Ruby on Rails Developer
Joshua is an architect, engineer, and scientist with experience building large-scale systems dealing with everything from massive amounts of video data to heavy web traffic. He also has experience breaking monoliths into scalable microservice architectures and going the other way 'round. He's worked for Apple and AOL and has also led a group of 50+ consultants as their chief scientist.
Amazon Web Services (AWS), Docker, Heroku, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Git, Emacs, Vim Text Editor, Linux, OS X, Tailwind CSS
The most amazing...
...bug I've fixed required taking a system that couldn't even handle two machines and scaling it to over twenty in less than four weeks before shipping a new OS.
Expert Full-stack Developer
CoreValue Holdings, LLC
- Updated a legacy application from Rails 3.0 to Rails 6.0.
- Refactored survey and data input system to facilitate further customization and other new feature development.
- Expanded the core product to serve new industries and an expanded customer base.
Full-stack, Back-end Developer
Digital Swiss Gold (USA) LLC
- Enhanced a mobile app prototype in preparation for a wide-scale production launch.
- Refactored an order-processing back-end to enable distributed deployment.
- Implemented various analytics tracking capabilities to monitor customer engagement.
Senior Software Developer
- Supported the migration of a Spring/Hibernate system from PostgreSQL to Oracle.
- Designed and implemented a distributed messaging system to connect various components in a data collection pipeline.
- Created JNI-based bindings for a JPEG XR decoder written in C.
- Wrote a library to coordinate the submission of jobs to an HPC grid facility from a Python/Django web app.
- Implemented a custom Window's URL handler to enable launching local applications against data on a central server from within a browser window.
Simple Global, Inc.
- Led company-wide planning for a transition from a single monolith to microservice-based architecture.
- Guided decision making around the selection of technology stack, deployment infrastructure, and the continuous delivery pipeline.
- Designed and implemented OpenAPI specification, driven API documentation, and automated testing.
- Assisted with metrics collection and ETL workflow for accounting data.
Senior Software Engineer
- Designed and deployed AWS CodeDeploy/CF-based architecture for deploying internal back-office apps.
- Developed APIs to support business analytics.
- Migrated an existing code base from Datomic to PostgreSQL.
- Developed a Clojure-based web application to manage employee performance and goal setting.
- Developed middleware services to connect an array of third-party back-office systems.
Software Engineer — RoR
- Extended a CMS-like system to host FAQ content.
- Updated HTML and CSS for various static pages.
- Implemented a dynamically resizing button menu.
- Updated responsive design elements for mobile browsers.
- Fixed a variety of minor bugs in a legacy Rails codebase.
- Developed client infrastructures using various components of Amazon Web Services.
- Worked with teams at RedHat to build solutions on the JVM and JBoss platforms.
- Developed components of an SOA infrastructure that supports a variety of client projects, including the CityEats platform we developed for Scripps Network Interactive.
- Presented technical solutions at software conferences around the world.
- Helped introduce and develop new technologies with our team of 20+ software engineers.
- Fixed bugs reported on the main Exceptional.io app.
- Responded to support requests from Exceptional customers.
- Developed integration between Exceptional and Pivotal Tracker.
- Monitored servers for service interruptions and helped to diagnose, troubleshoot, and fix emerging issues.
- Assisted with transitioning the technology stack to new owners.
Back-end Software Engineer
- Migrated the primary CMS application from Ruby Enterprise Edition to Ruby 1.9.2.
- Optimized database performance and helped maintain consistent page load times across an order of magnitude increase in traffic.
- Scaled the platform from less than 100 locations to over 800 in less than three months.
- Designed a service-oriented architecture overhaul of the entire publishing platform.
- Participated in a company-wide effort to embrace open source and encourage employees from all departments to participate in the open-source community.
- Implemented A/B testing in consultation with marketing and editorial to gather feedback on headlines and advertising layouts.
Server Software Engineer
- Developed a Grand Central Dispatch-based web server for MacRuby called ControlTower.
- Upgraded the product for two major Rails revisions and one Ruby version.
- Managed the QA process for the team’s deliverables.
- Improved server and database performance from less-than-acceptable to ready-to-release.
Y-Combinator for Objective-Chttps://github.com/jballanc/objc-ycomb
Learning Swift Programming: Is it Ready for Prime Time?
Sinatra, RubyMotion, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Cocoa, WebObjects, Padrino, Redux, Next.js, Django, UIKit, Tailwind CSS, Express.js, Stimulus, Spring, Hibernate, AngularJS, Angular
Node.js, React, Compojure, Rack, jQuery, Nokogiri, Xcode Server, Twitter API
Vim Text Editor, Jira, GitHub, GitHub Pages, Bitbucket, Emacs, TextMate, GitLab, Chef, Amazon Simple Queue Service (SQS), AWS Simple Notification Service (SNS), Quartz Composer, Xcode, Git, Mercurial, Reagent
Gang of Four (GOF) Design Patterns, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Agile Software Development, Agile, Functional Programming, Kanban, Scrum, Distributed Programming, API Architecture, DevOps, Logic Programming
Android, Amazon Web Services (AWS), MacOS, iOS, Linux, FreeBSD, OS X, Heroku, Docker, JBoss, Visual Studio Code (VS Code)
SQLite, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Redis, Memcached, MongoDB
API Design, Architecture, API Integration, APIs, Software, Back-end, Mobile App Development, Software Development, Merb, Accounting Software, QuickTime, SANs, Code Architecture, Datomic, API Hooking, A/B Testing, Product Management
Doctorate in Computational Evolutionary Biology
Stevens Institute of Technology - New Jersey
Master's Degree in Chemical Biology
Stevens Institute of Techonolgy - New Jersey
Bachelor's Degree in Chemistry
Stevens Institute of Technology - New Jersey