Verified Expert in Engineering
Julius is a front-end-biased software engineer and engineering manager with 5+ years of professional experience. He has worked in multiple sectors, including marketplace, edtech, and fintech, and in companies ranging from startups to multinationals. Julius leverages his varied experience to remain flexible and pragmatic while delivering and maintaining clean code.
Git, OS X, Visual Studio Code (VS Code)
The most amazing...
...thing I've developed was a flexible querying system that allowed users to submit self-service queries in a sharded MongoDB cluster.
Senior Engineering Manager
- Reorganized team to have a higher velocity to meet business expectations with fewer quality defects.
- Introduced Flutter to the apps engineers to start importing inside the native apps.
- Moved some of the legacy front end from Vue to React.
- Proposed and led architectural changes that fit new product requirements while balancing scalability, cost, and development velocity.
- Managed the engineering team and coordinated marketing, business, and other stakeholders to release new products in a timely manner.
- Mentored team members and suggested codebase improvements to reduce technical debts.
Senior Software Engineer
- Architected a database infrastructure using zone-based sharding in MongoDB while maintaining application performance.
- Led a front-end migration from a legacy framework to React with design systems using Storybook.
- Built a data pipeline and ETL for analytics, using AWS Glue to make it queryable in Tableau for self-service business intelligence.
- Established and grew the engineering function from two interns to two teams.
Software Engineer | Team Lead
Online Freelance Company
- Integrated and improved the internal A/B testing framework and used it heavily for new feature releases.
- Created SEO pages and managed technical ad targeting.
- Managed the email system to maintain a high send rate and low bounce rate and improved the email tracking system.
- Developed an ERP solution using SAP HANA, SAPUI5, and OData.
- Implemented a data management system for historical data.
- Assisted with user onboarding and troubleshot user issues.
Business Operations Technical Graduate
- Moved and rebuilt the data center for internal IBM development labs.
- Created and operated a server backup strategy using tape libraries for short-term and long-term storage.
- Developed the initial version of a self-service system to spin up virtual infrastructure on-demand.
Data Sharding Within One Clusterhttp://www.theforage.com
Full-stack MERN React/Node.js Engineering Leadhttps://spotpetins.ca/
React, Node.js, RxJS, REST APIs, Reactor
Git, MongoDB Atlas, SonarQube, SAPUI5, AWS Glue
OS X, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Meteor, AWS Lambda, Raspberry Pi, SAP HANA, Netlify, Contentful, Apache Kafka
MySQL, MongoDB, PostgreSQL, Data Pipelines, Redis, Elasticsearch
Engineering Management, Sharding, A/B Testing, Email Systems, WebSockets, Indexing, Data Aggregation, Machine Learning, Data Warehousing, FPGA, Microcontrollers, Content Delivery Networks (CDN), OData, Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), Programming, Cloud, Data Center Migration, BladeCenter H, Gatsby
Angular, Redux, AngularJS, Flutter, Jest, Spring, .NET 4, ASP.NET MVC, ADO.NET, Next.js
Lambda Architecture, ETL, REST, Jamstack
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Engineering
University of New South Wales - Sydney, Australia
Diploma of IT in Programming in Information Technology
Sydney Institute TAFE - Sydney, Australia
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring