Verified Expert in Engineering
Surendran is an entrepreneur (an alum of YCombinator) and developer (ex-Yahoo! employee) with versatile experience in full-stack web development. He is very adaptable and quick to pick up new technology. He enjoys working closely with product functionality to build and evolve the technology stack to meet business requirements.
Ruby on Rails (RoR), Ubuntu, RubyMine, Docker Compose
The most amazing...
...product I have worked on is my startup, which involved hacking the Photoshop file format and automatically generating an HTML output for the files.
- Integrated onboarding of merchants to various financial partners and handled compliance, risk analysis, and self-serve.
- Worked on a payment method integration for a regional payment method.
- Worked on evaluating an ML model to analyze its performance for regional effectiveness.
- Worked as a technology lead and engineering manager for a team of 10-15 folks.
- Managed the eCommerce and marketplace business verticals. Worked on spree commerce (Ruby on Rails) as part of this.
- Cut the overall cost of engineering operations by 50%.
Senior Staff Engineer
- Architected and implemented the overhaul of core middleware to handle 10x throughput at 1/5th cost. This was on ruby on rails stack.
- Architected and led the native k8s deployments in all three clouds - AWS, GCP, and Azure which lead to 30% new customers. Also architected the revertible and controllable software release models which improved stability of the platform by over 100%.
- Built the internal dev and test stacks that improved the developer productivity/efficiency by 10x.
Senior Software Developer
- Designed and developed a data warehousing solution to collect campaign stats monitoring, aggregation, and analytics reporting.
- Worked on Python and Redshift-based in-house built system.
- Implemented a Snowplow-based data platform software which was used for both batch and real-time data pipelines for the warehousing solution.
- Built the geo performance report, which involved working with the Google Gaps API in depth.
- Gained a lot of experience with Google AdWords API and with manipulating data in real time.
- Performed Data visualization and optimizations around Google AdWords use cases.
Co-founder | Chief Developer
- Was responsible for product prototyping, building MVP, and evaluating product cycles.
- Worked on automatically converting Photoshop designs to HTML.
- Performed scaling using Resque, Redis, and MongoDB.
- Hacked into complicated Photoshop File format to extract components like layers, layer comps, and other data.
- Built an HTML5 Canvas app that makes Photoshop files interactively accessible from the browser.
- Worked as a full-stack developer and early employee at YC startup.
- Worked on Codechecker - an online programming judge that runs code in a secure environment.
- Worked with ZeroMQ queueing systems for high-availability queue processing.
- Performed Scaling Web servers, using MySQL on AWS.
- Worked closely with customers and co-developed the product.
Senior System Engineering
- Commissioned and maintained Yahoo! production clusters for internal platforms.
- Built deployment systems, package management and scaling services.
- Performed performance analysis, load testing.
- Worked with cross-functional teams including developers and QA, to release product to production.
- Performed HDFS performance evaluation in Yahoo! cluster nodes.
I worked on a low-level disk benchmark suite to analyze performance of all disks on a machine and analyze IO throughput for given system.
Simple WebRTC chathttp://github.com/surenm/chat
Bootstrap, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Hadoop
Backbone.js, WebRTC, Sidekiq, Google Maps, Facebook API, jQuery, ZeroMQ, Resque, HTML5 Canvas, React, Node.js, Google AdWords
Git, Sublime Text 2, Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit, Sublime Text, Vim Text Editor, RubyMine, Docker Compose
Heroku, Docker, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Ubuntu, LAMP, OS X, Kubernetes, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Jupyter Notebook
MySQLdb, PostgreSQL, Redis, MongoDB, MySQL, Redshift
Ajax, Software Engineering, Architecture, System Design, Big Data, Data Warehousing, Computer Science, Engineering, Data Warehouse Design, CI/CD Pipelines, Electronics
DevOps, Microservices, Agile Software Development, Distributed Programming, Data Science
Training Programme Degree in Computer Science
Hackerschool - Newyork
Bachelor's Degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering
National Institute of Technology Trichy - Trichy