CTO & Co-founder2016 - 2019Orderscape, Inc.
Technologies: Node.js, NLP, Elasticsearch, MongoDB, AWS/Heroku, RabbitMQ
- Developed a guided conversation with an ad-hoc NLP user queries IP.
- Created a facade-adapter object layer for an extensible interface to plug in many online ordering service integrations.
- Developed advanced NLP features that switch menu entities per user session and switch on/off intents with smart context switching based on anticipated answers to support a proprietary conversational model.
Senior Android Architect2014 - 2016GameOn Technology
Technologies: Android, Node.js, PubNub, NLP, RXJava, Localytics, Android Studio
- Developed solo for GameOn's Android sports chat app supporting state-of-the-art notifications and extended media experience across numerous channels using error-free, performant, asynchronous code. Helped re-architect the cloud and API to enhance simplicity, reliability, and performance.
Senior Software Architect2012 - 2014Litl
- Enhanced mobile uploader speed and reliability.
- Wrote a cool, fun, and complex custom view for displaying, selecting, and deleting favorite photos.
- Added comprehensive video media support to the photo app.
- Wrote a slew of new UI features for an upcoming release (confidential).
- Enhanced wovenshow.com to display video using Flowplayer.
- Fixed bugs to enhance product reliability.
Senior Software Consultant2012 - 2012Go-Matic/Samsung
Technologies: Android, Eclipse, Java
- Designed and wrote a to-be-released, cutting-edge Android app demonstrating 802.11's mesh networking technology, involving complex multi-device file distribution and synchronization logic, localized NTP time servers, and more.
Senior Software Architect and Tech Lead (Nook E-reader)2009 - 2012Barnes & Noble
Technologies: Android, REST, SQLite, SVN, Java, Eclipse + IntelliJ IDEA
- Hired first at the company's Nook engineering team in Palo Alto.
- Interviewed and contributed to hiring decisions for the entire original Nook team as lead interviewer.
- Generated architecture and requirements for Nook Classic, Nook Color, and Nook Tablet as tech lead.
- Wrote the entire Shop App across generations.
- Co-led the Nook Advanced Technologies Group focusing on new UX and product concepts. Filed seven patents.
- Acted as internal and external team liaison.
- Mentored several younger engineers.
- Gave several presentations to the CEO and board of directors.
- Spearheaded exciting NFC initiatives and technologies for in-store experiences.
Lead Consulting Engineer2008 - 2009iPhone Game Developer
Technologies: Cocoa, iPhone SDK, Objective-C, Xcode, iPhone Simulator, Interface Builder, Shell and scripts, Final Cut Pro, Dreamweaver, Subversion
- Consulted for a Las Vegas-based company that developed cutting-edge interactive touch games.
- Wrote a complex touch-interactive and shake video-based game for the iPhone and iPod touch. The app included full eCommerce store GUI (like App Store) to purchase and download additional titles.
- Interfaced with the osCommerce server including authentication, downloads, presentation, and updates.
- Developed custom scripting and scoring engine as well as complex branching logic.
President, CTO, and Co-founder2007 - 2008FohBoh - Restaurant Business Network
- Led the development of FohBoh, the world's first and leading social-business network for the $500 billion US restaurant industry with a worldwide following using Ning.
- Developed technology roadmap, trademarks, presentations, and product requirement documents.
- Co-wrote business plans and presentations and helped with contract negotiations.
- Assisted with business development and fundraising efforts.
- Served on the board through 2009.
President, CTO, and Co-founder2006 - 2008Talktiva
Technologies: SSML, VoiceXML
- Founded and headed up Talktiva, which sought to deliver the world's first voice entertainment network enabling consumers to converse verbally and interactively with famous virtual electronic personalities 24/7 by phone in multiple languages.
- Helped develop the business plan, architecture, technology roadmap, patent strategy, trademarks, presentations, and product requirement documents.
- Put together a star-studded technical advisory board with luminaries in speech technology and Silicon Valley from General Magic.
- Developed an exciting, working proof-of-concept, TalkToSanta, using VoiceXML.
- Researched the market, evaluated numerous third-party technology providers, and assisted with business development and fundraising efforts.
- Developed strategy to digitize celebrity voices for TalkTo programs using leading edge voice tech companies at substantially lower cost.
CTO and Co-founder2004 - 2006UGOBE Life Forms
Technologies: Assembly, C, Java, Python
- Ugobe Life Forms is a consumer robotics company that develops revolutionary, synthetic life forms that move fluidly and behave like living creatures. Its first life form was Pleo, the pet dinosaur.
- Helped bootstrap the company from startup to Series-A, serving in numerous capacities by developing the business plan, product concept, prototype, product requirements, company brand, market research, technology roadmap and engineering plans.
- Assisted with business development, trade shows, investor presentations, and relations, along with sales calls to national retailers including Radio Shack and Sharper Image.
- Interviewed and recruited staff and vendors, including PR, engineering, and design firms. Developed motion-control firmware and emotional response software in C, Assembly language, and Python.
CTO and Chief Architect2003 - 2004Audio-Ex
Technologies: Java, JBoss, Oracle, Helix Server, JMS, Ubiquity, PointOne Communications, Peer 1
- Co-architected a teleconferencing server using JBoss to provide fault-tolerant services interfacing with partner bridges.
- Developed presentation-audio synchronization playback and web presentation billing service using SOAP technology integrating with partner platforms.
- Developed technical strategy and architecture for company's new VoIP teleconferencing service to lower operating costs and increase competitiveness.
- Negotiated service contracts with Ubiquity, PointOne Communications, and Peer 1.
- Managed consultants and performed industry research.
Principal Engineer2001 - 2002BridgeSpan Corporation
Technologies: Java, XML, XSL
- Developed core features of the eMortgageAxis online escrow platform (in partnership with Fannie Mae), including complex fee calculations for HUD forms, proximity search algorithms, and a search engine.
- Helped define/implement advanced XML SmartDoc standard in conjunction with Fannie Mae and MISMO to represent secure, electronic notes.
- Used Java, XML, XSLT, CVS, Oracle, regression tests and developed highly complex Excel spreadsheets.
Director of Engineering1999 - 2001Ten Square
Technologies: Java, XML, HTML, Webserver, Assembly
- Built and managed engineering, QA, and IT departments (staff of 31) as the company's first employee reporting to the CEO.
- Designed enterprise architecture for the company's advertising and eCommerce service for gas pumps at service stations nationwide.
- Wrote marketing requirements and functional specs for five-tier network architecture: WebLogic enterprise server with Java, Oracle Database, Ten Square's AMBOS station controller, client-based station controller, and thin client gas pumps.
- Developed capital equipment budgets, handled purchasing, mocked up user interfaces, and developed board and partner presentations.
- Developed a unique coupon data packing method using 2D barcodes for the POS.
- Evaluated and purchased ETAK GeoEngine for mapping and turn-by-turn directions. Evaluated and purchased Engage's AdEngine to manage ad delivery on thin client gas pumps.
- Assisted with business development efforts, technical due diligence, and contract negotiations.
- Researched wireless market and technology to enable telematics and internet access for vehicles at stations.
- Chaired the company's technical advisory board, handled investor/partner technology audits, and worked with partners Chevron, BP/Amoco, Marconi, VeriFone, IVI Checkmate, Exxon, and others.
CEO and Founder1997 - 1999SurveySez Corporation
Technologies: Apache Webserver, Perl
- Developed SurveySez SaaS, an application allowing online customers to construct, run, and embed interactive surveys within their websites using Perl and Apache web server.
- Provided real-time reports and invented PowerAds, which were mini-surveys within banner ads.
- Sold intellectual property to ClickToMarket.
Senior Consultant1996 - 1997Webcrawler/Excite
Technologies: NeXTStep, C, Oracle SQL and Enterprise Objects
- Developed anti-spam algorithms to cleanse Webcrawler's search index.
- Re-engineered the entire search pipeline as well as streamlined database schemas and indices to achieve a 2x performance increase.
- Developed keyword-based search-result advertising, the precursor to Google's AdWords.
- Independently developed ImageCrawler, a unique image search engine technology.
Software Engineering Manager1994 - 1996Catapult Entertainment, Inc.
Technologies: Assembly, C, Java
- Developed XBAND, the first peer-to-peer video game network over phone lines for Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo.
- Helped design an entire embedded operating system on bare metal platforms, developing key libraries including resource manager, pattern allocator, image compressor, and smart card driver.
- Developed call-waiting detection (US Patent #5,651,060) letting calls interrupt games and then recover game play.
- Led the development team on a back-end player matching service, comprehensive national telephone database, top ten calculations, and player statistics.
- Led the research project to determine network performance for internet gaming.
Software Engineering Manager1991 - 1994RasterOps Corporation
Technologies: Assembly, C, MPEG, JPEG, MPW
- Managed the core team developing software for the company's entire line of video products.
- Wrote low-level and application software for the new line of MoviePak, video capture/playback products for Macintosh.
- Used C and Assembly language, motion JPEG, and MPEG standards.
- Interacted closely with LSI Logic chip engineers.
- Worked with Adobe Premier and Apple QuickTime team on protocols, drivers, and compatibility.
Senior Software Engineer1989 - 1991NeXT Computer, Inc.
Technologies: Objective-C, Assembly, MPEG, JPEG, Compositing, 3D
- Developed innovative graphics and media software for NeXTstation and NeXTdimension Color workstations, adding multiple frame buffer support and real-time image compositing functionality.
- Extended the window server to support multiple displays (awarded US Patent #5,388,201 for multiple bit depth windows), developed live video media capture, and wrote a comprehensive 2D alpha compositing library to enhance Adobe's Display Postscript.
- Worked on real-time video recording and playback product support for workstations, writing low-level drivers and high-level application examples.
- Contributed to Mac OS kernel development, wrote tablet drivers, and served on the department's performance team.
Software Engineer1987 - 1989Radius
Technologies: C, Assembly
- Wrote and consolidated Radius display firmware for Radius' entire line of large-screen display products.
- Developed cutting-edge tear-off menus, a real-time screen magnifier, and comprehensive control panel software, all first-to-market product features.
Software Intern - International OS Group1986 - 1986Apple
Technologies: C, Assembly
- Developed custom compression algorithms for ideographic kanji and Arabic fonts.