Director of Education and Training2019 - PRESENTToyota Research Institute Advanced Development
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Cassandra, Redis, C, Java, Ruby, AWS, Git, Python
- Ran dozens of classes on agile development, leadership, and scrum. Ensured several hundred untrained Japanese developers were capable of developing software in a fast-paced scrum-style environment.
- Designed multiple educational programs for hundreds of Toyota staff. These included online English courses, self-paced programming classes, and soft skills courses in management and agile development.
- Served as product owner for TRI-AD "Dojo," an education startup within the Toyota group responsible for working with various external partners to deliver modern software development training to Japanese clients within and outside of the Toyota group.
Senior Consultant2018 - PRESENTInstaclustr
Technologies: Java, Spark, Apache Kafka, Cassandra
- Developed Instaclustr's PaaS offerings for Cassandra and Spark.
- Helped Instaclustr clients successfully deploy and optimize Apache technologies such as Cassandra, Spark, and Kafka.
Senior DevOps Engineer2015 - 2017CloudPassage
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Docker, Kubernetes, Spark, Terraform, PostgreSQL, Cassandra, Elasticsearch, Redis, Rackspace, AWS, Python, Ruby, Chef
- Served as a data architect which entailed optimizing the Cassandra data model and tuning multiple Cassandra clusters.
- Solved production outages and created monitoring systems as an SRE.
- Wrote the infrastructure code in Chef and Terraform to automate deployments, testing, and configuration changes.
- Hardened cloud systems through code auditing, penetration testing, patch management, and enforcing the encryption of data at rest and in transit.
- Created numerous tools and scripts to automate common forensic tasks such as tracking Chef server changes or updating user ACLs.
- Designed and implemented migration to a Docker-based Mesos-Marathon infrastructure with support for multiple clouds (AWS, Rackspace, SoftLayer).
Software Engineer2010 - 2014Knewton
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Cassandra, AWS, Scala, Python, Java
- Wrote unit and integration tests for Java services.
- Helped develop a student event microservice in Java.
- Created a deployment tool in Python that leveraged AWS APIs (Boto library), Chef, and CloudFormation to simplify environment creation.
- Automated test environment creation in AWS and served as an SRE during my tenure as a systems engineer.
- Served as the deployment engineer for Java services and managed the Jenkins servers.