Pierre du Plessis
Verified Expert in Engineering
Pierre is a solutions architect with a strong focus on back-end development with PHP. He has worked on large-scale applications and assisted companies in deploying highly available infrastructure that caters to millions of daily visitors. He is a very skilled architect and solutions engineer, making him the perfect fit for any company with technical challenges that require a robust architecture built with the highest quality.
The most amazing...
...project I've built is a custom eCommerce platform that automated the subscription and shopping process using cloud architecture.
- Led a team of developers to build a custom mobile app for a new insurance product.
- Integrated a telematics SDK into a mobile app for driving behavior detection.
- Built a responsive app to create an insurance policy and packaged it as a mobile app.
- Set up the architecture for an app that can be published as a desktop or mobile web app, as well as packaging as a native mobile app.
- Implemented a proper code review and continuous integration process with unit tests and static analysis to ensure we could catch bugs as early as possible. I also added an automated build and deployment process for our dev and production environments.
- Oversaw and led the development of various new projects, set up the base architecture and infrastructure, and worked closely with the teams to complete the development on time.
- Helped take over initially outsourced projects to be taken in-house and conform to all internal standards and processes, assisting in necessary rewrites and upgrades within a short timeframe.
- Managed a team of 17 developers, assisting with growth goals, upskilling, and mentoring.
- Led the development of various in-house initiatives, set up the base architecture, and led a team of developers through the entire development lifecycle.
- Built custom payment gateways for popular eCommerce applications, as well as custom in-house eCommerce applications.
- Created shipping integrations for eCommerce applications.
- Created custom modules and integrations with external services in eCommerce platforms.
- Created automated jobs to import and update stock from different inventory management systems.
- Developed integrations with third-party payment APIs in eCommerce applications.
- Helped develop custom modules according to the client's needs, including UI changes and custom functionality on eCommerce applications.
Senior PHP Developer
- Built a custom marketing platform for a client to manage different marketing campaigns.
- Created automated scripts to import and process order information from different eCommerce platforms into a single custom marketing platform.
- Automated the creation and printing of raffle tickets based on qualifying criteria from imported order information.
- Built integrations to track marketing campaign success based on campaign types, such as email, Twitter, and Facebook campaigns.
I built the automated deployment process using Kubernetes to instantly create a new shop when a client signs up. I also created the front end where clients can sign-up, which would trigger background jobs to create a new instance of the shop and database and notify the client when their shop is ready.
The back end uses PHP and interacts with Kubernetes through its REST API. I also added a recurring billing process and automated jobs to suspend and renew any subscription.
I built the application from scratch using Symfony with multiple different roles. Companies can register to create relevant job openings and manage applications for each position. Candidates can view, search, and apply for open positions.
My Little Garden
I built this as a weekend project for my kids when they were busy planting seeds. I then published the app to the mobile app stores and got overwhelmingly positive feedback. The app was the number one trending app in its category a week after its release.
I was recently appointed as the new maintainer of the project after many contributions and am currently in the process of evolving the library to modern standards.
Symfony, Vuetify, PHPUnit, Nuxt.js, Bootstrap, Laravel, Sylius, Twig, Jest, Zend Framework, CodeIgniter
Vue, Node.js, jQuery, REST APIs, Vuex, Stripe API, React, Marionette.js, DigitalOcean API, AMQP, Google Maps, Google Maps SDK, Stripe
GitHub, NGINX, RabbitMQ, PrestaShop, Bitbucket, Magento Modules, Git, Google Analytics, Geocoding, Composer, Babel, VMware, Pardot
REST, Unit Testing, Microservices, Design Patterns, Agile, DevOps
Android, Docker, Linux, Firebase, Kubernetes, Shopify, Mobile, Magento, Magento 2, Magento API, Magento Community Edition, Magento 1, DigitalOcean, iOS, Google Cloud SDK
APIs, Ajax, Web Development, Back-end, JSON REST APIs, CI/CD Pipelines, CTO, Software Architecture, Technical Leadership, Full-stack, Full-stack Development, eCommerce, Architecture, Solution Architecture, Progressive Web Applications (PWA), Cloudflare, Business Process Automation, Business Services, Open Source, Vue-router, Payment APIs, Logistics, eCommerce APIs, User Interface (UI), Subscription Processing, PDF, Emailers, Axios, Analytics, Maps, Leadership, Team Leadership, Cross-functional Collaboration, Google Tag Manager
PHP Data Objects (PDO), MySQL, Redis, Databases, Google Cloud, Elasticsearch
Certified Symfony Developer