Verified Expert in Engineering
As a developer in the industry for 12 years, Robert has worked on a variety of projects for a variety of sized companies. He has a strong work ethic and believes that a great product requires the right amount of planning, working, and testing. He has built products in Java + Spring, Ruby on Rails, Python + Twisted, C# .NET, Vue.js, and many other frameworks, libraries, and languages. He is a quick study and can adapt to many different situations.
Amazon Web Services (AWS), Ruby, C++, C#, Java, Python, Linux, Unix
The most amazing...
...project I got to work on was when I designed, built, and tested an automated marketing platform that ingested data from dozens of external real time sources.
Johnson & Johnson
- Created a data integration framework that aligns with Enterprise Integration Patterns.
- Optimized queries leveraging Amazon EMR.
- Integrated multiple systems, performed data sanitation and transformations to output into a data warehouse.
- Helped design and generate Tableau reports, and the data sources involved.
- Created a web application to apply additional security rules to display reports to external customers.
- Performed project management duties, and product owner responsibilities.
- Managed development staff for 3 teams.
- Analyzed team performance and output, and optimized SDLC.
- Designed and developed a real-time message processing system, capable of processing 10 million messages. Implemented with Java, Spring, Apache Camel, AWS, ActiveMQ, and Tibco.
- Worked within an Agile team; I helped to write stories and break down work. I used Rally and Trello to manage the stories and delegate work.
- Implemented a Jenkins build automation pipeline responsible for unit testing, integration tests, then deployment to multiple environments with user gates.
- Implemented an Infrastructure-as-Code strategy through Terraform and completely automated resource provisioning. This was integrated into Jenkins to automate infrastructure deployments.
- Integrated all systems with Splunk and New Relic for APM and notifications.
International Survey Associates
- Created a data pipeline, which will ingest tabular data and generate statistical reports. This product leveraged Python, Pandas, PySpark, Linux, and SPSS.
- Created an HTML-based report for the purpose of generating PDFs. Leveraging Jinja2, Python, and PostgreSQL. This report is generated in real-time.
- Leveraged D3.js to render custom charts.
Co-founder and Software Consultant
Foureyes Labs, LLC
- Implemented an authorization framework built on Scala and Scalatra, with rigorous testing with Scalatest.
- Implemented a polyglot based service-oriented environment, with Kotlin, Scala, and Java as a baseline for a client's ecosystem.
- Created Front-end corporate websites for Foureyes as well as customers with Vue.js, completely leveraging Serverless technologies.
- Created Serverless applications leveraging Serverless Framework, AWS, Node.js and.
- Maintained constant communications with clients, and ensured their needs were being met.
- Developed LDAP integration with Adobe Experience Manager. Manheim had an existing AD and used Java within AEM to integrate for authentication.
- Managed and updated Jenkins pipeline for the deployment of the application.
- Trained staff on how to leverage Adobe Experience Manager. Held several seminars and individual training sessions.
- Collaborated with UI and content teams to generate front-end AEM components. Front-end components leveraged internal style framework, baseline internal libraries, and jQuery.
- Created a Ruby DSL to ease the development of components for those not familiar with AEM. The DSL provided a declarative language to define the requirements of a component, then generate the relevant resources.
- Began migration of manheim.com to a more micro-service driven architecture. Split off three services into Docker contained services including a geolocation service and a universal header and footer.
Lead Software Engineer
- Leveraged Python and C++ to generate a radar simulation algorithm. The algorithm required the use of the Map-Reduce algorithm with a Hadoop cluster. Each iteration performed significant linear algebra and required FFTs.
- Worked with Matlab to prototype small scale simulation. The small scale simulation proved the mathematical models.
- Collaborated with CEO during funding rounds, to determine scope, costs and potential impact of certification of algorithms.
- Deployed and maintained cloud resources. Automated the scaling rules to reduce costs during non-usage, and leveraged spot instances to scale compute capacity on demand.
VP of Engineering
- Led the development team to implement an automated marketing platform. Incorporated an Agile methodology, and ensured both the business and development teams were in sync through Jira, visual aids, and regular reviews.
- Generated administrative front-ends with both C# .NET and Razor, as well as Java and Spring.
- Performed ETL on remote systems with HTTP, SQL, and Pub/Sub integration points. The ingested data was normalized through per-client custom C# code and loaded into a data warehouse, blob store, and updated information in an RDBMS.
- Leveraged Amazon Redshift to perform Data Warehousing and integration with Tableau.
- Implemented a queue and worker system with Amazon SQS and Java + AspectJ. Through serialization of domain objects, the SQS queue was able to trigger workflows in the Java application.
- Acted as Scrum master, leading daily standups and biweekly retrospectives.
- Wrote integration tests with Selenium and Rspec. Integration tests were written in a TDD environment and were run on a regular basis.
- Developed Ruby on Rails back-end code to deliver functionality related to vehicle pricing. The database was driven by MongoDB, and the Thin-Model Fat-Service pattern was used.
- Built automated workflows by writing Salesforce logic for validation and data integrity purposes.
- Wrote a C++ application to perform high-performance data de-duplication through Levenshtein distance algorithms. The data was loaded every morning, and the deduplication process would run before any other integration work was completed.
VP of Engineering
- Designed and implemented a database, application code, mobile apps, and front-end to support a digital only rewards program.
- Leveraged Java + Tomcat for the API back-end. The application was written in an n-tier application style, and leveraging JSP style templates.
- Performed database administration for a PostgreSQL database. Included tasks such as indexing, query planning, stored procedures and fine-tuning database engine parameters.
- Created an administrative front-end to manage accounts. It was written with jQuery, HTML, and CSS. The admin front-end required authenticated users and scoped data.
- Built a customer facing admin portal to view dashboards, statistics, and manage the rewards program. The managed data was then propagated to relevant devices distributed around the US.
Embedded Software Consultant
- Generated Softcore FPGA performance tests for memory allocations, FLOPs, and network bandwidth. Tests were then compiled into a report and sent to a client.
- Wrote application code to process ~1TB of data per second. This code was written in C++ and passed to the Softcore processor.
- Traveled to meet the team to perform crunch time work on-site.
Static Website Builder
Manheim AEM CMShttps://publish.manheim.com/en/about-manheim.html
Amazon Simple Queue Service (SQS), AWS SDK, Amazon Simple Email Service (SES), AWS CLI, Terraform, ActiveMQ, Jenkins, Splunk, Adobe Experience Manager (AEM), SPSS, RSpec, MATLAB, Jira, Apache Tomcat, RabbitMQ, Amazon Elastic MapReduce (EMR)
Agile Software Development, Service-oriented Architecture (SOA), Functional Programming, Microservices
Docker, Linux, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Unix, New Relic, Salesforce, Android, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Kubernetes, Windows
Amazon S3 (AWS S3), PostgreSQL, MongoDB
Software Development, TIBCO, FPGA
Spring Boot, Apache Camel, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Twisted, Django, Selenium, .NET, Spring, Razor, Hadoop, Express.js, Hapi.js
Node.js, Pandas, NumPy, D3.js, Handlebars, jQuery, Vue
Bachelors of Science Degree in Computer Science
Georgia Institute of Technology - Atlanta, GA
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring