Karim combines deep back-end development expertise using PHP and Node.js with a wide range of skills from front-end with React to DevOps with Docker, Kubernetes, and cloud providers, which enables him to build scalable, highly available, and fault-tolerant applications. With over 15 years of experience, passion for coding, and attention to details, Karim strives to exceed client expectations and deliver bug-free code within every deadline.
ExperiencePHP - 10 yearsMySQL - 10 yearsMongoDB - 4 yearsLaravel 5 - 3 yearsNode.js - 2 yearsRedis - 2 yearsElasticsearch - 2 yearsReact - 2 years
Git, PhpStorm, MacOS
The most amazing...
...project I've worked on is a driving regulations training platform that had unique examples and useful tips for users.
- Improved the performance of the critical interface of the manufacturing line tenfold.
- Designed and implemented multi-currency support in the eCommerce portal and admin interface.
- Integrated Stripe payment processing with custom report generation.
- Worked on order processing automation that saved a significant number of human hours per month.
HeresMyInfo (via Toptal)
- Worked on all aspects of the product, from the back and front end to the mobile application.
- Created a front-end application from scratch with React, Redux, and Bootstrap.
- Fixed the bugs and added new features to a React Native mobile application.
- Developed a resilient and extensible Deeplink handling mechanism.
- Implemented OAuth authentication and integrated it with the existing back-end authentication system.
- Fixed bugs, handled security issues, and added new features to the Parse Server back-end API.
Media.net (via Toptal)
- Developed a next-generation highly automated SaaS platform in the adtech area.
- Implemented a framework for fault-tolerant long-running async jobs. An async job can safely run for several days, gracefully recover after server restart and deployment, and continue from the same position where it was interrupted.
- Led the team and made PR reviews. Spotted security breaches, performance issues, and potential runtime errors, and guided the code design in general. Reviewed over 400 PRs.
- Designed and launched an inbound and outbound SMTP server with specific logic using Node.js.
- Implemented multiple API endpoints and services with complex logic behind the API.
- Created compound Elasticsearch queries and components to simplify communication with Elasticsearch.
- Wrote unit, integration, and end-to-end tests, adopting several testing techniques across the team.
- Sped up the running of unit test cases by up to 5x.
e-Hub Health (via Toptal)
- Implemented a resilient report generation tool designed to handle any amount of records and fault-tolerant to work for several days.
- Created an admin interface to work with report generation tasks, including scheduling, timezone adjustments, and report generation feedback, task pausing, ETA, and all other metrics.
- Designed and launched an admin dashboard for live stats across different application subsystems. Fully flexible and adjustable for each user.
Back-end Symfony Developer
IntoFilm (via Toptal)
- Developed an API to integrate internal services with Salesforce using AWS SNS.
- Created build and deploy plans along with AWS Elastic Beanstalk configurations.
- Implemented a bunch of API resources for internal and public use, updated and refactored others, and fixed performance issues.
- Built a PHP SDK for implemented API resources.
- Worked in a team using Scrum methodology as well as participated in daily Scrum meetings and weekly planning meetings.
- Created well-structured documentation in Confluence with schemes and diagrams.
- Maintained the group of thematic sites with more than 10 million monthly users.
- Created and implemented a cross-site registration and authentication system for the company’s projects.
- Integrated unit and web tests.
- Moved carsguru.net from PHP 5.2 to PHP 5.6, including deprecated libraries and dependencies (about 6500 changes in 150 files) and successfully launched it within six weeks to an operational site with over a million page views per day.
- Led the project development from scratch—created an eCommerce solution with a single basket integrated with multiple online stores.
- Integrated task tracker Redmine, CRM system, Git version control (and moved fifty projects there), Git workflow, and Scrum methodology.
Senior PHP Developer
- Developed and supported a group of thematic sites with more than 10 million monthly users.
- Solved the high-load problem at onlineguru.ru, which had 1,000 RPS on the PHP back-end at peak.
- Launched several new projects from scratch, including single login environment for free-to-play online games and gamers mmoguru.ru.
- Developed and launched an advert targeting system for better rotation of clients’ banners on partners’ and our sites, which increased our profit up to 30%.
- Integrated Sphinx Search in gameguru.ru and carsguru.net to increase page load speed.
- Refactored key parts of projects with hundreds of thousands of daily users carsguru.net and onlineguru.ru.
Senior PHP Developer
iFLY – Loyalty SaaS
- Designed and implemented a back-end solution for processing loyalty cards from scratch.
- Integrated loyalty SaaS to several companies, including food delivery, taxi, pharmacy, and retailers.
- Collected requirements for the loyalty system.
- Updated a desktop C++ client application.
- Developed the company site with a built-in online store for the clients.
- Led the team of four developers.
The Sea Code, LLC
- Developed the MMORPG game with C++.
- Designed a network protocol for client-server communication.
- Implemented online fight system with a complex path search algorithm.
- Finished the game up to the beta stage.
- Created a custom CMS system and used it for the digital design site with 500+ daily users.
- Implemented and launched an eCommerce marketing service, which landed more than a hundred paying users.
- Created a multisite catalog designed to be launched on hundreds of domains, defining the category by the domain.
- Designed and implemented a mix of task tracker and CRM system for handling agency clients and employers.
- Developed a car tire online shop.
- Developed and launched climate systems online store.
CarsGuru Commercial Transport
PHP Frameworks: Symfony vs. Laravel
Laravel 5, Symfony 2, PHPUnit, Symfony 3, Laravel, Redux, Mockery, Jest, Bootstrap, Express.js, Koa, Symfony, OAuth 2, React Native
React, Node.js, REST APIs, React Router, jQuery, Socket.IO, Guichan, PubNub, Salesforce API, Google Analytics API, Facebook API, Vue
Redmine, PhpStorm, Amazon Simple Queue Service (SQS), AWS Simple Notification Service (SNS), XHProf, NGINX, Slack, Git, Xdebug, Trello, Redux Thunk, GitLab CI/CD, Amazon Simple Email Service (SES), Supervisor, Beanstalk, Ansible, Graylog, Zabbix, Jira, Confluence
Model View Controller (MVC), Test-driven Development (TDD), Agile Software Development, Scrum, Agile, Microservices
Sphinx Search Engine, Memcached, MySQL, Elasticsearch, Redis, MongoDB, NoSQL, PostgreSQL
Back-end, APIs, Freelancing, Beanstalkd, SOLID Principles, WebDAV, GitFlow, Full-stack, OAuth, WebSockets, Ant, SMTP, TCP, Customer Relationship Management (CRM), Lean Development
Linux, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Docker, MacOS, Parse, AWS Elastic Beanstalk, Kubernetes, Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
University Degree (Specialist) in Mathematics and Computer Engineering
Ufa State Aviation Technical University - Ufa
Toptal React Academy - Certificate of Completion