Verified Expert in Engineering
Distributed Systems Developer
Matthew is an enthusiastic student of computer science, distributed computing, compiler theory, computer security, self-configured Linux systems, and functional theory. Recent projects involve cross-cloud and private-cloud architecture, configuring multiple Kubernetes clusters, Rancher cluster manager, Longhorn distributed block-storage management, Apache Kafka, and IoT edge-computing.
Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Vi, Sublime Text, Mercurial, Git, Linux, Go
The most amazing...
...side project I've had the pleasure to work on thus far is a custom 3D engine driven by SVG to power an app for a client that constructs metal buildings.
- Migrated enterprise monolith software stacks to cloud-native distributed models for clients including JPMorgan.
- Wrangled code and clusters for greenfield enterprise software for both internal an external-facing needs.
- Configured and augmented service mesh integrations with homogeneous and hybrid-cloud applications.
Senior Software Engineer
- Analyzed genomic information and coded out-of-the-box solutions for laboratory information management systems for use in biotech firms and drug discovery.
- Created abstractions to database layers, providing mux/demuxed protocols for GraphQL and RESTful endpoints.
- Implemented new TypeScript-based build systems and front-end compilation to catch more programmatic and logic errors.
- Led projects/teams and interfaced with company clients to lead efforts on custom development for their LIMS-deployments.
The Iron Yard
- Mentored beginner coders through a twelve-week programming bootcamp.
- Mentored other instructors in the art of pedagogy and leading a classroom.
- Built internal tools and software, spoke at conferences, and wrote books.
- Hacked on side projects, such as Verlet Physics Engines, using Canvas, Web Audio API, and Web Workers, as well as developing projects and curricula for the bootcamp.
- Organized community events and ran free community coding workshops.
Senior Software Engineer
- Wrote technical articles and blog posts and started authoring books.
- Spoke at technical conferences and meetups, representing Pariveda.
- Built an enterprise metal-building configuration app in the browser (ASP .NET MVC 4.5, Backbone, Raphael (SVG)) for NCI Group.
- Researched and documented financial and title-insurance data discrepancies for Stewart Title.
- Built Windows 8 apps for Microsoft and Halliburton.
- Developed a custom, responsive front-end single page app platform for large medical research institution Baylor College of Medicine.
- Pioneered research into mobile enterprise app platforms (MEAPs) for clients such as Kony Studio (certified), Titanium Appcelerator, and Xamarin.
- Updated large-scale news-delivery services (updated custom PHP platform) for Hearst; contributed to documentation of the platform during the discovery phase, documenting findings and lessons learned.
- Revamped the existing custom PHP platform into CodeIgniter.
- Built custom calendaring systems and UI for scheduling second-opinion appointments online, including scheduling "recurring events" with start and end dates.
- Standardized the REST API and helped scale services on Rackspace; implemented load balancers with Nginx and Redis.
- Pioneered the use of Node for live text, video, and audio chat using TokBox and Twilio; also implemented file-sharing.
- Developed a live-monitoring dashboard for use by the team that reported live sessions, and alerted the team if a doctor or client's machine wasn't working. This made it easy to know someone's computer didn't support the required technologies before they were aware there was an issue. We would be able to initiate calls to customers, providing a great customer service experience.
- Researched and developed iPad and iPhone apps with Titanium Appcelerator, published to the App Store; allowing 2nd.MD to stay relevant in the mobile space.
Tech: React Static Boilerplate, React, Redux, Redux-Form, Redux-Saga, Webpack, PostCSS, Mocha/Chai for TDD. AWS Managed Kubernetes for Node.js API Docker deploys. AWS S3 for static asset hosting. Stripe for payment processing.
Magnolia Market/Fixer Upper Mobile Apphttps://shop.magnolia.com/
Tech: Firebase SDK, TypeScript, React Native, Mobile analytics, Swift, Shopify integration, Apple Pay, integrated custom user properties/events/funnels for analytics.
Planned "large surface area" heuristics to look for with Google BigQuery (exporting data from Firebase) to understand widespread user habits and product/category performance.
Arbiter – A Live Coding Browser IDEhttps://www.producthunt.com/posts/arbiter-ide
• Offline IndexedDB and LocalStorage cache allows for the fastest, most-natural visual response of keypresses.
• Embedded proxying of JS errors and TDD calls to the UI for intuitive and unobtrusive debugging.
