Raúl Gómez Acuña
Verified Expert in Engineering
Raúl is a proven senior software engineer with 8+ years of experience developing and deploying mobile and web applications with a strong emphasis on architectural design, scalability, and performance optimization. He is an expert in React and React Native and has a track record of delivering high-quality commercial projects. Raul is also skilled in creating open-source libraries and has collected 4,000 stars for his contributions.
Slack, Skype, Zoom, Google Hangouts
The most amazing...
...thing I've developed was the first ever library in React Native to render scrollable bottom sheets with all gestures and animations running on the UI thread.
Co-founder and CTO
- Created the platform from scratch—a React Native application, a web application, and a back-end infrastructure.
- Bootstrapped the idea from inception to the stores.
- Owned all the technical processes in the organization.
- Reached a £200 monthly recurring revenue (MRR) in six months via in-app purchases and studio bookings.
Senior React Native Engineer
- Implemented a custom navigation button bar using specific SVG shapes and shadows.
- Helped the team ship the MVP of the mobile application within the deadline.
- Implemented dynamic video that allowed users to see in an interactive way how many trees they had planted depending on their spending.
Just Auto Insurance
- Led the technical architecture and development of the core React Native mobile application for Android and iOS.
- Collaborated with the design team to ensure we followed the best UX practices.
- Mentored team members to make them more proactive and participative and helped them embrace the startup culture.
- Collaborated actively with the CTO and head of engineering to optimize funnels and improve user conversions.
- Developed and open-sourced a React Native scroll bottom sheet—a complex component to display user transactions, similar to Monzo. It has collected 1,400 stars.
Senior React Native Engineer
- Conducted an exhaustive analysis and code review of the project to suggest potential improvements.
- Advised and helped the engineering team in identifying performance bottlenecks.
- Provided optimal solutions to boost the overall performance of their React Native app.
Senior Software Engineer
- Built the next generation of DAZN 2.0 video players using React, TypeScript, and RxJS.
- Developed a proof of concept in React Native to explore and research its potential for a new generation of cross-platform players, integrating it with the existing architecture.
- Took an active role in developing internal OSS for the player state management.
Senior Front-end Engineer and Team Leader
- Provided React and React Native expertise across the globe to different clients.
- Built one of the most innovative projects for a Swedish client, wearevoice.se, a fully-fledged music player for choirs. The conference presentation can be accessed at www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9Qn8nb6jf8.
- Contributed actively to renowned open source projects maintained by the organization.
- Mentored other members to improve their writing skills for tech articles.
- Participated at several conferences in Poland, Ukraine, and Spain as a speaker.
- Held React Native workshops at several conferences in Poland, Romania, and Spain.
- Led the trendsetters team, whose goal was to share knowledge online via articles and videos to increase brand awareness.
Front-end Software Engineer
Young / Skilled
- Built the B2B eCommerce platforms with React for several Scandinavian brands.
- Mentored some junior team members, teaching them React.
- Helped in organizing local React meetups to attract more talent to the company.
Front-end Web Developer
- Implemented a new suite of internal security web applications from scratch to replace the legacy ones.
- Formed part of a team that was one of the pioneers using React, proving to be the right tool to build apps at scale with confidence.
- Created a complete automated test suite, having unit, integration, or E2E tests as a requirement for any unit of work to be considered complete.
IT Technical Analyst
- Developed a hybrid app using a native iOS container and embedding web content for the client technology solutions team.
- Enrolled as a member of the TA committee, aimed at guiding colleagues in their career progression.
- Created the first TA newsletter, issuing weekly publications.
We Are Voicehttps://www.callstack.com/our-work/we-are-voice
I was the main developer of the application implementing the core logic of the music player, which ended up being one of the most satisfactory results ever seen with the framework from a performance standpoint.
The music player at its core had to play music in the background. At the same time, the score moved horizontally or vertically following the tempo, and the current notes being played were highlighted.
As a result, I delivered a talk at React Alicante conference to share with the community how we achieved such a performance that felt completely native.
Back in the day, Facebook events were messy to navigate. WondrGo was designed to solve that problem, having as features:
• Excellent entry point for checking public events happening today and tomorrow, as well as the most popular ones of the month
• Temperature map to locate the hottest events
• Seamless Facebook integration to manage and RSVP events without leaving the app while enjoying a personal feed to see only events from users' favorite Facebook organizers
• Many reminders for events so that users don't forget about them
• Translation of the event's description into any language
• Ability to filter by category and to sort by popularity or date
• Favorite list to bookmark events
• Events sharing with other people
The project had to shut down since Facebook suddenly closed all access to source public events via their APIs.
React Native, Jest, Express.js, Swagger, Redux, Selenium, Angular
React, Node.js, Stripe, MobX, RxJS, D3.js
Testing, Mobile Development, Mobile App Design, Continuous Development (CD), Continuous Integration (CI), Serverless Architecture
Android, iOS, Mobile, Firebase, Heroku, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Bluetooth LE, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), tvOS
Mobile UX, Open Source, Web App Development, Architecture, Responsive Design, Leadership, User Experience (UX), Geofencing, Streaming, Workshops, Tech Conferences, Mentorship, Performance, QR Codes
CircleCI, Git, Redux Thunk, Jenkins, Google Analytics
Cloud Firestore, NoSQL, MongoDB, PostgreSQL
Master's Degree in Telecommunications
University of Malaga - Malaga, Spain