Luis Patricio Moreno Buitrón
Verified Expert in Engineering
Enterprise Architect and BI Developer
Patricio is an expert with Oracle, Microsoft, Red Hat, and IBM with over 20 years of IT management experience and 30+ certifications in strategic technology management, formulation and application of enterprise architecture, and technological solution architecture definition. Patricio has worked across domains, such as banking, insurance, and education, and has taught specialized courses. He has consulted in roles such as enterprise architect, multi-platform DBA, and cybersecurity advisor.
Enterprise Architecture, Business Intelligence (BI), IT Governance, Data Management, Data Engineering, Platforms, Oracle DBA, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Linux, Python, Oracle
The most amazing...
...project I've delivered was the creation and startup of the BI section of the largest bank in Ecuador.
Universidad de las Américas
- Oversaw the database administration for the cybersecurity engineering course.
- Spearheaded IT management for the cybersecurity engineering course.
- Managed data analysis and visualization for the cybersecurity engineering course.
MS Excel/VBA and Power BI Developer
- Helped the customer identify the most appropriate analytical requirements for real-estate cost analysis.
- Identified, analyzed, and understood the Excel sheets based on the analytical requirements previously defined, which will be the source data for real-estate cost analysis.
- Designed and implemented the data model in MySQL for the new transactional database that will contain real estate cost information.
- Designed a mockup with the preliminary version of the Power BI dashboard for the real-estate cost analysis.
- Built and maintained the different data pipelines for extracting, loading, and transforming all the required data for business users and customers.
- Oversaw the building and maintenance of different dbt models used by company analytical users.
- Developed and maintained jobs to synchronize the content of some tables of the Data Lake located in Databricks with their respective tables in Snowflake.
- Spearheaded the migration of some dbt models between the Databricks production workspace and the Databricks E2 workspace.
- Served as a database architect to define the deployment roadmap of the new MySQL 8 database platform.
- Carried out the installation and configuration of its new database platform with MySQL Enterprise 8 as a DBA specialized in MySQL.
- Migrated all databases from its infrastructure with MariaDB 5.5 to the new infrastructure with MySQL 8.
IT Management Advisor
- Served as an IT management advisor for the IT strategic planning of 2021 and 2022 and for the realization of a SWOT for the IT infrastructure of the company.
- Acted as the enterprise architecture advisor focused on adopting this discipline.
- Oversaw the migration and upgrade of Pronaca's data warehouse and, subsequently, its migration from its on-premise environment to a private cloud at a Century Link data center.
- Performed health checks of the Oracle database of the company's ERP and acted as an expert DBA for SQL tuning.
- Assisted with the implementation of standby databases on Cascade using Oracle Data Guard in the new infrastructure of the ERP INFOR LN and for the implementation of Oracle ASM and Oracle RMAN in this new infrastructure.
- Implemented a local standby database for the second most critical database of the company, using Oracle Data Guard.
- Ran the building, management, and maintenance of the databases located in AWS Cloud.
- Managed the creation of the ETLs to consolidate the data needed for analytics and decision-making.
- Created the data pipelines using AWS services to make the necessary data available to the company's data scientists.
- Developed a solution to identify and mask PII information stored in the company's databases.
- Built a solution to collect, process, and visualize the performance data for the most critical databases of the company.
- Identified the analytical specifications for the application performance Data Mart for application maintenance.
- Designed the data repositories and ETL layer for the application performance Data Mart for application maintenance.
- Implemented the ETL layer for the application performance Data Mart for application maintenance .
- Documented and released into production the application performance Data Mart for application maintenance.
- Performed a health check of the Oracle databases of the agency for the regulation and control of energy and non-renewable natural resources to define the roadmap to improve their architecture, deployment, and operation.
- Completed a health check of the SQL Server and MySQL databases.
- Completed a health check of the DB2 and PostgreSQL databases.
- Assisted a team of business architects in designing the new business architecture of the official state procurement system of the company.
- Formulated the business architecture of the official state procurement system, which included the roadmap for the systems' improvement.
- Defined the specifications for the new data architecture of the official state procurement system.
- Executed a health check of the SQL Server databases in their production and UAT environments to establish a baseline for future improvements. Served as the SQL Server DBA on this project.
- Defined a new and more complete backup and recovery strategy for their SQL Server databases based on best practices and vendor recommendations.
- Managed the deployment of a database monitoring solution for the SQL Server databases with IDERA products.
- Outlined a new framework for the company's database administration (vision, governance, architecture, deployment, monitoring, and improvement).
- Strengthened the IT infrastructure of the CPN, focusing on fraud prevention as the cybersecurity advisor.
- Defined a custom cybersecurity framework for CPN based on the NIST cybersecurity framework, ISO 27000, and COBIT 2019.
- Assessed the current cybersecurity controls of CPN and defined a roadmap for improving them.
- Served as a PostgreSQL and Db2 DBA for the health check of critical databases.
- Performed the definition and execution of the improvement roadmap for the critical databases of the institution.
- Executed the recovery procedures for some critical databases after suffering unavailability events.
Scrum Master and Database Expert
Registro Mercantil Quito
- Improved the institution's data model by serving on the project as a scrum master.
- Improved the institution's data model serving as their expert SQL Server DBA.
- Led the technical team in consolidating information stored in MySQL and SQL Server databases into PostgreSQL.
Associate IT Consultant
- Performed as a BI architect for a project in Color Republic to define its BI deployment architecture with SQL Server, SSIS, SSAS, SSRS, and DQS. As the data engineer, I designed the ETL layer's architecture for its new Data Warehouse.
- Acted as an instructor for workshops about COBIT 2019 for customers.
- Taught enterprise architecture in a TOGAF 9 workshop for the consulting staff of business IT in preparation for a project.
- Provided performance tuning support for customers as the SQL Server DBA in charge of the project.
- Developed a course on SQL database infrastructure for the IT staff of Universidad San Francisco de Quito.
Bayteq CIA. LTDA.
- Validated, for UTPL, the integration model of the new academic ERP with its legacy systems.
- Assessed and proposed initiatives and projects to improve IT support for business needs as an enterprise architect.
- Acted as a cloud and application architect to define road maps to improve the application management at UTPL.
Associate IT Consultant
- Performed, for Empresas Banmedica, the migration of the Oracle databases of six clinics between data centers with minimum downtime and applying Oracle MAA.
- Assessed the middleware platform of ENTEL SA, composed of Oracle WebLogic Server and Oracle Service Bus. I proposed initiatives and projects to improve it.
- Instructed the technical team of the Chilean air force in Oracle WebLogic Server 11g administration essentials.
- Managed a course on the adoption of SOA and architecture fundamentals for SODIMAC.
- Provided several customers with specialized consulting on architecture and health checks for Oracle databases.
Associate Oracle Instructor
- Instructed the courses on the Oracle Database learning path taken for the team of developers of IESS.
- Spearheaded the Oracle Linux 7 advanced administration course and the advanced SQL workshop for Fybeca.
- Provided a workshop on WebLogic Server basic administration for PetroEcuador and virtual courses on Oracle Database 12c R2 administration for Banco de Machala.
- Taught the courses Java EE 6 and web application development with JSF for Cancillería, and Oracle Solaris 11 system administration for Cooperativa Jardín Azuayo.
Oracle University Certified Instructor
- Taught courses on all Oracle Database learning paths to clients from Ecuador, Venezuela, Colombia, Peru, and Chile.
- Taught courses on all Oracle Fusion Middleware learning paths to clients from Ecuador, Venezuela, Colombia, Peru, and Chile.
- Taught all courses on the Oracle Linux learning path to clients from Ecuador, Venezuela, Colombia, Peru, and Chile.
- Taught all courses on the Oracle Solaris learning path to clients from Ecuador, Venezuela, Colombia, Peru, and Chile.
Associate IT Consultant
- Performed as a certified instructor for Banco del Pacífico for a web application development workshop with Oracle JDeveloper.
- Served as a certified instructor for Banco del Pacífico for a basic administration workshop of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.