• Support for saving/embedding links in Google URL shortener (for small enough files).
• No database needed—code is embedded in the URL, easily shared without overwriting the presenter's code.
• Great tool for testing library and algorithm integrations—support for `require()`-ing npm packages via browserify-ing proxy.
Tech: HTML5 low-level execution and Frame message-passing via streaming/observables; Flow + Webpack + Babel + ES6/7;
Many customers have custom deployments that I have worked on, including several IPO'd genomics and drug research companies and the largest non-profit research institutions in the US.
2nd.MD Node/Chat/Video and Mobile Appshttps://2nd.md/
NCI Building Systems
Offloaded processing of engineering workflows for the specification, validation, and calculations involved in defining, geographically placing, and fine-tuning of metal structures against building codes and physical loads/requirements.
Baylor College of Medicine
Tech: Node.js, PostgreSQL, custom back-end CRM and eCommerce integrations. Backbone.js, responsive front-end with animations.
Configured deployments with Docker, configured and shared images in Docker Hub.
Tech: Windows Desktop SDK, notifications using Azure Notification Hubs, legacy SAP web service integration via SOAP endpoints proxied through Azure cloud services, Docker configurations for Node.js services.
Are You Facing North?
Tech: Heroku deployment pipeline, functional reactive programming, sheets.js, responsive WebGL UI with physics-engine.
Tech: Preact/React isomorphic app, TypeScript, Node.js, Zeit Cloud, Docker build, GraphQL APIs hosted over Google Cloud SQL (PostgreSQL); serverless endpoints and webhook integration; Stripe and messaging (SMS/Email) integration; tax record and background check verification.
The project was put on pause in September 2017 to allow the owner to try other marketing approaches and business deals.
Explores approaches in functional data structures, virtual DOM, multi-proc data streams, pipelined web server streams over low-level Node.js APIs
Uses some pretty complex compiler logic to achieve this at an insanely fast speed using a technique called parser-combinators.
Faster than Apollo's query-batching implementation.
Software included full A/V recording + playback, pitch/yaw/heading/speed/etc tracking with high precision 6-axis gyro and sensors, plus interactive highlights of trouble spots and study points backed by data and heuristics from student sessions.
Goal: to accelerate student learning success in flight school scenarios.
Express.js, Mithril.js, CodeIgniter, Hapi.js, ASP.NET MVC, React Native, Django, Next.js, Angular, .NET, Spring
React, Socket.IO, Node.js, LocalStorage, Twitter API, Facebook API, SoundCloud API, Velocity.js, jQuery, Restify, HTML5 Canvas, Backbone.js, Backbone.Marionette, Vue, WebRTC
Wintersmith, Metalsmith, Appcelerator Titanium, GreenSock, Terraform, Microsoft Unity, Git, Mercurial, Sublime Text, TokBox, Solr, Docker Hub, Docker Compose, Kafka Streams, Mesos, Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE), Docker Swarm, Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS)
Functional Reactive Programming, Promise, REST, Dependency Injection, Functional Programming, Continuous Integration (CI), Continuous Delivery (CD), Event Sourcing
DigitalOcean, Parse, Kony, Xamarin, Heroku, Firebase, Linux, Kubernetes, WordPress, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Azure, Rackspace, Twilio, Windows, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Oracle, Docker, Apache Kafka, Visual Studio Code (VS Code)
MySQL, PostgreSQL, Google Cloud, PostgreSQL 10.1, Graph Databases, Databases, MongoDB, Redis, Oracle RDBMS, Docker Cloud
Physics Simulations, Verlet Engines, 2D Games, Mobile Web, WebSockets, Software Development, Front-end Development, API Development Specialist, Freelancing, Enterprise Systems, Computer Science, Compilers, Distributed Systems, Machine Learning, Vi, Octopus Deploy, Nomad, Apps, Spring Dependency Injection (DI), Enterprise Java Beans (EJB) 3, Kubernetes Operations (kOps)
Professional (Certification) Degree in Information Systems Security (INFOSEC)
University of Texas - Austin, TX
Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science
University of Texas at Austin - Austin, TX
Kony Certified Developer
Kony App Platform
Information Systems Security (INFOSEC) Professional Certification
Committee on National Security Systems, National Information Assurance Education & Training Program Office within the Information Directorate at the NSA
Health Information Privacy and Security Professional
Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology, Department of Health and Human Services