Son Nguyen Kim
Verified Expert in Engineering
Machine Learning Developer
Son is highly skilled with software engineering and ML algorithms, and always tries hard to tackle problems with a simple yet efficient approach, making the code maintainable in the long run. As an entrepreneur, he is devoted to his work and understands fully the importance of responsibility and proactivity. He can communicate efficiently with both business and technical sides.
Android Studio, Xcode, PyCharm, Git
The most amazing...
...thing I've developed is a platform where people can meet, discuss, and share what they know to solve problems.
- Created a popular open-source email alias service that protects your email address.
- Developed an OAuth identity provider that offers a privacy-focused "Login with Facebook/Google/Apple" button.
- Built a Chrome/Firefox extension that allows the user to quickly create email aliases.
- Coordinated a developer team to work on different platforms, including web, iOS, and Safari.
- Handled customer support and managed the open roadmap.
Croscon (via Toptal)
- Added features to GemSafe, an insurance company.
- Moved the deployment to use Docker-compose.
Director of Engineering
- Led an agile team of six developers.
- Architected the back end and infrastructure for B2B product with big-name clients and a strong emphasis on security.
- Designed, implemented, and deployed reliable components based on Docker, hosted on AWS.
- Participated in cross-team efforts to troubleshoot/determine the resolution for complex issues.
- Integrated all work into our CI/CD pipeline so as to repeatably and reliably deliver updates to all environments, including production.
- Led the tech team to create iOS, Android, and web apps.
- Created and maintained the back end.
- Managed content writers.
Tulane University (via Toptal)
- Created an internal tool that allows teachers and students to get information about their courses.
- Added an export PDF feature: Users can export a given course into a PDF file.
Kizen (via Toptal)
- Added new features to the Kizen CRM.
- Optimized code processes.
Back-end and Machine Learning Developer
- Created an algorithm that provides personalized movie recommendations.
- Used a third-party API to collect movie data.
- Created and maintained the back end used by the app to provide Facebook and Twitter logins and save user interactions.
University of Wisconsin – Madison (via Toptal)
- Built up a crowd-sourced "reverse engineering" tool to understand microtargeting in political campaigns.
- Created and maintained the back end that receives and stores up to millions of ads.
- Created an admin interface to facilitate analysis work.
- Created algorithms to detect whether an ad is political and predict the candidates, the party supporting them, and more.
- Defined and put in place software architecture and infrastructure.
- Created a REST API written in Python/Flask supporting heavy traffic.
- Created 3D native viewers for Android and iOS.
- Managed the R&D team.
- Created the ML stack to handle clothes recommendations.
Freelance Python and iOS Developer
28 Billionaires (via Toptal)
- Crawled workout products to get ingredient information such as protein quantity, sugar, etc. and saved them into a Parse database.
- Created v1.0 of the iOS app that compares workout products using the above database.
- Developed a feature selection tool which aims at choosing automatically relevant features for a prediction algorithm. The tool enables the amelioration of the predictions' performance, reduces manual selections, and constitutes an important step in the model optimization process.
- Developed a historical metrics feature to keep track of, detect, and quickly analyze the predictions' quality.
- Implemented unit and integration (Selenium) tests to cover the predictions' critical code.
- Modeled and optimized algorithms for new business models.
- Resolved the latency problem of this new business model.
- Developed a PageRank simulator in Swing.
- Studied possible extensions of PageRank and their relevance in comparison to classic metrics such as H-Index, G-Index, PR-A.
- Implemented the new algorithm in the author and paper graph issued from DBLP (about 70,000 authors and 1.7 million papers).
- Contributed to the article "Publication Induced Research Analysis (PIRA) - Experiments on Real Data."
- Implemented Maven to better handle Java projects in the team.
Ban Co Biet (Do You Know?)
Flickle - Movie Recommendations
Vloupe is created with AngularJS on the front and Python/Flask on the back-end.
Dudoanbongda (Football Score Prediction)
Functionalities: private/public competition group, user ranking, scores updated in real time using a third-party API.
Presentation of Node.js for VN-INFO Grouphttps://github.com/nguyenkims/nodejs-vninfo
Integrating Facebook Login in AngularJS App with Satellizer
How to Create an SSO Button – A Flask Login Tutorial
Flask, Django, ASP.NET MVC, Hadoop, AngularJS, Swing, Scrapy
SQLAlchemy, React, Scikit-learn, NumPy, Vue
Git, PyCharm, Microsoft Visual Studio, IntelliJ IDEA, Xcode, Android Studio, Canvas, Postfix, Ansible
Agile Software Development, Concurrent Programming, Test-driven Development (TDD)
Docker, Android, Apache Kafka, iOS, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
MySQL, Databases, SQLite, Microsoft SQL Server, Neo4j, PostgreSQL, MongoDB
Architecture, Security, Machine Learning, 3D Rendering, 3D
Master of Science Degree in Parallel Computing
Telecom - Paris, France
Master of Science Degree in Computer science
Ecole Polytechnique - Ile-de-France, France
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring