Verified Expert in Engineering
Data Scientist and Developer
Joseph is a data scientist with 3+ years of experience in computer vision, NLP, and tabular datasets. He's worked on analytics for large-scale medication adherence outreach programs, multi-task neural networks for brain microscopy image segmentation, and NLP models to detect COVID-19 outbreaks from news articles. He's also familiar with model explainability for credit risk assessment and fraud detection models. Joseph holds an MS in Computer Science with a specialization in machine learning.
Windows, Linux, Python, PyTorch, PySpark, SQL, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Git, Pandas, Scikit-learn
The most amazing...
...thing I've developed is a first-author paper published, BERT-based NLP model to detect COVID-19 outbreaks in food establishments via news articles.
AI and Machine Learning Senior Associate
- Engineered 100+ features using PySpark for customer authentication risk assessment models.
- Trained machine learning models over millions of records to predict fraudulent customer authentication events.
- Collaborated with business stakeholders to define model goals, scope, and KPIs.
- Assisted participants in learning in the Walmart Data Science Bootcamp.
- Answered questions and supported team project groups via weekly office hours.
- Led additional teaching sessions covering Natural Language Processing.
AI and Machine Learning Summer Associate
- Developed object‐oriented Python code to enable the explainability and interpretability of credit risk assessment models.
- Presented results and conclusions to the broader intern group and organization consisting of more than 20 colleagues.
- Visualized XGBoost prediction explanations by using partial dependence plots and Shapley value plots.
Graduate Research Assistant
Georgia Tech Research Institute
- Implemented the BERT and RoBERTa neural natural language processing models to automate COVID‐19 outbreak detection using web‐scraped news article contents.
- Published a paper as the first author in the Springer Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence as part of the 2021 Artificial Intelligence in Medicine Conference.
- Created a tutorial presentation for Microsoft Azure Machine Learning Studio to be used as a learning tool by internal and external collaborators.
Neural Data Science Lab @ Georgia Tech
- Developed a multi‐task convolutional neural network for microstructure segmentation and brain area classification of mouse brain X‐ray microtomography data.
- Instructed students during coding workshops by answering technical and conceptual questions for the 2019 Deep Learning for Microscopy Image Analysis Workshop at the Marine Biological Laboratory in Woods Hole, MA.
- Completed my thesis titled Multi-task Learning for Neural Image Classification and Segmentation and graduated with the Georgia Tech Research Option.
Software Engineering Summer Intern
- Trained natural language processing machine learning models using scikit-learn to automate incident ticket routing.
- Explained the summer project and results to VP‐level organization (40+ colleagues) during an end‐of‐internship presentation.
- Validated various data sources to ensure consistency across systems.
- Identified patients at risk of medication non-adherence in outcomes-based contracts and executed adherence outreach programs.
- Quality-tested 50+ features for an enterprise-level predictive modeling project in collaboration with stakeholders from several departments.
- Delivered a recurring SQL onboarding training course to new hires and members of the product development department.
- Coordinated the onboarding for eight new hires and guided curriculum development of the onboarding program, including adding one new SQL training and standardizing several existing classes.
COVID-19 Outbreak Detection in Food Establishments Using Web Scraping and RoBERTa
Diabetes Readmission Dashboardhttps://github.com/jmiano/ReaDash
Medication Review Modelinghttps://github.com/jmiano/Med-Review-NLP
Python, SQL, C, Java
PyTorch, Scikit-learn, Pandas, PySpark, Beautiful Soup, XGBoost, Dask, SpaCy
Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, Git, Tableau, Jira, Bitbucket, Confluence, DataGrip, LaTeX, Jupyter, Plotly, MATLAB, Splunk, Trello
Data Science, Object-oriented Design (OOD)
Windows, Linux, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Jupyter Notebook, Oracle Database, Oracle, Azure
Programming, Deep Learning, Computer Vision, Natural Language Processing (NLP), Data Visualization, Neural Networks, Random Forests, Data Analytics, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning, Data Analysis, GPT, Generative Pre-trained Transformers (GPT), Hypothesis Testing, Statistics, Data Structures, Web Scraping, Product Development, Product Analytics, Experimental Design, AIOps, Time Series, Time Series Analysis, Mentorship
Master's Degree in Computer Science
Georgia Institute of Technology - Atlanta, GA, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
Georgia Institute of Technology - Atlanta, GA, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Neuroscience
University of Miami - Miami, FL, USA