Verified Expert in Engineering
Network Programming Developer
Patrick has been a developer for over a decade now. First as a sole developer, then working on a growing Java team, and eventually leading two small teams within a larger organization. Most recently, he has designed and wrote a subscription-based web application for health practitioners. He is comfortable working with teams of any size, communicates very well, loves learning new skills, and tackling new challenges.
Git, JetBrains, Windows, Linux
The most amazing...
...product I've created was a client-side log collection utility for a managed service provider which was installed on tens of thousands of customer devices.
Owner and Developer
- Designed and wrote a subscription-based web application for health practitioners.
- Created the REST back-end interface using PHP and MySQL.
- Integrated Braintree for accepting and managing subscription payments.
- Designed an automated email system, a key feature of the platform for customers.
Senior Software Engineer | Interim Dev Team Lead (Contractor)
- Supported the full-stack web development of the online hotel reservation site.
- Helped architect, develop, and support mission-critical front-end Node.js applications.
- Assisted with changes to the Java/Spring Boot back-end micro-services.
- Led a project that improved security of customer credit card data during the reservation process.
- Created a new platform using a modern web stack (React/Redux/Node.js), which facilitated rapid iteration of new projects.
Software Engineer (Contractor)
International Business Machines (IBM)
- Designed and developed automation solutions to enable the MSS ACE team to assist the Security Operations Center (SOC).
- Developed web-based tools for the MSS ACE team using PHP, Laravel, REST, jQuery, and MySQL.
- Designed and developed the beta version of Havyn, a voice-enabled cognitive solution for the SOC and MSS customers. Leveraged Bluemix (the IBM cloud solution), Node.js, and Watson technologies to rapidly iterate versions for the SOC, customers, and convention demos.
Senior Software Engineer
International Business Machines (IBM)
- Created a cross-platform client-side log collection utility for managed services using Java, which was installed on thousands of customer devices.
- Developed a custom Java distributed work library leveraging Apache Zookeeper to improve the scalability of key infrastructure bottlenecks.
- Automated internal audit tasks to ensure and enforce mandatory security controls using Java, Perl, and integrating with existing SOAP APIs.
- Led two small development teams that were responsible for supporting client devices and the Security Operations group.
- Managed the automated device health system (Nagios/Icinga), including expanding capacity and significantly improving device support.
- Created SOAP web service client libraries and examples for customers to interact with our services using Java, PHP, and Perl.
- Developed and improved the Java/Tomcat web services to support new features of the managed security services.
Research and Development Engineer
Internet Security Systems
- Integrated MRTG into a managed services provider, to continuously collect client device statistics and display them to the clients in the customer portal.
- Implemented a new automated device health system (Nagios) and relevant device checks, including rewriting portions of the open-source Windows NRPE client.
- Wrote and maintained the technical specifications of supported managed security services.
- Helped build a lab that would be used for certifying new devices and versions of software.
- Provided advanced Linux expertise to the infrastructure team.
Node.js, React, Sockets, Braintree API, jQuery, JDBC
Nagios, Subversion (SVN), Make, Grunt, Git, JetBrains, IBM Watson, Maya, Adobe After Effects, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Apache Ant
Icinga, Linux, Windows, Bluemix, WordPress
Network Programming, SOAP, log4j, SSL, BrainTree, Multi Router Traffic Grapher (MRTG)
Redux, JUnit, Bootstrap, Spring Boot, PHPUnit, Spring, CakePHP, Laravel
Agile Software Development, REST, Test-driven Development (TDD)
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - Urbana and Champaign, IL, USA