Verified Expert in Engineering
Cloud Solution Architect and Lead Developer
Tomislav is a software engineer, technical consultant, and solution architect who began as a technical partner for an online media business, growing it from zero to over 100,000 monthly readers. After years in software engineering, he now provides technical leadership through consulting and architecting dynamic, reliable, and scalable cloud solutions to support business growth and optimize complex architectures gone wrong. As an infrastructure lead, he makes the cloud a friendly place.
Sublime Text, Linux, Git, Trello, Terraform, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
The most amazing...
...back-end architecture and real-time data processing system I've built was for the financial platform Scout Finance, acquired in 2017 by Money.net.
Technical Consultant | Solution Architect
- Acted as a technical consultant and a software architect on multiple software solutions to deliver APIs, single-page applications, real-time web applications, and distributed applications for the cloud.
- Served as a cloud solution architect, designing and provisioning AWS cloud infrastructures and optimizing costs by right-sizing and choosing the appropriate cloud technologies.
- Performed R&D and concept development work, helping select appropriate technologies and platforms for future development.
- Stepped into the role of an operations engineer and was in charge of running cloud infrastructure, CI/CD pipelines, logging and monitoring, and enabling development teams to focus on development.
- Implemented several web applications in Node.js on the server side with Backbone.js, Marionette.js, AngularJS, Angular, or React on the client side.
Senior Enterprise Architect
Hospitality Digital GmbH - Main Hospitality Digital GmbH
- Collaborated with the company leadership to improve company culture and communication.
- Worked with the tech leadership on future architecture and technology planning.
- Advised development teams on architecture, tech choices, and identifying software issues.
- Created a set of standardized guidelines for approaching software projects across teams.
- Improved one system's performance by over 10,000% by identifying and resolving a bottleneck in a SQL stored procedure through collaboration with the relevant team.
Technical Solution Architect
- Supported the integration of enterprise partners with Deliveroo as a technical solution architect in the enterprise integrations team. Worked on the design and architecture of technical solutions for multimillion-worth integrations projects.
- Gathered relevant data points for integration, analyzed the partners' systems and data availability, and assessed the requirements to enable successful partners' integrations with Deliveroo.
- Handled technical communication with the partners' commercial and technical teams during the project discovery phase, aligning the technical capabilities of both parties for successful integration.
- Produced technical specification documents based on the analyses and discoveries made, describing the details of the integrations implementations.
- Collaborated with other internal teams in Deliveroo—commercial, integrations project managers, and engineers—to drive the projects to a successful roll-out.
- Produced RFC documents suggesting improvements and advancements in Deliveroo's integrations systems and the core product's support for the integrations work.
Principal AWS Solution Architect
LEVELS Cloud Infrastructure
- Acted as the infrastructure lead during product development.
- Designed and built an auto-scalable, fault-tolerant, and secure AWS cloud infrastructure.
- Designed and set up automated CI/CD pipelines for all server-side and web-based services.
- Assisted the development teams in optimally utilizing the AWS cloud for their use case.
- Consulted with the client on distributed software architecture.
- Developed on-demand background processing utility services with AWS Lambda and Fargate and Amazon ECS.
Senior Software Architect
- Designed the system architecture for scalability and performance, supporting over 30,000 registered users at the time of acquisition.
- Made the technology choices using Node.js, Hapi, React, and MobX.
- Provided implementation of the REST APIs, web applications, and data imports.
- Interfaced with external data providers like Thomson Reuters, Wall Street Horizon, and Xignite.
- Designed and handled the AWS-based cloud infrastructure and CI/CD pipelines.
- Built the system from the ground up. It was acquired by Money.net about two and a half years later.
- Developed a front-end Marionette.js application and a server-side Node.js RESTful API.
- Implemented real-time WebSockets communication between the front and back end via RabbitMQ.
- Implemented the front end using HTML5 and Less CSS while incorporating responsive web design techniques.
- Involved in setting up automated build and deployment CI procedures for the web application and the API and handling basic Joyent SmartOS server administration.
- Introduced the company to remote work processes and Kanban agile practices.
Technical Director | Partner
- Ran the company as a technical co-founder, building it from the ground up to over 100,000 regular monthly readers.
- Took part in defining content strategies and handled the technical aspect of cooperating with partners and advertising space offerings.