- Collaborated with the sales area of the company as a pre-sales consultant.
Hospital Vozandes de Quito
- Implemented a standby database with Oracle Data Guard 11g R2 for the current core of the Hospital Vozandes.
- Installed a database cluster with oracle RAC for the new core of the hospital.
- Provided a workshop for the DBAs team on the implemented infrastructure.
- Participated in the project “The Architecture Model of Information Systems and Technology Platforms and the Interoperability of Applications” at Coordinador Eléctrico Nacional of Chile as a business and application architect.
- Contributed to the definition of the portfolio of initiatives and projects to implement the company's new architecture model of information systems and technology platforms.
- Contributed to the definition of the new interoperability model for the company's applications.
Seguros del Pichincha
- Defined the operational model and the organizational structure of the new IT department of Seguros del Pichincha.
- Advised the company on the assessment of information management's current practices.
- Defined the portfolio of initiatives and projects to improve information management in the company.
Associate IT Consultant
- Provided a WebLogic Server basic administration workshop for the IT staff of Universidad San Francisco de Quito.
- Implemented a high-availability solution for Banco Pichincha with SQL Server failover clustering.
- Acted as a SQL Server DBA for the migration and improvement of the database infrastructure of Seguros Pichincha.
Associate IT Consultant
- Provided advanced PL/SQL workshops for CNT and building composite applications with Oracle SOA Suite 12c for Banco Bolivariano.
- Instructed Fybeca's DBAs team in Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control.
- Supported Banco Bolivariano with Oracle WebLogic and as an Oracle Service Bus architect.
- Executed preventive maintenance on the Oracle RAC infrastructure installed at INDECOPI in Peru and implemented improvements to their Oracle WebLogic infrastructure.
- Installed all the environments of the Oracle Service Bus platform at Banco Bolivariano.
- Taught Java EE 6 web development with JAX-WS and JAX-RS, SOA adoption, and SOA architecture fundamentals at Banco del Pacífico.
- Installed the quality and production environments for the web, integration, implementation, and reporting layers at La Positiva Perú, using Oracle Web Tier, Oracle WebLogic Server, and Oracle BI Publisher.
Data Architecture and Database Management Specialist
Agencia Nacional de Tránsito
- Defined the high-availability architecture of the agency databases and the policies for database security and administration.
- Defined an action plan for the adoption of best practices for the management of database backups.
- Diagnosed and defined the roadmap to improve the current situation of the core database.
- Analyzed the management feasibility of the CENACE core systems to identify possible replacements or improvements.
- Instructed the EMAP business and technical staff in TOGAF 9 fundamentals.
- Acted as project manager for the project of surveying the processes of Cobiscorp’s Cobis operational model.
Associate Oracle Consultant
- Implemented the Oracle WebLogic 12c new platform at Banco D-Miro and provided them workshops on its deployment and management.
- Implemented a new middle-layer platform for Almacenes Jaher using Oracle WebLogic 12c, Forms, and Reports.
- Supported Telefónica Ecuador on the migration project of its billing core which was deployed in Oracle WebLogic, Oracle SOA Suite and Oracle Service Bus.
Associate IT Consultant
- Oversaw the technical team in OpenKM deployment projects.
- Migrated the DMS information stored in PostgreSQL to the OpenKM database in MySQL for the municipal company EMGIRS.
- Created a Java-XML API to load DINARDAP's database content to the RMDMQ system, consuming a web service from a SQL Server database.
- Deployed and administered the SQL Server, MySQL, and PostgreSQL databases in the OpenKM projects.
Database Security Specialist
Ministerio del Ambiente, Agua y Transición Ecológica
- Identified the current vulnerabilities of SUIA's project databases.
- Diagnosed vulnerabilities of SUIA's project databases, comparing them with the best practices and vendor recommendations.
- Defined the portfolio of initiatives and projects to improve the security level of SUIA's project databases.
Data Architecture Specialist
- Established strategies for the design, operation, monitoring, and platform security for the company's Oracle and PostgreSQL databases, utilizing enterprise architecture.
- Defined a procedure to address the requirements of direct queries, the updates on the Oracle and PostgreSQL databases, and the policies for capacity management, configuration management, and requirements management for the databases.
- Defined the Oracle 12c database and CentOS hardening standards for the company and a policy for the databases administration.
- Formulated a proposal to improve the current design of data replication from SRI to SENPLADES.
- Diagnosed the current deployment of Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control and proposed recommendations.
- Designed a periodic mechanism to collect their databases' processor, memory, disk, and network statistics.
- Created and implemented pre-production environments for the databases.
- Defined and executed the technical capacity generation plan for the company's database administrators.
- Diagnosed the current audit status configured in the Oracle databases and proposed recommendations.
- Developed instructions to enable the auditing of the databases.
Associate Oracle Consultant
- Executed a health check on the Oracle WebLogic infrastructure of the port authority of Puerto Bolívar (APPB) at Machala Ecuador.
- Provided a workshop on the new features of Oracle database 12c for the DBAs of Hospital Vozandes.
- Delivered a workshop on the new features of Oracle database 12c for the DBAs of Diners Club.
Registro de la Propiedad del Distrito Metropolitano de Quito
- Participated in the complete modernization of Registro de la Propiedad as the team's technical leader.
- Prepared the technical deliverables for the modernization program.
- Assessed the architecture of the real and personal folios registry system.
- Defined and implemented a methodology for the tests.
- Managed the team migration of legacy data from MySQL to SQL Server as the expert DBA overseeing the project.
Universidad de las Américas (UDLA)
- Oversaw the Management of New Technologies course for a master's degree in IT management.
- Served as director of the master's degree program in IT administration.
- Assisted in evaluating the degree work of students for their master's degree in IT administration.
Associate Oracle Consultant
Refundation Consulting Group
- Provided Oracle Forms support to Hospital Metropolitano de Quito.
- Offered Oracle PL/SQL support to Colegio Americano de Quito.
- Gave technical and methodological support on Oracle Forms to Agencia de Regulación y Control de Hidrocarburos.
IT Architecture Responsable
Banco Pichincha C.A.
- Served as a product owner and enterprise architect. I was in charge of the information domain for adopting the enterprise architecture system at Banco Pichincha.
- Formulated the enterprise architecture of Banco Pichincha with tools such as BMM, BABoK, and TOGAF.
- Acted as a data architect for creating the BI Area of Banco Pichincha and managed one BI architect.
- Participated in the selection of the provider of the new administrative-financial ERP and participated as an enterprise architect in implementing the ERP Oracle E-Business Suite (EBS).
- Defined the guidelines for the management and use of information at Banco Pichincha.
- Redesigned the data architecture for reporting solutions, managed the migration of ETLs and reports, and built them with SQL Server, SSIS, SSAS, and SSRS.
- Defined the methodology for the selection and purchase of software.
- Created a plan for using database products included in the first Oracle unlimited license agreement in Ecuador, signed between Banco Pichincha and the Oracle Corporation.
- Oversaw the new architecture and consolidation of the Oracle and SQL Server databases of Banco Pichincha as an Oracle and SQL Server DBA.
- Monitored and controlled the impact of the projects planned and executed on the bank's enterprise architecture.
Consulting Services Manager
- Managed the consulting services area and supervised almost 50 consultants.
- Provided SOA, ESB, CEP, BPM, BI, and IT architecture expertise as a project manager, IT auditor, and enterprise architect.
- Acted as a certified Oracle technologies expert, consultant, and instructor.
- Developed and implemented the workflow of the QMS for an electricity distribution company.
- Created and implemented the POC of the integration of databases via Oracle Enterprise Service Bus for a telecommunications company.
- Implemented analytical solutions with SQL Server, SSIS, SSAS, SSRS, and DQS for several customers.
- Acted as the principal consultant for SQL Server and MySQL database administration services.
Centro de Estudios para la Comunidad
- Oversaw the learning path of Oracle databases.
- Managed the learning path of applications development with Java.
- Ran the learning path of Linux Fundamentals and Administration course.
