Java Developer in Atlanta, GA, United States
Contractor2015 - PRESENTCox Automotive
- Awarded a seven-figure contract to rebuild a client’s content management system using Adobe Experience Manager, defined best practices for its use, and implemented a framework that ultimately enabled the business to iterate up to 1000x faster on its marketing initiatives.
- Implemented a transaction marker that helped pinpoint the source of issues within their massively distributed, multi-team application infrastructure (multiple languages).
- Built a throttling system in Java that could be used by any team to throttle HTTP requests based on the responsiveness of the endpoints, and could, therefore, be responsive to increased in demand.
Managing Partner2015 - PRESENTFoureyes Labs
- Performed technical due diligence on deals ranging from $100,000 to $10,000,000 for various clients.
- Designed and implemented a rapid-development plan with the goal of testing the revenue potential of at least one new product idea each month, achieving a 20% success rate in the program’s first year.
- Managed all corporate finances including taxes, budgets, cash flows, and the development of a financial model for budgeting and forecasting.
- Built a distributed lottery application on the Ethereum blockchain using Solidity.
- Created a self-driving car operating system using ROS, C++, Python, and TensorFlow that won a competition to be implemented and tested on live roads.
Java Developer2018 - 2019MMCL Group LLC (via Toptal)
Technologies: Java, Hadoop, AWS
- Swapped out an existing data integration with a new provider.
Enterprise Architect2016 - 2018Surefire Social
- Managed the integration effort to be able to sell Promio's product offering as an up-sell to Surefire's application suite.
- Re-architectured queries in PHP & MySQL code to increase performance on the dashboard and other reports.
- Managed a team of five remote developers.
Chief Technology Officer2016 - 2016Promio
- Led the architecture of a new product line that became the face of the business after only six months.
- Moved the business from post-billing to pre-billing, drastically increasing cash flows.
- Designed 2-way integrations with three major digital advertising channels - Google, Facebook, and Bing.
- Helped in the sale of the company to a larger marketing technology company (Surefire Social) after only 11 months.
Chief Technology Officer2014 - 2015m2M Strategies
Technologies: C#, .NET, SQL Server, Java, PostgreSQL, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Powershell, Go, Python
- Directed product strategy through market research and interactive customer analysis.
- Lead two teams of eight engineers, one that managed the technology products and another that reacted to the day-to-day needs of the business.
- Designed a data integration framework used to streamline client onboarding, cutting onboarding time down by a factor of 10.
- Managed all client and strategic request prioritization across the organization.
- Implemented a queue-based load leveling communication system to assure high reliability and scale between 13 highly utilized production systems.
Director of Technology2014 - 2014m2M Strategies
Technologies: Java, C#, .NET, SQL Server, PostgreSQL, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Powershell
- Architected the integration between GetOne and m2M's products into a single product suite.
- Managed a technical team of six on-site developers.
- Coordinated the consolidation of 3rd-party mobile applications development back in-house.
- Implemented project management tools to increase team efficiency and better track deadlines.
President & Chief Technology Officer2012 - 2014GetOne Rewards
- Directed product strategy through competitive and market analysis.
- Oversaw all technological decisions & implementation.
- Managed a team of eight developers (five on-site and three off-shore).
- Redesigned web architecture for scale using Amazon's AWS infrastructure.
- Managed 3rd-party mobile applications development for Android and iOS operating systems.
- Coordinated and negotiated funding contracts for Series A & B investment rounds.
- Contributed to ongoing business plan and strategy for the company.
Software Development Engineer2012 - 2012Amazon
Technologies: Java, Hibernate, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Simple Workflow (SWS)
- Built infrastructure through Amazon’s Simple Workflow Service to efficiently process the amortization of 20 million Amazon Prime payments each month.
- Gathered and organized project requirements from various stakeholders throughout the organization.
- Compiled design and test-case documentation to facilitate the ease of continued development.
Co-Founder & Lead Developer2010 - 2012GetOne Rewards
- Managed technological–based business decisions for the company.
- Assured simple integration of team member’s products.
- Constructed internal database from scratch in JDO and then SQL.
- Built mobile device communication API employed by 500,000 users.
- Developed smart phone applications for Android OS.
- Coordinated and negotiated corporate organization contracts between LLC owners.
- Contributed to original business and funding plan for the company.
Software Engineer2011 - 2011
- Built Google Docs plug-in for the Publisher portal of the Google Currents application used by thousands of publishers worldwide.
- Architected and built a versioning system that facilitated the release of new features in phases to different groups of users (analogous to A/B testing).
Teaching Assistant2009 - 2011Georgia Institute of Technology
Technologies: Java, C, C++, Assembly
- Taught recitations twice a week to advance students’ knowledge of course material.
