs in Kubernetes.
- Created a POC of Argo as workflow management engine for the backend.
TD Bank Group
- Sped up the cloud resource provisioning process by 1500% through blueprint (Cloudify and OpenStack infrastructure code) optimization.
- Enhanced the test environment upgrade scheduling and collaboration by developing an extensible self-service portal for the IT operations team.
- Improved the reporting process by removing manual steps and unnecessary handoff.
Enterprise DevOps Engineer
Mosaic North America
- Developed best practice documentation and promoted DevOps cultures across global IT teams across the US, UK, and Canada.
- Collaborated closely with development, QA, and infrastructure teams to identify and solve bottlenecks in the application delivery process.
- Created proofs of concept using new cloud technologies or methodologies and demonstrated these to various development teams.
- Implemented continuous integration and continuous deployment pipelines across various programs or development teams using Azure DevOps, VSTS, Jenkins, and GitLab.
- Migrated legacy applications to Kubernetes and Microsoft Azure Cloud.
- Configured Prometheus, ELK cluster, and New Relic to monitor infrastructure and enterprise application performances.
Senior DevOps Engineer
- Contributed to architecting and developing highly available IT monitoring solutions and other operations tools, mostly written in Python, using Agile methodologies.
- Developed scripts, such as Chef cookbooks, AWS CloudFormation templates, and Terraform templates to automate deployments.
- Developed serverless applications and RESTful APIs using Serverless Framework and Node.js to optimize IT operations.
- Developed, deployed, and maintained the custom monitoring solution and deployment tools capable of monitoring 20,000+ devices.
- Provided Level 3 support for our clients, which involved solving tough issues, such as issues in web servers (LAMP stacks), AWS, VMWare, Linux/Unix, Zenoss, Nagios, ELK stack, Splunk, and more.
Linux Systems Engineer
Relation House Digital Bureau
- Deployed, patched, optimized and monitored high-traffic production load balancers, Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP (LAMP) stacks, Nginx, Varnish, and Squid Proxy according to the runbook.
- Set up NMS tools such as Nagios and Zenoss to monitor systems.
- Responded to NMS alerts and resolved issues related to the web application to ensure that the applications were available within the SLA. Made sure that the runbook was up to date for other engineers to use for troubleshooting purposes.
- Coordinated code and infrastructure changes with web developers and stakeholders before deployment to ensure resource availability and smooth deployment.
Software Engineer | Systems Administrator
- Developed voice and video over IP, instant messaging, and patient record management system components for RxBox, a telemedicine device capable of capturing and transmitting signals to a clinical specialist remotely.
- Created a web-based parent-child matching application written in PHP for an international adoption agency.
- Architected a web-based admin interface for a commercially available embedded Linux appliance.
- Developed programmer's manual and tested sample codes for a commercially available wireless point of sale (POS) terminal.
- Maintained, patched, and installed laboratory software and equipment consisting of at least 100 Linux desktops and servers, routers, and switches at the College of Engineering of the University of the Philippines.
- Tested, deployed, and monitored networking equipment, parabolic antenna, and power over ethernet adapters for use in a national government-funded project to connect schools in rural areas in the Philippines to the internet.
Serverless API Gateway Service Proxy Plugin | EventBridge Modulehttps://www.serverless.com/plugins/serverless-apigateway-service-proxy
RxBox | Portable Telemedicine Devicehttps://rxbox.chits.ph/what_is_rxbox/
Serverless Framework, Django, Swagger, JSON Web Tokens (JWT)
Node.js, REST APIs, Vue, PostgREST, Amazon Rekognition, FFmpeg
GitLab CI/CD, Jenkins, Confluence, NGINX, Terraform, Helm, GitHub, Git, Splunk, Amazon Elastic Container Service (Amazon ECS), AWS Fargate, Boto 3, Amazon CloudFront CDN, Apache, ELK (Elastic Stack), Chef, Ansible, Varnish, Amazon EKS, Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS), Celery, Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE)
Microservices, DevOps, Scrum, Agile, Testing, Test-driven Development (TDD), Continuous Integration (CI), Continuous Delivery (CD), Serverless Architecture, ETL, Microservices Architecture, Data Science, Azure DevOps
Kubernetes, AWS Lambda, Linux, Azure, LAMP, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Docker, Rancher, Amazon EC2, Unix, Apache2, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Apache Flink, Zeppelin, New Relic
Amazon DynamoDB, NoSQL, MySQL, Redis, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Redshift, InfluxDB, PostgreSQL
Computer Networking, Serverless, Web Services, Site Reliability Engineering (SRE), Amazon API Gateway, Infrastructure as Code (IaC), Cloud, Containers, CI/CD Pipelines, Lambda Functions, Message Queues, Digital Platform Development, Amazon RDS, Scripting, Vulnerability Assessment, Cloud Security, Security, GitOps, Monitoring, Amazon Route 53, Web Servers, TCP/IP, Build & Release Engineering, SIP, SOAP, Data Engineering, ECS, Business, VoIP, XMPP, Containerization, Big Data, Open Banking, Machine Learning Operations (MLOps), Artificial Intelligence (AI), Generative Pre-trained Transformers (GPT), APIs, API Gateways, Argo CD
Certification in Data Science
University of Toronto, School of Continuing Studies - Online
Master's Degree in Business Administration
University of the Philippines - Quezon City, Philippines
Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering
University of the Philippines - Quezon City, Philippines
AWS Certified Data Analytics Specialty
Certified Kubernetes Administrator
Cloud Native Computing Foundation
AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional
AWS Certified Solutions Architect — Professional
Amazon Web Services