Paul W Evans
Verified Expert in Engineering
Data Analytics Developer
Paul has spent all 10+ years of his career working with data. Data automation, process, warehousing, analytics, and business intelligence are just some of the many roles Paul has filled to help companies improve and even get to the cutting edge. Want to reduce your reliance on Excel? Paul is your guy. Most jobs he has held have been very outward customer-facing, so he's always looking out for clients' best interests and is conscientious of their needs.
Visual Studio, Tableau, Windows, Microsoft Power BI
The most amazing...
...project I've worked on is a complete supply chain overhaul for a Fortune 50 company where I was given a team with full creative control to build from scratch.
Data Strategy Consultant
- Worked on a one-year anti-money laundering project for Commonwealth Financial. The purpose was to combine all internal and external data sources into one pristine SQL server source for AML deep-dive analysis.
- Designed and implemented a new sales ranking algorithm in Hadoop and GCP, completed in 1/6 of the time and with 1/2 the cost of the client's internal IT quote. The client was Home Depot.
- Worked for LinkedIn on a Help-desk for PowerBI analytics back-end processes dealing with server management, integration, dataset creation, and dashboard builds. Lead on database model overhaul.
- Revamped company-wide sales Power BI reports and cleaned up data process for a large vehicle manufacturer for BRP.
- Inventoried all existing disparate systems and data, queried every functional group for KPIs, customized a plan for data integration and warehousing, and devised the least-cost path to develop all metrics needed. The client was Eyecare Prime.
- Created an algorithm for optimizing sales force bonuses for Home Depot.
- Handled Excel VBA automation for various documentation and contact procedures, reducing the time from four hours to 30 seconds in client profiles. The client was JLT Law.
- Implemented Domo and Power BI dashboards and data integration for all X3 Sports internal metrics from two different Gym ERPs.
- Managed a small team of one to two subcontractors through various projects.
Data Strategy Consultant
- Oversaw ETL services of data between Salesforce, Hadoop, Tableau, and GCP.
- Formulated ranking algorithm using a tool I'd never used before (Hadoop) in 1/6 the time and significantly less cost (exact number not shared) than quoted by their internal IT team.
- Developed compensation curve equation for 1500 employee sales force.
- Designed and built suite of Tableau dashboards to display team metrics at various organization hierarchy levels.
Senior Analyst, Business Intelligence and Marketing Analytics
- Consulted leadership of a large pharmaceutical firm to design custom, mobile analytics solutions in Tableau and SQL Server.
- Collaborated with internal senior leadership to flesh out new business intelligence line-up, adding additional company revenue streams.
- Orchestrated formation of visual-based analytics department to increase marketing efficacy, positive cash flow within first year.
- Designed and facilitated implementation of cutting-edge IT systems using SQL and SSIS, reducing average analysis time 60%.
- Studied and created new company processes to structure program coordination and reduce touch points by 30%.
- Designed accounting process and dashboard to track expenses and missing items, supplanting hours spent per day creating and reconciling spreadsheets.
- Managed a Tableau Server, using tabadmin, tabcmd, REST API, local authentication, and trusted ticket authentication to create unique functionality for end users.
Senior Analyst, Inventory and Supply Chain Decisions
The Home Depot
- Designed Order and Truckload economic decision model and process saving 25% of transportation costs for $80 billion supply chain.
- Forecasted sales and least-cost options to reduce lead times by 50% and more using Poisson, Exponential, and Monte Carlo simulations.
- Built data model and tables for 25-person supply chain analytics teams, bringing together many disparate systems.
- Reduced emergency process by 50%, led UAT team, trained 45 associates, design and implemented enterprise-wide web app while serving on the Emergency Visibility Taskforce.
- Developed Assortment Tracking software project with Excel front-end and Access back-end to report daily and monthly trends and issues to senior leadership.
- Rewrote store Informix code to monitor and call out changes in high-velocity seasonal SKUs and changed ordering algorithms saving tens of thousands per store per year.
Analyst, Holiday Inventory
- Coordinated and executed a $360 million inventory transfer from vendors to distribution centers to stores.