Escuela Politécnica Nacional
- Taught courses on databases.
- Taught courses on database administration.
- Taught courses on distributed databases.
Banco Interamericano de Desarrollo
- Developed the risk and credit analysis functionality for the SISSEC 2.0 system for the Ministry of Economy and Finance of Ecuador.
- Installed all the infrastructure required to implement the risk and credit analysis functionality for the SISSEC 2.0 system for the Ministry of Economy and Finance of Ecuador.
- Implemented the requested improvements to the risk and credit analysis functionality for the SISSEC 2.0 system for the Ministry of Economy and Finance of Ecuador.
- Served as an Oracle engineer and DBA on more than 30 projects.
- Developed the purchasing workflow for a TV company.
- Managed the tax management workflow for a customer.
- Acted as an IT auditor, solutions architect, and project manager.
- Created the data warehouse for the taxpayer information collection.
- Customized and implemented one of the first management information data marts in Ecuador.
- Developed and implemented the payroll, asset management, accounting, and bank systems for several clients.
- Implemented the following modules to the company's trust management system general accounting system: Contract management for trusts, property management for trusts, and management of guarantees for trusts.
- Provided Oracle engineering, Oracle DBA, and project leadership services.
- Supervised five consultants in projects for the most important banks in Ecuador.
- Performed as an Oracle instructor for Oracle SQL courses.
- Acted as an Oracle instructor for Oracle PL/SQL courses.
- Served as an Oracle instructor for Oracle Database courses.
- Analyzed the process modeling and database design of an air force hospital's admission and billing system.
- Developed and implemented ISSFA's reserve fund, integrated payroll, human resources, and health insurance systems.
- Served as an Oracle engineer, Oracle DBA, data analyst, and intranet administrator.
Implementation of BI for a Bank
Design of Enterprise Architecture of a Large Public Procurement System
The project's specific objectives were to:
-Identify improvements at the level of business processes, governance, information systems, procedures, and current regulations, which must be considered for a new implementation of the applications that support the company.
-Define the new data architecture with which information management can be improved.
-Identify the new architectural plan of the applications that support the company and from which the transition strategies of the current applications can be defined.
-Define a new deployment architecture for applications in accordance with the technological infrastructure of the client.
-Identify the current and future situation of the architecture, determine the gap, and establish the respective roadmap.
Data Mart APM
Data Masking Solution
Database Performance Monitor Framework
Migration with Minimal Downtime of Critical Databases
SQL, Python, T-SQL (Transact-SQL), Java, XML, SAS, Snowflake, Excel VBA, Visual Basic for Applications (VBA)
COBIT, COBIT 5, Oracle ADF, JSF, Apache Spark, Jinja, Spark Structured Streaming
Oracle Forms, Oracle Reports, Oracle Designer, Oracle Workflow, Oracle JDeveloper 12c, Oracle RAC, Oracle Business Process Management (BPM), Oracle BI Publisher, Oracle SOA Suite, WLST, ArchiMate, Oracle Internet Directory (OID), Oracle Application Express (APEX), MongoDB Atlas, Microsoft Power BI, Talend ETL, AWS Glue, Apache Airflow, Docker Swarm, Docker Compose, Docker Hub, Git, GitHub, Bitbucket, Spark SQL, Microsoft Excel
Oracle Database Architecture, Scrum, Business Intelligence (BI), Service-oriented Architecture (SOA), ITIL, REST, Application Lifecycle Management (ALM), ETL, PMBOK, DevOps, Agile, Kanban, Dimensional Modeling, Continuous Integration (CI), Continuous Delivery (CD)
