Senior Developer | Owner2011 - PRESENTBalsa
- Designed and developed MK Express, a multilingual desktop application written in Free Pascal and available on Windows, Mac, Linux, and Raspberry PI; included were antipiracy measures and the Mkexpress.com website it is sold from.
- Developed E-TS, a large enterprise desktop application written in Delphi for service industries such as locksmiths, electricians, and plumbers; including FIFO stock control, double-entry journals, Xero integration, and job scheduling.
- Implemented DevOps for a number of SaaS PHP websites such as Licensed.nz and Mkcalc.com; including online payments and Xero integration.
- Designed and developed PinCalc, a mobile application written in Dart on the Flutter framework.
- Designed, developed, deployed, and maintained several PHP websites from my own simple Balsa.co.nz to more complex management tools like Activate.whsoftware.com.
- Built libraries providing an interface for applications to control key-cutting machines over RS232.
Senior Developer2011 - 2013Invenco Group
Technologies: Windows, DCOM, PVCS, Perl, Firebird, Delphi, Relational Databases
- Developed an extensive point-of-sales system for the petroleum industry written in Delphi.
- Created and maintained an automated build script.
- Added and maintained custom features for each client.
Senior Developer2006 - 2011W.H Software
Technologies: Subversion (SVN), Linux, Windows, Free Pascal, C#, SQLite, MySQL, Firebird, PHP, Delphi, LAMP, Apache, Payment APIs, PayPal, Payment Gateways, Responsive, Relational Databases, REST APIs, Responsive Coding
- Developed, maintained, and deployed a number of PHP websites.
- Created several desktop applications written in Delphi and Free Pascal.
- Constructed libraries providing a standard interface to key cutting machines over RS232.
- Developed anti-piracy code with remote activation.
Senior Developer2005 - 2006Discovery
Technologies: Firebird, PVCS, Delphi, Relational Databases
- Developed an engine that handles the calculations and updates to insurance policies on file and those being quoted on.
- Built a briefcase desktop application that enables insurance brokers to quote on new insurance policies as well as make quotes on modifications to existing policies.
- Implemented a layer to translate the insurance policies to and from XML.
Senior Developer2002 - 2005Tollink
Technologies: Paradox, PVCS, Assembly, IBM Informix, Firebird, Delphi, Relational Databases
- Developed a point-of-sales (POS) desktop application written in Delphi for the toll gate industry.
- Integrated the POS app with the hardware used in the toll gate environment such as traffic lights, ticket issuers, coin machines, ETC tag readers, and Touch 'n Go readers.
- Built a server to record activity and prevent fraud by staff members.
- Developed software to manage the toll gate from the control room along with displaying live metrics and faults.
- Installed on-site the software systems and servers in South Africa, India, Ireland, and Germany.
Senior Developer2001 - 2002Tenders On-Line
Technologies: InterBase, Delphi, Relational Databases
- Built a server that stores and processes tender documents in XML form. This server then allows invited parties to tender and handles their responses.
- Developed a client desktop application to create tender documents or to respond by entering prices and variations. This application also allowed for adjudication.
- Installed and managed the online server.
Developer1999 - 2002Department of Water and Forestry
Technologies: PVCS, IBM Informix, InterBase, Delphi, Relational Databases
- Developed a Delphi client-server desktop application to allow for the management of water and GIS features.
- Created an application to port data from the old database structure to the new one.
- Built an engine to generate letters and statements to the public in any of the 11 official languages along with a front end to author the documents.
Sergeant | Intelligence Handler1997 - 1999South African Police Services
Technologies: Turbo Pascal, C++, C, Paradox, Visual Basic, Assembly, Delphi, Relational Databases
- Developed software to aid covert communications and management of covert assets.
- Looked into tactics employed in circumventing network security.
- Investigated breaches in network security and identified attempts.