- Exceeded all program metrics, including turns of 5.21 vs. 4.72, a sell-through rate of 82.8% vs. 81%, and a distribution center in stock of 99.6% vs. 99.17%.
- Helped create a lost-sales algorithm and template to forecast future needs.
- Built a store-SKU allocation database to coordinate inbound orders, initial sets, and replenishment.
- Automated the process for tracking and reporting products on ads.
- Created a distribution-center-to-store product receipt lookup.
BirdDog Solutions, Inc. (acquired by Transportation Insight)
- Drove the project to bring parcel, less-than-truckload, truckload, and ocean data entry in-house.
- Supported the development and maintenance of the Microsoft Access SQL database for data entry and analysis.
- Managed and trained eight temporary employees in data-entry processes.
- Reduced receipt-to-delivery manual entry times by 70%.
- Increased the breadth and depth of analysis and consultation capabilities significantly.
- Led the analyst on full-network optimization or reorganization for the national retail supplier.
- Aided the consolidation of parcel shipping and distribution centers using current and future package distribution strategies with Excel and SQL analysis techniques.
- Introduced new transportation management systems to facilitate shipment times and methods.
- Updated warehousing strategies and layouts to accommodate the expedited order process and trailer utilization.
BirdDog Solutions, Inc. (acquired by Transportation Insight)
- Aided consulting processes for over 200 middle-market and national companies.
- Analyzed shipment and load-level data and contracts to create and present cost avoidance and reduction strategies using SQL and advanced Excel techniques like pivot tables and vlookups.
- Supported cost savings of over 30% in transportation spend for clients.
- Handled setting up small parcel clients for the invoicing and oversight of initial carrier implementation compliance.
Intern, Technical Support
Wandering Wifi, Inc. (acquired by SageNet)
- Provided client support for wireless internet and computer and hardware configurations.
- Managed a group of eight employees in a project to improve processes and process management.
- Wrote foundation documents for training new employees to cut the time necessary by 33%.
- Drove daily operations and the technical proficiency of 15 employees.
Operational Dashboard Examplehttps://path.blue/portfolio-1-superstore
BI Web Connectionshttps://path.blue/portfolio-2-web
Take Every Marketing Chance
SQL, Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), Excel VBA, Hibernate Query Language (HQL), SCSS, CSS, HTML, Visual Basic, VB, Visual Basic 6 (VB6)
Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, Tableau, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Power BI, Domo, Visual Studio, pgAdmin
Data Science, Database Design, Business Intelligence (BI), UX Design, Agile Product Management, Agile Software Development, Management
Data Analytics, Data Warehousing, Analytics, Big Data, Process Improvement, Strategy, Data, Marketing Analytics, Logistics, Data Warehouse Design, Data Visualization, Dashboards, Data Analysis, BI Reporting, Excel 365, Macros, Excel Macros, Tableau Server, Predictive Analytics, Product Management, Lean Development, Agile Software Testing, Business Strategy, Data Structures, Networking, WiFi, AirWatch, Microsoft Data Transformation Services (now SSIS), DAX, Pricing Models, APIs, Regression, Regression Testing, Strategic Planning & Execution, Branding, Product Strategy, Brand Management, Business, Customer Service, Analysis, Microsoft Office, Consulting, Shipping, Freight, Transportation & Logistics, Transportation & Shipping, Last Mile Logistics, Algorithms, Corporate, Process Design, Data Entry, Online Data Entry, Offline Data Entry, Data Entry Services, Data Entry Analysis, Data Engineering
Windows, Eclipse, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), WordPress
Marketing, Project Management
Teradata, Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL, SQL Server Management Studio, Databases, Data Integration, Google Cloud SQL, Apache Hive, MySQL, SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), IBM Db2, JSON, IBM Informix, Database Testing
REST APIs, jQuery
Master of Business Administration Degree in Entrepreneurship and Strategy
Georgia Institute of Technology, Scheller College of Business - Atlanta, GA
Bachelor of Science Degree in Industrial and Systems Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology - Atlanta, GA
High School Diploma in Environmental Research
Jupiter High School - Jupiter, FL