- Created programs to efficiently grade submitted homework and projects in a fraction of the time.
- Maintained grade-book records for 100+ students per semester.
- Hosted office hours during the week to enhance availability and increase hands-on learning.
- Assisted students in any way that helped further their education.
- Mechanical Inspection Tool (Development)
A web application that aggregates information about car sales and allows for users to enter in data about inspections for the vehicles. The car sales data comes from an external API and is pulled into the tool.
The tool is written in Node.js with a MySQL database and leverages various frameworks such as typescript, docker, serverless, many AWS services (S3, Kinesis, Lambda, API Gateway, etc), terraform, etc
- Pricing Tool (Development)
A web application used to manage pricing information related to shipping cars from one location to the next. Users can upload rates for carriers and for routes, and the tool will use that information to calculate a price for a given car and route when asked. A user can override a price quote at any time. The decision logic for calculating a price quote uses existing rate information as well as historical price overrides.
The tool is written in Node.js with a SQL Server database and leverages various frameworks such as typescript, docker, serverless, many AWS services (S3, Kinesis, Lambda, API Gateway, etc), terraform, etc
- Run Tracker API (Development)
A JSON REST API that tracks jogging times of users.
* API Users can create an account and log in.
* All API calls are authenticated using a form of OAuth.
* There are three roles with different permission levels:
** a regular user can CRUD on their owned records,
** a user manager can CRUD only users,
** and an admin can CRUD all records and users.
* Based on the provided date and location, the API will connect to an external weather API provider and get the weather conditions for the run, and store that with each run.
* A report endpoint exists that aggregates average speed & distance per week.
* Filtering capabilities exist for all endpoints that return a list of elements.
** Parenthesis are used for defining operations precedence and on any combination of the available fields.
** The supported operations are or, and, eq (equals), ne (not equals), gt (greater than), lt (lower than).
* Pagination exists for all endpoints that return a list of elements.
* Testing was done with unit tests and integration tests.
The project was built using a Java Spring Boot back-end, a MySQL database, and docker to spin up the modules.
Integration tests written in Ruby.
JOOQ used for application to database communication.
- Calendar Sync (Development)
A web application (and console library) used to sync Microsoft and Google Calendars. Users can link a Microsoft account and a Google account, and the events on a calendar in the Microsoft account will copy over to a chosen calendar on the Google account.
The tool is written in Python with a MySQL database and leverages various services and frameworks such as typescript, SCSS, Flask, Jinja2, SQLAlchemy, Stripe, docker, serverless, etc
- Distributed Raffle (Development)
A distributed application (DApp) used to allow anyone from across the world to play a series of raffle games. The players of the raffle play only against each other and randomness is provided by the players of the game and the miners on the Ethereum network.
The game is written in Solidity and runs on the Ethereum network.
- Git Poller (Development)
A console application that polls a git repository and performs an action when changes are detected.
The tool is typically used as a deployment application, but also has uses for notification and other purposes. The tool was developed to allow for decentralized deployments in a distributed microservice infrastructure.
The tool is written in python and uses a yaml file for configuration.
- Auth and Auth Service (Development)
A REST API used to manage user authentication and authorization. Users can create accounts and administrators can manage those users' access to resources.
This tool is used by multiple microservices to manage user access across a suite of products.
The tool is written in Java with a MySQL database and leverages various frameworks such as docker, Spring Boot, many AWS services (S3, EC2, etc), terraform, etc
- JIRA Reporting Tool (Development)
A console application used to import and manage task reporting information related to an agile team's performance metrics.
The tool is written in Go Lang with PostgreSQL database and leverages various AWS services (S3, Redshift, etc).
- Queue Service (Development)
A service used to run distributed work queued from various microservices.
The tool has gone through many iterations and has complex logic to do things such as caching, locking, re-queueing, etc.
The tool was originally written in Java but was ported to C#, and leverages various frameworks such as .NET, docker, many AWS services (S3, Kinesis, Redshift, SQS, etc), Windows Powershell, terraform, etc.
FrameworksSpring Boot, Windows PowerShell, .NET, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Bootstrap
ParadigmsAgile, Functional Programming
PlatformsAmazon Web Services (AWS), Docker
ToolsAdobe Experience Manager, MATLAB, Apache Tomcat
StoragePostgreSQL, MySQL, SQL Server 2014, MongoDB, BigTable
- Nanodegree in Self-Driving Car Engineer2017 - 2017Udacity - Online
- Doctor of Philosophy degree in Distributed Microcomputing2012 - 2013Georgia Institute of Technology - Atlanta, GA
- Masters in Engineering Management degree in Engineering-Business2011 - 2012Duke University - Durham, NC
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Engineering2006 - 2011Georgia Institute of Technology - Atlanta, GA