- Senior Engineer2017 - PRESENTStackWave, LLC
- Analyzed genomic information and coded out-of-the-box solutions for laboratory information management systems for use in bio-tech firms and drug discovery.
- Created abstractions to database layers, providing mux/demuxed protocols for GraphQL and RESTful endpoints.
- Implemented new TypeScript-based build systems and front-end compilation to catch more programmatic and logic errors.
- Led projects/teams and interfaced with company clients to lead efforts on custom development for their LIMS-deployments.
- Lead Instructor2014 - 2017The Iron Yard
- Mentored beginner coders through a twelve-week programming bootcamp.
- Mentored other instructors in the art of pedagogy and leading a classroom.
- Built internal tools and software, spoke at conferences, and wrote books.
- Hacked on side projects, such as Verlet Physics Engines, using Canvas, Web Audio API, and Web Workers, as well as developing projects and curriculum for the bootcamp.
- Organized community events and ran free community coding workshops.
- Firebase Expert2016 - 2016Magnolia Market - Riess Group (via Toptal)
Technologies: Firebase, Mobile analytics, Design, Google Analytics, Swift, Shopify
- Detailed and researched Firebase analytics and best practices for use in an eCommerce environment.
- Analyzed the current Swift codebase and forecast potential pitfalls with Apple Pay and Shopify eCommerce event integration.
- Defined custom user properties, events, audiences, funnels, and conversions for storing normalized user and event data with Magnolia product offerings.
- Planned "large surface area" heuristics to look for with Google BigQuery (exporting data from Firebase) to understand widespread user habits and product/category performance.
- Lead Responsive Web Developer (React)2016 - 2016NimbleRx (via Toptal)
Technologies: React Static Boilerplate, React, Redux, Redux-Form, Redux-Saga, ES6, ES7, Webpack, PostCSS, AWS, S3, Mocha/Chai
- Prototyped the initial scaffolding (project boilerplate and build tools).
- Led the UI team in active and quick development of the client-side application.
- Researched and created coding standards and developed infrastructure code for the app and shared lessons with the team.
- Coded re-usable form and validation screenflows in use throughout the application experience.
- Created a universal system that wraps around React components and co-locates data queries with drag-n-drop React elements for simple and intuitive rendering (in-browser, and from server).
- Created an open source library from common needs around the project that enables wrappers and functional composition of the data layer, including automatic ability to cache, multiplex, and resolve queries to multiple server endpoints.
- Modernized UI code created by designers to be responsive.
- Cached resources and session data in Redis.
- Consumed endpoints from a .NET service-layer, proxied through the Node server.
- Explored methods for automatic and scalable deployments, such as with Hashicorp's Otto to set up and deploy code to distributed microservices on AWS.
- Senior Consultant2012 - 2014Pariveda Solutions
Technologies: .NET MVC, Python, JS/Node, Azure and AWS, Kony Studio, Titanium Appcelerator, Xamarin
- Wrote technical articles and blog posts and started authoring books.
- Spoke at technical conferences and meetups, representing Pariveda.
- Built an enterprise metal-building configuration app in the browser (ASP .NET MVC 4.5, Backbone, Raphael (SVG)) for NCI Group.
- Researched and documented financial and title-insurance data discrepancies for Stewart Title.
- Built Windows 8 apps for Microsoft and Halliburton.
- Developed a custom, responsive front-end single page app platform for large medical research institution Baylor College of Medicine.
- Pioneered research into mobile enterprise app platforms (MEAPs) for clients such as Kony Studio (certified), Titanium Appcelerator, and Xamarin.
- Updated large-scale news-delivery services (updated custom PHP platform) for Hearst; contributed to documentation of the platform during the discovery phase, documenting findings and lessons learned.
- Lead Developer2011 - 20122nd.MD
Technologies: PHP, CodeIgniter, JS, MySQL, Node, Web Sockets, TokBox, Titanium Appcelerator, jQuery, Rackspace, Solr, Redis, Twilio
- Revamped the existing custom PHP platform into CodeIgniter.
- Built custom calendaring systems and UI for scheduling second-opinion appointments online, including scheduling "recurring events" with start and end dates.
- Standardized the REST API and helped scale services on Rackspace; implemented load balancers with Nginx and Redis.
- Pioneered the use of Node for live text, video, and audio chat using TokBox and Twilio; also implemented file-sharing.
- Developed a live-monitoring dashboard for use by the team that reported live sessions, and alerted the team if a doctor or client's machine wasn't working. This made it easy to know someone's computer didn't support the required technologies before they were aware there was an issue. We would be able to initiate calls to customers, providing a great customer service experience.
- Researched and developed iPad and iPhone apps with Titanium Appcelerator, published to the App Store; allowing 2nd.MD to stay relevant in the mobile space.