- Lead InstructorThe Iron Yard2014 - PRESENT
- Mentored beginner coders through a 12-week programming boot camp.
- Mentored other instructors in the art of pedagogy and leading a classroom.
- Built internal tools and software, spoke at conferences, and wrote books.
- Hacked on side projects, such as Verlet Physics Engines, using Canvas, Web Audio API, and Web Workers, as well as developing projects and curriculum for the bootcamp.
- Organized community events and ran free community coding workshops.
- Lead Responsive Web Dev - ReactJSNimbleRx (via Toptal)2016 - 2016
Technologies: React Static Boilerplate, React, Redux, Redux-Form, Redux-Saga, ES6, ES7, Webpack, PostCSS, AWS, S3, Mocha/Chai
- Prototyped initial scaffolding (Project boilerplate, build tools).
- Led the UI team in active and quick development of client-side application.
- Researched and created coding standards, and developed infrastructural code for app and shared lessons with team.
- Coded re-usable form and validation screenflows in use throughout the application experience.
- Created a universal system that wraps around React Components and co-locates data queries with "drag'n'drop" React elements for simple and intuitive rendering (in-browser, and from server).
- Created an open-source library from common needs around the project that enables wrappers and functional composition of the data layer, including automatic ability to cache, multiplex, and resolve queries to multiple server endpoints.
- Modernized UI code created by designers to be responsive.
- Cached resources and session data in Redis.
- Consumed endpoints from a .NET service-layer, proxied through the Node server.
- Explored methods for automatic and scalable deployments, such as with Hashicorp's Otto to set up and deploy code to distributed microservices on AWS.
- Senior ConsultantPariveda Solutions2012 - 2014
Technologies: .NET MVC, Python, JS/Node, Azure and AWS, Kony Studio, Titanium Appcelerator, Xamarin
- Wrote technical articles and blog posts, and started authoring books.
- Spoke at technical conferences and meetups, representing Pariveda.
- Built an enterprise metal-building configuration app in the browser (ASP .NET MVC 4.5, Backbone, Raphael (SVG)) for NCI Group.
- Researched and documented financial and title-insurance data discrepancies for Stewart Title.
- Built Windows 8 apps for Microsoft and Halliburton.
- Developed a custom, responsive front-end single page app platform for large medical research institution Baylor College of Medicine.
- Pioneered research into mobile enterprise app platforms (MEAPs) for clients such as Kony Studio (certified), Titanium Appcelerator, and Xamarin.
- Updated large-scale news-delivery services (updated custom PHP platform) for Hearst; contributed to documentation of the platform during the discovery phase, documenting findings and lessons learned.
- Lead Developer2nd.MD2011 - 2012
Technologies: PHP, CodeIgniter, JS, MySQL, Node, Web Sockets, TokBox, Titanium Appcelerator, jQuery, Rackspace, Solr, Redis, Twilio
- Revamped the existing custom PHP platform into CodeIgniter.
- Built custom calendaring systems and UI for scheduling 2nd opinion appointments online, including scheduling "recurring events" with start and end dates.
- Standardized the REST API and helped scale services on Rackspace; implemented load balancers with Nginx and Redis.
- Pioneered the use of Node for live text, video, and audio chat using TokBox and Twilio; also implemented file-sharing.
- Developed a live-monitoring dashboard for use by the team that reported live sessions, and alerted the team if a doctor or client's machine wasn't working. This made it easy to know someone's computer didn't support the required technologies before they were aware there was an issue. We would be able to initiate calls to customers, providing a great customer service experience.
- Researched and developed iPad and iPhone apps with Titanium Appcelerator, published to the App Store; allowing 2nd.MD to stay relevant in the mobile space.