Senior Web Application Developer2012 - 2017Oregon Department of Administrative Services
- Designed and built a single sign-on identity and access management system for 40,000 employees in more than 80 separate organizations based on IdentityServer4, OpenID Connect, and a custom group management application. This system resolved numerous security issues, reduced development time for new applications, improved the experience of users, and saved up to three million dollars in costs per year compared to alternative solutions.
- Worked with product owners to gather requirements for rewriting a sizable back-office WebForms application. Used a lightweight approach that resulted in a collection of system context diagrams and user stories. Used an agile process to refine requirements while building a minimum viable product and then added features to this base product based on the customer's priorities. Led a small development team to implement the design using microservices, ASP.NET Core MVC, Web API, and continuous integration.
- Developed a mobile-first, responsive web interface for an online time entry and approval application used by more than 20,000 employees and helped integrate it with the legacy mainframe payroll system via web services.
- Performed life cycle and security analysis for a portfolio of over 30 applications built with more than half a dozen technology stacks. Identified moderate to critical security and sustainability risks and helped create documents and visuals used by the CIO to communicate the nature and scope of the identified risks to upper management.
- Managed several Windows and Linux web and database servers.
- Used Azure services for the rapid deployment of a proof-of-concept business intelligence portal.
- Provided technical leadership for all other developers and training and oversight for the junior developers.
- Initiated and succeeded in an effort to reunify the web development team and reconcile them with management after a rift between management and staff destroyed morale.
Web Designer | Developer | Technology Consultant2008 - 2013Freelance Work
Technologies: Drupal, MODx, MySQL, PHP, CSS, HTML
- Converted Photoshop designs into pixel-perfect responsive layouts for content management systems.
- Designed and created websites and web applications for clients.
- Gave advice to companies, nonprofit organizations, and individuals on the selection, design, and implementation of web-based application solutions.
- Developed tools to parse Wiktionary and compute the probability of equivalent meanings in order to create wordnets for 83 languages. Coauthored a Natural Language Processing research paper describing the methodology and results of the project and released the wordnets under an open source license. This project helped kickstart the further development of wordnets in several new languages and encouraged the release of new and existing wordnets under open source licenses.
Application Specialist2008 - 2012Oregon State Data Center
Technologies: Linux, Apache, Joomla, Drupal, CSS, HTML, MySQL, Perl, PHP
- Provided advice to management, supervisors, and coworkers in the planning of new features to be implemented in the data center's customer portal, ticket tracking, and asset management systems.
- Designed and built modules, forms, and workflows for web-based applications used by staff and customers.
- Designed, built, and released open-source plugins required for the data center’s asset management system.
Consultant2010 - 2010American Eagle Outfitters
Technologies: Linux, MySQL, PHP
- Integrated an IT asset discovery system with a configuration management system used to track tens of thousands of devices.
Teacher2003 - 2008Volunteer Teacher | Substitute Teacher
- Taught English, leadership, public speaking, and many other subjects.
- Supervised volunteer teachers.
- Developed curriculum.