Senior Engineer2016 - PRESENTBraintree
Technologies: Ruby on Rails, Apache Kafka, AWS SQS, Go, Etcd
- Worked in a scaling and performance team to meet a growing customer demand on the core credit card processing API through code tuning.
- Developed the infrastructure for offloading persistence through time-critical code paths.
- Planned and executed zero downtime data store migrations.
- Mentored junior engineers.
- Developed a distributed locking store using Etcd.
Senior Engineer2015 - 2016Kit Check
Technologies: Ruby on Rails, MySQL, Celluloid, Resque, AngularJS, Tableau
- Developed robust Rails APIs for AngularJS UI front-end apps, delivering controlled medication tracking software deployed to hundreds of hospitals.
- Implemented a queuing infrastructure for a two-way integration with onsite hospital HL7 electronic medical record systems.
- Developed data warehousing and client reporting features to deliver BI value around medication usage.
- Performance tuned and eliminated defects through the use of debuggers and profilers.
- Mentored junior engineers.
Senior Engineer | Back-end Architect2012 - 2014Taxi Magic | Curb
Technologies: Ruby on Rails, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Resque
- Developed new, highly tested RESTful APIs in Rails for the flagship mobile booking application.
- Led the development of internal services using geospatial data for real-time client/provider taxi matching.
- Introduced the culture of unit testing and code reviews.
- Bootstrapped the continuous integration for all major applications along with automatic code quality checks.
- Headed the development for an in-house payment system for mobile applications and in-vehicle credit swipe devices.
- Introduced the initiatives to decompose monolithic applications into microservices.
Senior Engineer | Team Lead2010 - 2012Vetstreet
Technologies: Java, Hibernate, Ruby on Rails, JRuby, SOAP, Apache Camel, OSGi, Akka
- Led an effort to refactor an undocumented PHP portal system with Ruby on Rails in order to integrate with a custom CMS.
- Evangelized development practices such as service-oriented architecture and unit testing as well as good source control practices.
- Implemented event-driven, queue-based services for sending millions of emails with complex targeted marketing rules.
- Standardized a number of Java libraries used for pulling data from remote veterinarian management systems, moving them into a centralized database and providing standardized object-relational mapping objects around them to improve development time.
- Mentored junior developers.
Software Engineer (Junior to Senior)2005 - 2010Congressional Quarterly
Technologies: Java, Hibernate, Ruby on Rails, JRuby, SOAP, Oracle, jQuery
- Designed and developed advanced legislative search functions to provide a unified interface to over 40 disparate data source products.
- Refactored and maintained internal fulfillment application which integrated billing functions and customer service notes and provided user access to subscription content.
- Collaborated closely with editorial team for a complete CQ website redesign and served on the UX steering committee while advocating for emerging UI technologies.
- Developed the CQ.com BlackBerry app to streamline mobile access to materials.
- Migrated an acquired Visual Basic/Access product to a Java Wicket application backed by Oracle to provide analytics into over 50 years of FEC filing data.
QA Engineer2004 - 2004IBM
Technologies: Perl, WebSphere
- Developed the automated testing for web-based interfaces for IBM service processors for server administration.