Oracle, Linux, Oracle Database, Oracle Enterprise Manager (EM), Oracle Linux, CentOS, Red Hat Linux, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Oracle Data Integrator (ODI), Windows, Oracle Application Server, Databricks, Azure, IBM WebSphere, Java EE, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), AIX, AWS Lambda, Docker
Databases, Oracle DBA, Oracle PL/SQL, SQL Server DBA, MySQL, PostgreSQL, MySQL Server, Oracle Database Tuning, Azure SQL Databases, Database Architecture, MariaDB, SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS), NoSQL, Data Lakes, SQL Server 2014, SQL Server 2016, JSON, Amazon Aurora, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Database Security, Database Performance, Oracle Cloud, IBM Db2, Datadog, Document Databases, Microsoft SQL Server
IT Governance, Enterprise Architecture, Platforms, IT Projects, Information Technology, IT Management, TOGAF, Oracle Discoverer, Oracle WebLogic Application Server, Linux Administration, MySQL DBA, IT Strategy, Data Warehousing, Oracle Data Guard, Oracle RMAN, Oracle ASM, RHEL, SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS), Data Warehouse Design, Architecture, Server Migration, Data Management, Data Engineering, Software Engineering, IT Project Management, Cloud Computing, DMBoK, Oracle Fusion Middleware, Oracle BI, BPM, Oracle Solaris, IT Service Management (ITSM), Innovation, Containerization, Information Security, Digital Transformation, BABOK, Business Motivation Model (BMM), Business Model Canvas, Oracle Service Bus (OSB), ESB Architecture, Web Services, WebLogic Diagnostic Framework (WLDF), Information Lifecycle Management (ILM), SFIA, Scrum Master, Enterprise Service Bus (ESB), NIST, ISO 27001, ISO 27002, ITIL 4, Amazon RDS, ITIL V3 Foundation Certified, Data Transformation, Reporting, APIs, Infrastructure, Oracle EBS, Quality Management Systems (QMS), Complex Event Processing (CEP), Big Data, IBM InfoSphere, OpenKM, MDM, Talend ESB, Talend Cloud Integration, ADOIT, IDERA SQL Diagnostic Manager, IDERA SQL Safe Backup, IDERA SQL Query Tuner, IDERA SQL Workload Analysis, AWS Well-Architected Framework, Data Build Tool (dbt), Fivetran, Scrumban, ELT, Slowly Changing Dimensions (SCD), Azure Databricks, Data Visualization, Dashboards, Data Cleansing, Data Cleaning, Data Analysis, Big Data Architecture, Data Profiling, Directed Acrylic Graphs (DAG), Data Marts, Data Quality, IBM Banking Data Warehouse (BDW), ETL Tools, Cloud, Tools, Reports, Data Modeling
Pandas, JAX-RS, JAX-WS, PySpark, Spark ML, Spark Streaming, NumPy
Master’s Degree in Systems Management and Information Technologies in Information Technologies
Universidad de las Américas - Quito, Ecuador
Bachelor’s Degree in Systems Engineering in Systems Engineering
Escuela Politécnica Nacional - Quito, Ecuador
The Data Bootcamp: Transform your Data using dbt™
Data Engineering using Databricks on AWS and Azure
Learn DBT from Scratch
Data Warehouse: The Ultimate Guide
Apache Airflow: A Real-time & Hands-on Course on Airflow
Snowflake Cloud Data Warehousing Basics to Advanced Concepts
Databricks and Apache Spark for Big Data: From Zero to Expert
Big Data for Managers
Executive Briefing: Big Data and the Hadoop Ecosystem
The Complete SQL Bootcamp 2022: Go from Zero to Hero
Big Data with Apache Spark 3 and Python: From Zero to Expert
Agile Fundamentals Including Scrum and Kanban
Git for Geeks: Quick Git Training for Developers
Power BI & Business Intelligence 2022
Linux for Cloud & DevOps Engineers
The Data Analyst Course: Complete Data Analyst Bootcamp 2022
Docker Crash Course for Busy DevOps and Developers
AWS Cloud Practitioner Training
Amazon Web Services
DevOps and CI/CD (Continuous Integration and Delivery) for Beginners
The DevOps Essentials: The Handbook
Google Cloud Platform (GCP) Fundamentals for Beginners
Oracle Certified Associate
Certified Scrum Master
Asociación Iberoamericana de Scrum
Microsoft Certified Professional
Oracle Certified Professional
Oracle Certified Associate
TOGAF 9 Certified
The Open Group
Oracle PL/SQL Developer Certified Associate