Python Developer in Commerce Charter Township, MI, United States
Software Engineer, Release Engineering2015 - 2017Dropbox
Technologies: Python, Puppet, Jenkins, VMware vSphere, Trac, Bitten, Bash
- Operationalized and automated manual processes related to desktop client builds (Windows, Linux, and OSX).
- Maintained and improved the existing build system (Trac, Bitten, py.test) for desktop clients.
- Designed and deployed a new desktop client build system using Jenkins, VMware vSphere, and Python.
- Participated in on-call rotation for build issues.
- Wrote custom puppet modules for OS X and Linux to provision build infrastructure.
Senior Back-end Engineer2014 - 2015CommandIQ
Technologies: Python, AWS (EC2, Redshift, S3, boto), Python, Redis, RQ
- Improved the reliability and functionality of back-end systems (data processing pipeline).
- Used auto-scaling groups for deployment (Netflix-style red/black deploys of new AMIs).
- Integrated Rollbar for better visibility of platform errors and exceptions.
- Added monitoring via CloudWatch.
- Managed a Redshift data warehouse cluster (data loading, unloading, monitoring, cluster resizing, etc.).
Senior Software Engineer, Operations2012 - 2014Lumosity (Lumos Labs)
Technologies: Ruby on Rails, Chef, MySQL, Redis, Python, Nagios, Graphite, HAProxy, CentOS
- Fixed hardware failures, network failures, MySQL and Redis crashes, bad deploys, DDoS attacks, failed maintenance windows, and more at all hours of the day.
- Managed 150 dedicated servers (dedicated hardware from SoftLayer).
- Sharded and scaled clusters for MySQL, Redis, and Memcached.
- Added automation and monitoring for all levels of the stack.
- Managed configuration with Chef and Ansible.
Software Engineer, Operations2011 - 2012Lolapps
Technologies: Python, Pylons, Fabric, Bash, MySQL, MongoDB, Memcached, HAProxy
- Rewrote copy-pasted Bash deployment scripts as clean, re-usable Python code (with Fabric).
- Migrated internal Subversion repos to Git and GitHub.
- Set up a continuous integration and deployment system using Jenkins.
- Implemented automated rolling of MySQL table partitions to safely rotate out old data on live database servers.
- Helped manage 200+ dedicated servers in many capacities including provisioning, automation, and maintenance.
Software Engineer2008 - 2011ePrize
- Built online promotions for top brands such as Xbox, Disney, Gap, Condé Nast, Dell, and Coca-Cola.
- Led development on Xbox Live Rewards.
- Built custom CMS and internationalization functionality on top of Django.
- Did back-end engineering work for large scale email marketing campaigns via ExactTarget.
- Developed Facebook applications.
- Integrated and built data exchanges for clients using a broad range of technologies (SOAP, REST, SFTP, Java, C#, Perl, Python, etc.).
- Created custom reports and dashboards for clients to help them visualize their programs' metrics.
Robotics Lab Assistant2005 - 2007Lawrence Technological University
Technologies: Java, Python, C, C++, Robotics, SVG
- Built software to generate thousands of pages of printed material for Robofest competitions (certificates, name badges, signs, etc.).
- Did web development for Robofest.net using Java, JSP, and Python.
- Taught classes and led workshops on robotics for people of all ages (grade school through adult).
- Helped organize and run Robofest events.
- Conducted systems administration for robotics and computer labs on campus (Linux, Windows, Solaris).
- Journal of Brief Ideas (Development)https://github.com/physicsdavid/journalofbriefideas
An open access journal (like arXiv) for scientific ideas. Winner of the Communications category at Science Hack Day SF 2013.
- OpenXC Taximeter (Development)https://github.com/lost-theory/ingenuity-taxi
A program that shows drivers the real-time cost of their trip using data from OpenXC. Winner of Best Use of Data at BoingBoing Ingenuity 2013.
- Xbox Live Rewards (Development)http://rewards.xbox.com/
Microsoft's loyalty program for Xbox Live members. I built out the back-end (integrating with Xbox Live and partners), CMS functionality and internationalization, and front-end features (surveys, data visualization, other interactive functionality).
- Disney Movie Rewards (Development)http://www.disneymovierewards.go.com/
Disney's movie rewards program. I performed maintenance and built out custom functionality including custom reporting, promotions, and integration with Disney and other vendors.
- My StackOverflow profile (Other amazing things)http://stackoverflow.com/users/75956/lost-theory
Rated top 10% for Python development.
FrameworksFlask, Pylons, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Django
ToolsNagios, GitHub, Git, Mercurial, Subversion (SVN), Adobe Photoshop, Audacity, Paint.NET, Inkscape
PlatformsLinux, MacOS, Android, Windows, Mailgun
StorageRedis, Memcached, MySQL, Redshift, PostgreSQL, MongoDB
ParadigmsDevOps, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Functional Programming, Agile Software Development, Asynchronous Programming, Scrum, Concurrent Programming
Libraries/APIsTwilio API, Twitter API, Underscore.js, jQuery, Facebook API
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science with a minor in Mathematics2003 - 2008Lawrence Technological University - Southfield, Michigan