Verified Expert in Engineering
For the past 10 years, José has been working as a mobile developer—amassing a vast knowledge of the Android SDK and building highly interactive mobile apps with complex UIs and multimedia elements along with network communication and an overriding prerogative to provide the best UX possible. At his core, José is driven by his curiosity, and this enables him to create solutions that cover all the necessities and more.
Slack, Git, Android Studio, MacOS, IntelliJ IDEA
The most amazing...
...project I've worked on is the official FC Porto app which allows fans to experience the club from the inside through dedicated content.
- Built internal libraries to integrate into the main product.
- Developed proofs of concept that supported the company's decision regarding product development.
- Implemented SDKs from various brands to interact with physical devices in multiple platforms using Kotlin Multiplatform Mobile.
- Participated in the initial version of the Abihome app.
- Implemented the redesign for version 2.0 of the Abihome app.
- Developed an accompanying Android app to allow students to choose mottos when shaking the device.
- Built a REST API to be consumed by mobile apps on a separate project using Node.js, Express, TypeScript, and MongoDB.
MindSea Development, Inc. (via Toptal)
- Reviewed legacy code to improve location tracking implementation, using geofences to automatically start and finish the tracking.
- Added support for location tracking when the user isn't using the app and while the device is idle.
- Created pipelines for CI/CD using Bitrise, deployed it to the Google Play Store, and distributed test builds using Firebase App Distribution.
- Identified and fixed bugs as part of a global code review.
- Refactored and improved a major feature, in a vertical way (UI, domain, data), according to provided layouts and with strict collaboration with Project Management.
- Developed server-side code, in Firebase Cloud Functions, to support migration and the refactor of a major feature.
- Helped with the implementation of the onboarding flow for an app.
- Tested and implemented an in-app update feature, improving user experience.
- Applied small improvements to already existing features.
TiCCC.com, LLC (via Toptal)
- Developed an Android app to log users' operations and tasks using Kotlin, with local data storage and authentication.
- Built a timer mechanism to act as a core feature of the project.
- Created a mechanism to wake the device when the task timer reaches the estimated time, using services, BroadcastReceiver and AlarmManager.
- Developed mobile applications for the Android and iOS platforms.
- Built a proof-of-concept chatbot with Google Actions for a car insurance company.
- Implemented, in both Android and iOS using GeoJSON, a map with layers indicating different hazard levels for fire or meteorological events.
Freelance Android/BLE Developer
- Implemented a scanning mechanism to scan for BLE beacons nearby.
- Enabled communication with a Firebase Realtime database to retrieve and store the beacons' related data.
- Integrated developed solutions in a React Native codebase.
- Worked on a range of projects for clients in the sports, food, and retail industries.
- Built apps that focused on presenting complex UIs.
- Developed complex custom UI components and animations.
- Explored the interactions with Android wearable devices.
- Integrated with Firebase and other Google services.
- Implemented the integrations with push notification services such as Parse and Pushwoosh.
Android, Web, and Back-end Developer
- Contributed to the development of the Android mobile app.
- Developed a REST API that was consumed by the mobile apps.
- Participated in the development of a set of HTML tools to be used by the content creators' team.
- Integrated the content created into the Android mobile app.
- Formed and guided the teams that were using the newly developed tools.
ABIHOME | Die Abiapphttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.abihome.abihome
As part of the Android team, I worked on the first release of the app and was later responsible for refactoring the UI.
FC Porto Official Apphttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pt.android.fcporto
Among its many features, I highlighted the live feed for matches of the leading soccer team, the integration of live-stream content, and the implementation of custom push notifications with different sounds that acted as a key to user engagement. It also possessed several custom UI components: the calendar view, the competition screen, and an associated virtual card.
I worked closely with the design team to deliver great ideas and propose new features to the client.
Digital Tour Guide
As a member of the development team, my work focused on developing custom UI components and animations.
My contribution to this project was based on codebase improvements and implementation of some features.
Project Time Machineshttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ticcc.ptm
Android SDK, Glide, Express.js, Redux
Android Studio, Android Jetpack, Dialogflow, SourceTree, Slack, Git, Mongoose, Xcode, IntelliJ IDEA
Android, Firebase, MacOS, iOS, Bitrise
JSON, Cloud Firestore, MySQL, SQLite, MongoDB, Databases, Firebase Realtime Database
Retrofit 2, Google Analytics API, Firebase Android SDK, Android Architecture Components, RxJava 2, Pushwoosh, Node.js, Camera2 API
REST, Android Material Design, Model View Presenter (MVP), Model View Viewmodel (MVVM)
Firebase Cloud Functions, Room, Heap, Bluetooth Beacons, Kotlin Multiplatform Mobile (KMM), Bluetooth, Software Architecture, Software Development, QR Codes, GeoJSON, Video Livestreaming, Video Streaming, Audio Streaming
Integrated Master's Degree in Informatics and Computer Engineering
University of Porto, Faculty of Engineering - Porto, Portugal
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring