PHP Developer in Jujuy, Argentina
Back-end Developer2017 - 2018Giving Assistant
Technologies: PHP, Yii 2, Linux, MySQL, Algolia, Amazon S3
- Developed algorithms for better sorting of suggestions offered to potential clients.
- Created the API to connect with a strategic partner that offers peer-to-peer money raising.
- Improved back-end existing functionality.
- Provided support to QA testers.
- Participated in architectural decisions for high-demand services.
Back-end Developer2017 - 2018Adverator (via Toptal)
- Created back-end admin panels for different types of media ads as well as managing printed media specs and images.
- Troubleshot and modified an uploading mechanism to interact with S3 buckets.
Web Developer2017 - 2017Hiring Output (via Toptal)
Technologies: CodeIgniter, jQuery, HTML5, CSS3, MySQL, Heroku
- Added features to a local labor platform.
- Fixed bugs in JS code.
- Improved performance of the application by removing idle processes and functions.
- Created data importing processes.
Director of Engineering2015 - 2016Toptal
Technologies: General Software Architecture
- Helped the team improve the internal process.
- Created specifications for new features on the working platform.
- Interviewed clients, analyzed specs, and made decisions about prospect projects.
- Supervised the working relationship among developers and clients.
- Solved issues from billing to technical to ensure the quality of the provided service.
Technical Screening Team Leader2014 - 2016Toptal
Technologies: Front-end, Back-end, DB, Mobile Developer Testing
- Helped improve the internal process for talent testing and selection.
- Trained new team members.
- Led meetings and managed the team.
- Created new tests for the different technical roles.
- Coordinated with different teams to tackle different kinds of issues derived from screening.
Technology Leader and Full-stack Developer2013 - 2015ProHatch (via Toptal)
- Created a new isologotype for the company.
- Redesigned the site.
- Rebuilt the payment process flow.
- Created a blog module for the administrator accounts.
- Created a forms inbox module for administrators.
- Created news publishing capabilities for administrators.
- Created phases processing and editing controls for administrators' accounts.
- Created all the front-end landing pages and templates.
- Added JS plugins and apps such as scrollable, tinyMCE, and multi-uploader.
- Created a custom main page slideshow.
- Fixed several broken modules and classes.
- Created a cron job to monitor projects' phase status.
- Added jQuery effects to several processes.
- Created an admin panel that allows admin users to control the platform processes.
- Created a chart generator for decision-making staff.
- Created the back-end and front-end for the new real estate business of the company.
- Created a social sharing module.
- Performed SysAdmin tasks on the server (migrations, SSL installations, upgrades, backups, cron jobs to trigger and control processes, and other configurations).
Freelance LAMP Developer and Support2012 - 2014InitSoft
Technologies: PHP, Bash Shellscripting, MySQL, Drupal, WordPress, Perl, Git, Twilio API
- Customized a Drupal login and registration module to include an SMS authentication system that uses the Twilio API.
- Created bash seed scripts to automate installations of CMS apps into the virtual hosts (CMS: Drupal, WordPress, Joomla!, EzPublish, and many more).
- Modified a Perl script that handles records on DNS configuration files.
- Provided solutions to clients' broken CMS applications (Drupal, Joomla!, WordPress, OpenMicroBlog, EzPublish and many more).
- Fixed the DBMGR daemon start script for a customized Vagrant box that was used as a model to build a web server box model.
- Created online documentation for clients to reduce support time.
PHP/Joomla Developer2013 - 2013LDS Trucking (via Toptal)
Technologies: PHP, Joomla, jQuery
- Fixed broken Joomla modules.
- Fixed the Joomla layout.
- Updated the site content.
- Installed new modules.
- Customized new modules installed to fit the layout design.
- Fixed a front page slideshow and added jQuery effects.
Senior Web Developer2013 - 2013JCCRANE (via Toptal)
- Created Twitter integration for the BuzzFactory website.
- Fixed a broken Scrollable.js script.
- Fixed broken Joomla modules.
- Updated broken CSS styles.
- Updated PHP code for broken Joomla modules.
System Admin/Drupal Engineer2013 - 2013Patients Pending, Ltd. (via Toptal)
Technologies: PHP, Drupal 7 Framework, Linux Administration
- Migrated a Drupal 7 web application from source to destination server.
- Recreated cron jobs that ran on the source server.
- Created a full backup of the source server.
- Customized the permissions rules editing sudoers file.
- Created and configured chroot SFTP access accounts.
AIX Developer2010 - 2013IBM
Technologies: Ksh Shell Scripting, Java, Perl, PHP, PL1, DB2, Eclipse, CVS
- Created a ksh shell script to add steps of a batch process that involved communication between AIX and mainframe servers.
- Modified a Java program that generated serial number records to include a new numeration structure.
- Modified a Java GUI application that interacts with the mainframe. Added new validations and created new input fields.
- Created a PL1 job that interacted with the DB2 existent database and created some tables after some processing.
- Modified a Perl web application (located in an AIX server) that was not working since many changes done in the mainframe servers.
- Created a ksh shell script that performed some processing and took and sent data from/to the mainframe servers, keeping a record of the process on DB2 tables to resume steps in case of failure.
- Modified the ksh shell script to include new record structure types.
- Modified the D-mate script (IBM's Perl based custom framework language), to add new logic for parts processing.
- Modified some PHP script that interacted with D-frame to change serial code calculations.
- Created a ksh shell script to separate Lenovo serials from IBM serials, write it to DB2, and send data to the mainframe for further processing.
- Provided on-call support, taking care of batch failures on the mainframe and AIX servers. This on-call was required one entire week per month.
Security Server Administration2009 - 2010Hewlett Packard
Technologies: Bash, Ksh, PHP, LDAP
- Created a Unix shell script (ksh/bash/tcsh) that took care of massive creation of user accounts based on a user model.
- Created a Unix shell script (ksh/bash/tcsh) that took care of modifying user's permissions based on a model user.
- Created a Unix shell script (ksh/bash/tcsh) that resets passwords, disable, or deletes users listed on a file.
- Modified sudoer's file of many Unix-based servers. This was done depending on the client's security policy.
- Supported a PHP-based application for user ID control.
- Provided system administration and security support for more than 2000 Unix servers (AIX, Solaris, AS400, HP-UX, Red Hat) and 500 Windows servers.
- Collaborated with the disaster recovery on-call team, providing the SA and security support required for such events.
IREG Technician2006 - 2007Claro
- Performed IR21 tests to ensure signaling between carriers.
- Performed AA14 tests to guarantee correct communication between the different operators worldwide.
- Monitored and troubleshot SS7 signaling between carriers, acting on the results to guarantee the correct communication.
- Performed roaming tests based on the GSM Association reference documents IR24, IR35 and IR32 (gsm, gprs and CAMEL service).
- Checked TADIG department charges against networking records and correct deviations to ensure correct billing.
MCI-Verizon Nationwide Representative2005 - 2006Apex America
- Provided support for billing issues, ensuring client satisfaction.
- Supported technical issues doing a follow-up with the client until correct resolution.
- Changed existing plans and tested correct billing upon change completion.
- Created new client accounts.
- Managed and troubleshot Citrix environments.
- Output (Development)
Full-stack developer for a business trade platform.
- Adverator (Development)https://www.adverator.com/
Back-end developer for an advertisement company that makes local ads easy.
- Tech Books for Kids (Other amazing things)https://techbooksforkids.com/
Tech Books for Kids is a personal project that aims to introduce children and young teens into the rational world of logic, computer science, programming, and maths.
- Micoley Real Estate (Development)http://micoley.com
Full-stack development for a real estate platform.
- Prohatch (Development)
Technology lead and full-stack developer on a crowd-funding platform now in business with real estate deals.
- OGMobi (Development)
Developed an intelligent polling system from the scratch, to collect data and present resumed information useful to the marketing department and the decision makers.
- Webenabled (Development)http://www.webenabled.com
Developed and customized functionality for the site, developing seed scripts to install CMSs in web apps on virtual servers. Performed support for developers using the platform.
- LDS Trucking (Development)http://www.ldstrucking.com
I was in charge of restoring the site's functionality and fixing the layout front- and back-end modules broken after a Joomla! update.
- Buzz Factory (Development)http://buzzfactory.biz
I was in charge of fixing a broken Joomla! site after a migration and upgrade. I fixed several front-end and back-end modules, and also added a Twitter module and scrollable.js.
- Timesulin (Development)http://timesulin.com/
Performed several DevOps tasks required on a migration and configuration for the online platform.
- Illustration (Other amazing things)http://art.nicomengual.com/image/96126878475
I enjoy creating illustrations on my free time (which is not much). Here's a doodle made in 40 minutes.
- Personal Page (Development)http://nicomengual.com
My personal page. It's a simple point of contact and web presence.
- Huffington Post (Other amazing things)
I was interviewed in an article about the Toptal lifestyle and the digital nomads.
- Forex Algorithmic Trading: A Practical Tale for Engineers (Publication)A few years ago, driven by my curiosity, I took my first steps into the world of Forex by creating a demo account and playing out simulations (with fake money) using the Meta Trader 4 trading platform. After a week of 'trading', I'd almost doubled my 'money'. Spurred on by my own success, I dug deeper and eventually signed up for a number of forums. Soon, I was spending hours reading about trading systems (i.e., rule sets that determine whether you should buy or sell), custom indicators, market moods, and more.
- Linux Best Practices and Tips by Toptal Developers (Publication)This resource contains a collection of Linux best practices and Linux tips provided by our Toptal network members.
- Rogelio is a mentor in the Toptal Global Mentor’s Program. This program is a partnership between Toptal and General Assembly to provide high quality mentorship for students from minority and low income backgrounds who are looking to begin their careers as professional software engineers. Rogelio shows commitment to diversity in tech by mentoring a General Assembly student every week for a year, covering everything from coding tips and tricks to advice on making it in the industry.
FrameworksCodeIgniter, Laravel, Bootstrap, Yii 2, Slim
Libraries/APIsjQuery, Mandrill API, Stripe, Google Maps, Twilio API, Google Chart API, Twitter API, Google API
ToolsVim Text Editor, Nginx, Git, VirtualBox, Sublime Text, Vagrant, MATLAB
ParadigmsModel View Controller (MVC), Responsive Coding, Functional Programming, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), REST, Data Science, DevOps
PlatformsApache2, Linode, LAMP, Linux, Algolia, AWS EC2, Heroku
StorageRelational Databases, MySQL, MariaDB, Elasticsearch, JSON, AWS S3, IBM DB2
OtherSystem Administration, Ajax, ECharts, PayPal, RETS, Web Scraping, WePay, Security, Virtualization
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science2007 - 2011National Technological University - Cordoba, Argentina