Full-Stack Developer2018 - PRESENTUniversity of Colorado at Boulder
- Extracted data from third-party systems into a data lake for ETL development.
- Created an interactive campus-wide application to view and create reports.
- Built an animated timeline to show distribution of student's status' over time.
- Supported Node.js features for React applications.
- Built a Python-based API to support a React application.
Engineering Manager2015 - PRESENTIntelesense.net (Collaborate.org)
- Managed senior-level software development of Java/Angular applications.
- Managed release planning, Scrum/iteration management, and task prioritization.
- Oversaw global hiring and firing, vacation planning, and delegation of tasks.
- Prioritized tasks involving working with customers, upper management, and the development team to estimate, rank, and prioritize tasks to prepare for the planning of iterations and releases.
- Worked with other senior developers and the design team to architect and design new features and products.
- Tasked with the in-depth certification process of our software for our federal government contracts.
Blog Writer2019 - 2019OKTA
- Created blog posts to demonstrate how to use Okta authentication and authorization tools to secure various types of application.
- Created Java sample applications.
- Created Spring Boot sample applications.
- Created sample code repos to support blogs.
- Described authentication and authorization tools offered by Okta.
Senior Software Engineer2014 - 2015Intelesense.net (Collaborate.org)
- Led the development of a large-scale RESTful Java API.
- Created and maintained an application for data ingestion from various sources including hardware devices, CoT streaming servers, RSS, Twitter, and third-party APIs.
- Customized and maintained an Android application focused on displaying geo-mapped medical data for the military.
- Worked to acquire, analyze, process, and display satellite imagery.
- Oversaw a large Angular single-page app supported by our Java API.
Engineering Manager2011 - 2014ARRIS (Formerly Netopia/Motorola, Inc./Motorola Mobility, Inc./Motorola Home; Google)
- Subordinated goal setting, performance evaluations, career growth, and awards compensation.
- Handled roadmap planning and resource scheduling.
- Coordinated delivery of releases between Engineering, PSO, RMT, QA, and customers.
- Defined, managed, and tracked priorities regarding customer facing work, roadmap work, and other tasks requiring attention.
- Delegated work to appropriate team members, ensuring both team/individual growth and product quality.
- Worked with and managed team members globally, overcoming difficulties with language barriers and time differences.
- Interacted directly with customers to troubleshoot issues and gather requirements.
- Released tracking for ongoing work, vetting of incoming work, designing/architecting sessions, hosting and/or taking input from the team’s retrospective, and handling sprint reviews.
- Filled in as senior developer as needed for project completion.
Senior Software Engineer2006 - 2011ARRIS (Formerly Netopia/Motorola Inc./Motorola Mobility Inc./Motorola Home; Google)
- Developed, composed technical documentation, conducted unit testing, and reviewed code in JVM and multiple container environments (asynchronous, multi-threaded, clustered, Spring, Ant, Maven).
- Developed the interface, including HTTP, RESTful, and other web services using SOAP, JSON, and XML.
- Monitored and troubleshot network traffic using packet captures to inspect communication between servers/devices.
- Configured, troubleshot, and connected ACS to many different gateways, modems, bridges, set-top boxes, and other devices.
- Scripted and configured Linux/Solaris.
- Developed schema design for Oracle, Postgres, and hSQL.
- Migrated applications to AWS EC2/RDS.
- Participated in SPRB and SPPT to identify and encourage best practices for use of open source and other third party software. The teams also evaluated usage of third-party software within product teams.
- Mentored and supported junior team members.
- Provided training to engineering, PSO, RMT, QA, and other Motorola teams on new features, installation, and integration, software pedigree practices, and various other topics.
- Participated in and led multiple, often simultaneous, full-release lifecycles.
- Managed configurations, including source control including branching, merging, and builds.
- Set up demo environments for potential customers, trade-shows, and sprint reviews.
- Planned, tracked, reviewed, and led retrospectives for scrum methodology.
- Planned, prioritized, and created stories.
Senior Application Developer2001 - 2006LaGarde, Inc.
- Programmed automated websites that could be purchased, spun up, and customized on the fly (stores.storefrontnow.com).
- Consumed and produced data via REST, web services/XML/EDI communication.
- Integrated with many shipping carriers for real-time rates (UPS, USPS, DHL, LTL, Canada Post, FedEx).
- Integrated with real-time credit card processors (Authorize Net, Verisign, PayPal, WorldPay, LinkPoint, PsiGate, and more).
- Interfaced with product push vendors (DealTime, and MarketPlace Manager).
- Wrote and maintained plugins for FrontPage and Dreamweaver.
- Programmatically created, dropped, and modified DBs, objects, stored procedures, and logins.
Independent Software Developer1999 - 2006Independent Contractor
- Developed and owned VB 6.0 home inspection application OnsiteReports.
- Customized LaGarde's storefront software.
- Completed several projects including application development, website development, and technical support.
- Maintained and updated a website for an architectural firm in Manhattan, KS.
Web Programmer1999 - 2001Ten Sigma
- Created VRSchoolhouse, an online school that was used statewide in KS.
- Created and managed SQL Server and Access databases.
- Created an eCommerce website, including shopping cart and credit card payment.
- Managed and documented projects, and maintained and troubleshot networks.
Programmer, Analyst1997 - 1999The Moore Group (Outsourced to Sentara Health Systems)
Technologies: VB, SQL, Winsock, PHP
- Designed, developed, and did QA testing for a VB app.
- Triaged and liaised between senior developers and hospital employees using software.
- Worked on database stored procedures.