- Managed a small engineering team for content management system (CMS) development.
- Integrated third-party solutions into the line-of-business stack, including an ad-serving platform, bulletin board, blogging platform, and photo gallery.
- Founded and developed the photography section. Led a team of 12 photographers as an editor of photography, coordinating their assignments.
- Implemented backup automation to the Amazon S3 cloud. Handled system administration and IT support.
- Developed a client-side Backbone.js single page application.
- Restyled front-end implementations to comply with higher and more modern standards.
- Prototyped and implemented Node.js and Socket.IO communication, enabling real-time application capabilities.
- Delivered C# and Java web applications using the underlying Oracle databases.
- Developed Oracle PL/SQL scripts used for procedural on-demand data processing.
- Contributed to GIS systems development on Intergraph's platform.
- Introduced the company to using version control systems for managing the source code.
- Introduced the company to using Wiki platforms for the documentation, resulting in the ISO certification requirement of having the full change history easily satisfied later.
WebCamp Zagreb Conference | Co-organizer, 2013-2018http://webcampzg.org
Muzika.hr | Partner, 2002-2013http://www.muzika.hr/
"Cutting Costs with AWS Lambda for Highly Scalable Image Processing" | Publicationhttps://aws.amazon.com/blogs/apn/cutting-costs-with-aws-lambda-for-highly-scalable-image-processing/
A serverless computing model with AWS Lambda is a natural fit for utility classes of tasks, such as preparing and sending transactional emails and push notifications.
Technical Consultant and Project Managerhttps://www.beautypass.app/
Technical Consultant and Trainer
High-end Second-hand Designer Clothes Retailerhttps://www.materialworld.co/
Web-based Phone Solution with Extra Functionalitieshttps://www.bettervoice.com/
Employee-sourced Problem Solving and Idea Generation Applicationhttps://getspeakup.com/
Hapi.js, ASP.NET, Express.js, .NET, .NET Core, NHibernate, Angular, AngularJS
Node.js, REST APIs, React, MobX, Backbone.js, Marionette.js, Socket.IO, AngularUI
Amazon CloudFront CDN, GitHub, Amazon Simple Queue Service (SQS), Terraform, CircleCI, AWS Deployment, AWS IAM, Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC), NGINX, Amazon ElastiCache, Git, RabbitMQ, Mocha, AWS Fargate, Amazon Elastic Container Service (Amazon ECS), Grunt, AWS Simple Notification Service (SNS), Amazon EBS, AWS CodeDeploy, Amazon CloudWatch
DevOps, Continuous Integration (CI), Continuous Delivery (CD), Kanban, Agile Software Development, Automation, CQRS, REST, Management, Microservices Architecture, Microservices
Amazon EC2, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Docker, Windows Server, Heroku, Linux, AWS ALB, AWS Lambda, Oracle
Amazon S3 (AWS S3), MongoDB, Amazon Aurora, Database Modeling, PostgreSQL, Database Architecture, SQL Performance, Redis, MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, Datadog, PL/SQL
APIs, Infrastructure, Cloud Infrastructure, Software Architecture, System Architecture, AWS Certified Developer, AWS Certified Solution Architect, Cloud Platforms, Architecture, AWS Cloud Architecture, Cloud Architecture, CTO, Full-stack, Web Development, Cloud, AWS DevOps, Technical Requirements, Functional Requirements, Solution Architecture, Technical Leadership, Software Development, Amazon RDS, Load Balancers, Elastic Load Balancers, API Integration, Data Structures, Networking, CI/CD Pipelines, Relational Database Design, Containers, Database Schema Design, Remix, IT Infrastructure, Performance, Query Optimization, WebSockets, Serverless, IIS, Lambda Functions, Cost Management, AWS CodePipeline, GitFlow, Infrastructure as Code (IaC), Single-page Applications (SPA), Organization, People Management, Business, Business Planning, Media, R&D, Knowledge Transfer, Minimum Viable Product (MVP), Web Application Firewall (WAF), Amazon API Gateway, User Requirements, Distributed Systems, Consulting, Advisory, Fintech, Technical Consulting, Team Leadership, Training, Management Consulting
Master's Degree in Computing
University of Zagreb - Zagreb, Croatia
AWS Certified Developer Associate
AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate