Verified Expert in Engineering
DevOps Engineer and Software Developer
Sungho is a DevOps engineer with 10+ years of experience in different companies, from mid-size startups to well-known brands. He specializes in container orchestration, infrastructure as code, and deployment pipeline automation (CI/CD). His preferred tool stack consists of AWS, Terraform, Kubernetes, and Helm. Sungho is proficient in configuration management tools such as SaltStack, Ansible, and Chef.
Amazon Web Services (AWS), Kubernetes, Helm, Terraform, Docker, SaltStack, Linux
The most amazing...
...automation I've built is codifying and orchestrating entire stack of infrastructure and application from the ground up for BloomHealth.
- Improved infrastructure security and processes toward SOC 2 and HIPAA compliance.
- Consulted various teams with DevOps needs with a security focus.
- Automated the CI/CD process for Terraform codebase using GitHub Actions.
- Won the 2022 hackathon with Apple Watch health data integration with the Calm app.
Senior Site Reliability Engineer
- Modularized and automated Terraform codebase using Terragrunt and GitHub Actions.
- Assisted QA engineers in further automating the test suites and improved the reliability of the CI/CD process.
- Maintained Kubernetes-centric infrastructure under tight security requirements and compliance.
Senior Site Reliability Engineer
- Migrated the production load of FlightStats to Kubernetes with HA, autoscaling, and centralized logging and monitoring.
- Developed the deployment pipeline written as a Jenkins file featuring pull request analysis, automated tests, automated staging deployment, and blue-green deployment for the production environment for zero-downtime deployment.
- Transformed manually managed AWS environment into automated infrastructure with Terraform and Serverless Framework.
Senior DevOps Engineer
- Evaluated new tools and provided reference architecture with automation to help other teams adapt.
- Developed CI/CD pipeline automation for AWS Lambda, API Gateway, and ECS with Python.
- Automated Docker Swarm cluster creation and CI/CD for containers with SaltStack.
DevOps Engineer | CloudOps Engineer
- Maintained and improved existing AWS infrastructure provisioned with Chef and RightScale.
- Designed and implemented more automated and event-driven infrastructure from scratch with CloudFormation, SaltStack, and Docker. From VPC to Route 53 entries, everything was automated.
- Researched and implemented new tools such as OpenVPN, Elasticsearch, and AWS RDS with security requirements and restrictions under HIPAA compliance.
Ruby DevOps Engineer
- Managed Best Buy's software development lifecycle tools, including OpenStack infrastructure, Atlassian stacks, Artifactory, and Jenkins.
- Used Opscode Chef for configuration management, Jenkins for continuous integration, OpenStack for testing and development environment, and AWS for production environment.
- Consulted various teams in Best Buy to enable Agile methodology for specific team needs.
- Managed security vulnerabilities of 2,500 servers in the Windows Server environment.
- Automated the Windows Server security patching and reporting.
- Reduced reported vulnerability counts by more than half within a year.
Helm Upgrade for Calmhttps://sunghospark.com/blog/helm-2-to-3/
Upgrading Helm 2 to Helm 3 was a major task that removed the server component hosted inside the Kubernetes cluster with god mode permission, which was a security concern. This project describes step-by-step upgrade procedures and potential issues during the upgrade process.
Helm, Terraform, Jenkins, SaltStack, Chef, Atlassian Suite, AWS CloudFormation, Docker Swarm, Amazon Elastic Container Service (Amazon ECS), Traefik
Amazon Web Services (AWS), Kubernetes, Docker, Linux, Windows Server, OpenStack, AWS Lambda
Programming, Networking, Serverless, CI/CD Pipelines, Amazon API Gateway, Kubernetes Operations (kOps), Teleport
Python, C#, Ruby
Jenkins Pipeline, Terragrunt
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Engineering
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis, MN, USA
Cisco Certified Network Associate