Verified Expert in Engineering
Joe is a Java application developer with over eight years of experience working with enterprise and small-scale applications. He is well versed in relational databases, application servers, REST APIs, and testing.
Amazon Web Services (AWS), Unix, JUnit, REST APIs, SQL, Hibernate, Java, Back-end, Windows, IntelliJ, Git
The most amazing...
...thing I've coded is a homebrew streaming media server which broadcasts videos to viewers and incorporates a video catalog, queue, and scheduled programming.
- Developed and maintained several integrated Spring Boot applications in a microservice architecture, communicating between services using REST APIs.
- Integrated back end with payment processing and collection services like PayPal.
- Implemented authentication using OAuth2 and eventually with AWS Cognito.
- Participated in architectural design sessions and discussions. Provided feedback and direction for high-level design decisions and considerations.
Software Developer / Architect
International Trip Planning Services
- Implemented extensive data modeling around flights, trips, aircraft, passengers, and more.
- Used Java reflections to create an automated framework for stamping/filling PDF, Word, Excel, and plain text templates.
- Provided REST API endpoints for customers to upload trip data.
- Implemented REST and SOAP services for transmitting data to government agencies.
- Generated PDFs from scratch using a combination of JSF templating and iText.
- Architectured design decisions and implementation.
Senior Java Developer
- Developed a high-performance Java web application (Spring Boot) that backs up and restores customer data in SalesForce by interfacing with the SalesForce API and writing to/reading from Apache Hive tables.
- Designed and implemented complicated logic to restore previously backed up SalesForce data involving dependent/child objects.
- Re-architected the application to break certain processes into atomic parts, so long-running processes can be stopped and restarted at arbitrary times, greatly facilitating the upgrading of customers to new versions.
- Wrote unit and integration tests for several Spring Boot applications where previously there was zero test coverage.
- Participated in high-level architectural design discussions for complicated business processes.
Senior Software Developer / Architect
Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- Managed a team of overseas engineers and mentored on best coding practices and writing effective tests.
- Coordinated production deployment of various services, including QA checks.
- Participated in high-level design discussions and architectural reviews.
Senior Software Developer
- Developed an airline pricing aggregator using Spring Boot. The application would query a number of different sources for typical air itineraries using a multi-threaded architecture and compile the results for human consumption.
- Maintained several legacy Java applications, responding to outages, diagnosing errors, and implementing critical fixes.
- Developed and implemented messaging architecture using Apache Kafka.
Software Engineer IV
- Collaborated across teams to implement a new REST API endpoint for web applications.
- Mentored junior developers on good coding practices and writing automated tests.
- Taught the development team to write unit tests using JUnit and Mockito.
- Used AppDynamics to identify several inefficient processes and propose methods for improvement.
- Refactored memory-inefficient Hibernate queries to use pagination and scrollable results.
- Developed for and maintained an internal deployment tool written in Java.
- Created an internal Java application that collected availability metrics of customer instances and correlated this data with support tickets.
- Built an internal Java application to manage security (via LDAP) for customer instances.
- Implemented authentication for a web application using role assumption with AWS.
- Leveraged AWS APIs to retrieve customers' AWS usage data and feed it into Apptio's flagship application for aggregation and metrics.
TSDBot: A Java-based Discord Chat Bothttps://github.com/schoolyd/tsdbot2
1. Easily-extensible array of "functions" ranging from trivial (e.g., replacing some of the text in a previous message and returning the result) to more complicated (e.g., picking a random line from the chat history and sending it in a tweet to the community manager of the video game developer Bungie)
2. Integration with AWS, specifically S3 and EC2
3. Via Dropwizard, implements an embedded Jetty server for serving HTTP requests, including a navigable website
4. Implements streaming, broadcasting media service integrated with the Discord chat and the hosted website. This service is modeled on a "job polling" framework, where the streaming media are stored on separate machines alongside a standalone "agent" executable JAR. This agent sends periodic heartbeats to the Discord bot, communicating which videos it has available. The Discord bot can display this video catalog to users. If a user wants to play any video, the Discord bot will place a "job" in its queue for the specific agent, and the next time the agent sends a heartbeat, it will receive the "play this video" job and will begin streaming the video
Unit Testing, Automated Testing, REST, Object-oriented Design (OOD), Continuous Integration (CI), Continuous Delivery (CD), Microservices, Microservices Architecture, DevOps
Back-end, Writing & Editing, APIs, LDAP, Amazon API Gateway, RESTful Microservices, Discord, OAuth, Integration Testing, Multithreading, Streaming Data
Spring Boot, TestNG, Spring, Mockito, JUnit, Spring MVC, Jakarta Server Pages (JSP), JavaServer Faces, JSF, Seam, JBoss Seam, Hibernate, Thymeleaf, Vaadin, OAuth 2
REST APIs, FFmpeg, iText, Quartz, Liquibase, AsyncTask, Salesforce API
WildFly, Jenkins, Git, IntelliJ, Apache Maven, Gradle, Mercurial, TeamCity, AWS SDK, Kafka Streams, Amazon Elastic Container Service (Amazon ECS), GitHub, AWS CloudFormation
Amazon Web Services (AWS), JBoss, Unix, Amazon EC2, AWS Lambda, Windows, Apache Kafka, Kubernetes, Salesforce
JSON, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), JBoss AS, MySQL, Oracle SQL, PostgreSQL
Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering
Rice University - Houston, Texas, USA