Perl Developer in Oak Brook, IL, United States
Senior Software Engineer (Contractor)2018 - PRESENTHyatt Hotels
- Supported the full-stack web development of online hotel reservation site.
- Helped architect, develop, and support mission-critical front-end Node.js applications.
- Assisted with changes to the Java/Spring Boot back-end micro-services.
- Led a project that improved security of customer credit card data during the reservation process.
Owner and Developer2015 - PRESENTAkeso Enterprises
- Designed and wrote a subscription-based web application for health practitioners.
- Created the REST back-end interface using PHP and MySQL.
- Integrated Braintree for accepting and managing subscription payments.
- Designed an automated email system, a key feature of the platform for customers.
Software Engineer (Contractor)2016 - 2017International Business Machines (IBM)
Technologies: PHP, Laravel, REST, jQuery, MySQL, Node.js, Bluemix, Watson
- Designed and developed automation solutions to enable the MSS ACE team to assist the Security Operations Center (SOC).
- Developed web-based tools for the MSS ACE team using PHP, Laravel, REST, jQuery, and MySQL.
- Designed and developed the beta version of Havyn, a voice-enabled cognitive solution for the SOC and MSS customers. Leveraged Bluemix (the IBM cloud solution), Node.js, and Watson technologies to rapidly iterate versions for the SOC, customers, and convention demos.
Senior Software Engineer2006 - 2014International Business Machines (IBM)
Technologies: Java, Perl, MySQL, Nagios
- Created a cross-platform client-side log collection utility for managed services using Java, which was installed on thousands of customer devices.
- Developed a custom Java distributed work library leveraging Apache Zookeeper to improve the scalability of key infrastructure bottlenecks.
- Automated internal audit tasks to ensure and enforce mandatory security controls using Java, Perl, and integrating with existing SOAP APIs.
- Led two small development teams that were responsible for supporting client devices and the Security Operations group.
- Managed the automated device health system (Nagios/Icinga), including expanding capacity and significantly improving device support.
- Created SOAP web service client libraries and examples for customers to interact with our services using Java, PHP, and Perl.
- Developed and improved the Java/Tomcat web services to support new features of the managed security services.
Research and Development Engineer2003 - 2006Internet Security Systems
Technologies: Perl, MRTG, Linux
- Integrated MRTG into a managed services provider, to continuously collect client device statistics and display them to the clients in the customer portal.
- Implemented a new automated device health system (Nagios) and relevant device checks, including rewriting portions of the open-source Windows NRPE client.
- Wrote and maintained the technical specifications of supported managed security services.
- Helped build a lab that would be used for certifying new devices and versions of software.
- Provided advanced Linux expertise to the infrastructure team.
- WellTrack Toolkit (Development)https://welltracktoolkit.com
I designed and wrote a subscription-based web application for health practitioners looking to add wellness programs to their services.
Libraries/APIsSockets, Node.js, Braintree API, jQuery, JDBC, React
ToolsNagios, Subversion (SVN), Make, Grunt, Git, Maya, Adobe After Effects, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Apache Ant
PlatformsIcinga, Linux, Windows, WordPress
OtherNetwork Programming, SOAP, log4j, SSL
FrameworksJUnit, Bootstrap, Redux, PHPUnit, Spring, CakePHP, Laravel
ParadigmsAgile Software Development, REST, Test-driven Development (TDD)
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering1995 - 1999University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - Urbana and Champaign, IL, USA