Senior Software Developer2013 - 2019Glencoe Software
Technologies: Django, Python, Hibernate, Spring, Java
- Supported the migration of a Spring/Hibernate system from PostgreSQL to Oracle.
- Designed and implemented a distributed messaging system to connect various components in a data collection pipeline.
- Created JNI-based bindings for a JPEG-XR decoder written in C.
- Wrote a library to coordinate submission of jobs to a HPC grid facility from a Python/Django web app.
- Implemented a custom Window's URL handler to enable launching local applications against data on a central server from within a browser window.
Senior Architect2017 - 2018Simple Global, Inc.
Technologies: DevOps, Code Architecture, API Architecture, API Design, Spring, Java
- Led company-wide planning for a transition from a single monolith to microservice-based architecture.
- Guided decision making around the selection of technology stack, deployment infrastructure, and the continuous delivery pipeline.
- Designed and implemented OpenAPI specification, driven API documentation, and automated testing.
- Assisted with metrics collection and ETL workflow for accounting data.
Senior Software Engineer2014 - 2018Hendrick Automotive
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), React, Ruby on Rails (RoR), AWS, Datomic, Clojure
- Designed and deployed AWS CodeDeploy/CF-based architecture for deploying internal back-office apps.
- Developed APIs to support business analytics.
- Migrated an existing code base from Datomic to PostgreSQL.
- Developed a Clojure-based web application to manage employee performance and goal setting.
- Developed middleware services to connect an array of third-party back-office systems.
Software Engineer — RoR2014 - 2014Centzy
- Extended a CMS-like system to host FAQ content.
- Updated HTML and CSS for various static pages.
- Implemented a dynamically resizing button menu.
- Updated responsive design elements for mobile browsers.
- Fixed a variety of minor bugs in a legacy Rails codebase.
Chief Scientist2011 - 2013Burnside Digital
- Developed client infrastructures using various components of Amazon Web Services.
- Worked with teams at RedHat to build solutions on the JVM and JBoss platforms.
- Developed components of an SOA infrastructure that supports a variety of client projects, including the CityEats platform we developed for Scripps Network Interactive.
- Presented technical solutions at software conferences around the world.
- Helped introduce and develop new technologies with our team of 20+ software engineers.
Support Engineer2011 - 2011Exceptional
- Fixed bugs reported on the main Exceptional.io app.
- Responded to support requests from Exceptional customers.
- Developed integration between Exceptional and Pivotal Tracker.
- Monitored servers for service interruptions and helped to diagnose, troubleshoot, and fix emerging issues.
- Assisted with transitioning the technology stack to new owners.
Back-end Software Engineer2010 - 2011AOL
- Migrated the primary CMS application from Ruby Enterprise Edition to Ruby 1.9.2.
- Optimized database performance and helped maintain consistent page load times across an order of magnitude increase in traffic.
- Scaled the platform from less than 100 locations to over 800 in less than three months.
- Designed a service-oriented architecture overhaul of the entire publishing platform.
- Participated in a company-wide effort to embrace open source and encourage employees from all departments to participate in the open-source community.
- Implemented A/B testing in consultation with marketing and editorial to gather feedback on headlines and advertising layouts.
Server Software Engineer2006 - 2010Apple
Technologies: SANs, Quartz Composer, QuickTime, C, Objective-C, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Xcode Server
- Developed a Grand Central Dispatch-based web server for MacRuby called ControlTower.
- Upgraded the product for two major Rails revisions and one Ruby version.
- Managed the QA process for the team’s deliverables.
- Improved server and database performance from less-than-acceptable to ready-to-release.