Verified Expert in Engineering
Since 2011, Vladimir's been making a living in Android development, delivering production-ready apps either from scratch or using the client's existing codebase. He uses a robust approach to application architecture and establishes best practices at the get-go to encourage stable software behavior and transparent development estimates. Vladimir's thorough analysis of business requirements to find obscure issues leads the product to meet not just project goals but real-life needs.
Redmine, Jira, Slack, Git, Gradle, Ubuntu, Kotlin, Java, Android SDK, Android Studio
The most amazing...
...thing I've developed is a mobile application to control an airplane.
- Developed more than ten various Android applications (and one code library) from scratch and made them production-ready.
- Improved more than ten other applications that came with an existing codebase.
- Trained more than five Android developers as a part of learning courses or through mentoring.
Senior Android Developer
- Maintained the development of a mobile app that controlled the aircraft cabin environment.
- Implemented an architecture to organize quick parallel development of the medical rescue system by a team of up to six developers.
- Developed a nice animated weather widget for Tizen Watch.
- Developed a geolocation multiplayer online game before Google developed its own.
- Developed a smooth and relaxing internet radio app.
- Created a colorful, animated app that helps users to manage home finances.
The Diool Android app is used by point-of-sale operators (cashiers) to collect cash or mobile money payments from their customers. It is also used by business owners/managers to do other business operations (sending invoices, transferring money, etc).
• Various payment transactions: regular merchant payments, mobile money recharges, and invoice cash settlements
• User's financial account management, balance top-up/withdraw, and transaction history with export options
• Organization management: points-of-sale and employee configuration
• Contact list to send or request payments
• Payment requests (invoices)
• Approval flows for some types of operations
• Feature customization based on business/user type or pricing plan
• I managed the Android-related development—from requirements and UI analysis to Google Play publication. Starting from an existing project, a complete architectural and UI redesign was eventually done, and numerous features were implemented. We've published dozens of releases with the team and continue the project's active development.
Billfold software consists of a back end, a web panel, and a batch of Android apps.
• Check-in board (used for wristband activation)
• Two-sided shop app (one side for the salespeople, the other for the customers)
• Top-up app (used to refill wristband balance)
• Multiple payment types
• Event customization
• Extremely quick service: from seven seconds per customer
• Thousands of orders during a short concert intermission
• Partial offline work
• And more
I received the project with an existing codebase and was responsible for the entire Android development in the system. I refactored some modules to improve stability and resolve a set of user-annoying issues and also added dozens of new modules and features. I then repeatedly reviewed and redesigned business requirements to extend system capabilities and simplify behavior. Later, I also mentored a second Android developer and did code reviews.
• Order a ride and choose a cargo type, route, departure time, and other advanced options.
• Track ride status.
• Track car geolocation.
• Change the route during the ride (if possible).
• Provide the option to pay by bank card.
• Driver/customer ratings/feedback
• User profile along with a ride history
• Templates for repeated rides
• Driver statistics
• Discount promo codes
I developed both Android applications from scratch to production-ready based on requirements and UI design provided by the client.
Forex Charts Graphics Engine
• Rendering: Forex candles (rates history), the current rate;
• Rendering: trading volumes, indicators, and trader's orders;
• Animated scrolling, gestures, horizontal scaling, and vertical scaling (auto and manual);
• The ability for users to add and edit custom graphic elements (lines, text labels, various chart marks);
• The ability for a client developer to customize all aspects rendered: colors, fonts, size, layout, scale/scroll modes, and custom graphic elements;
• Cross-platform compatibility with the iOS version;
• Nice performance.
I was a technical lead for a team of 3-4 Android developers. I designed engine architecture and organized the teamwork, including task management and assignment, estimates and planning, code review, and result control. I also communicated with the client team directly, which involved requirements analysis and technical consultations. I also wrote the code for the most challenging modules.
Zoi | App for Emergency Medical Workers
• A massive set of various types of information to collect;
• Various information types: from primitive strings and numbers to videos and car accident diagrams;
• All the fields that are to be filled by a medical worker are server configurable as various medical departments may use completely different kinds of information;
• Offline mode: in field;
• Online mode: in hospital;
• Driver license barcode scanner;
I led a team of 3 – 6 developers, and my challenge was organizing the quick parallel development based on a previously developed iOS version. I oversaw the architecture design, task planning, and code reviews, along with teaching and mentoring team members. I also wrote the code for the application core and a few modules.
Features (regular user application):
• User profile, description, photos, and so on
• Partners search: via a list or on a map
• Mini-chats on a map
• Chat with a partner with the option of planning a coffee meeting (coffeeshop selection, order, payment) inside the chat
• Order history along with order status tracking
• Loyalty program
Features (salesperson app):
• New coffee shop order notification
• Orders list
• Order status and payment tracking and loyalty program tracking
I developed the salesperson version of the app from scratch and mentored my younger colleague, who developed the regular user version app from scratch. I guided him in the architecture design and task planning along with reviewing his code to make sure it was high quality.
• Shops and goods catalog
• Order checkout
• Bank card payment
• Orders and payments history
I developed the app from scratch based on the UI design provided.
• Budget tracking: income, expenses, accounts, and transactions
• Various monthly, weekly, biweekly, and annual budgets
• UI animations, draggable panels, and coins with authentic material
• Design concept from before was nearly everywhere
• Colorful daily, weekly, and monthly statistics
• Financial goals
CoinKeeper is a friendly application from 2011-2013. After we finished the first few versions, our client redesigned the application and continued the development of a new, slightly different version.
The classic version was loved by users so, the client had decided to leave it available on the market, and it is still alive!
I developed the Android version, initially alone and later in a team, and created the business logic layer. The Xamarin framework was used to share business logic between the iOS and Android versions. I also contributed to the back-end development.
Android SDK, Glide, .NET
REST APIs, ACRA, Retrofit, Picasso, Xamarin.Android, Google Maps SDK
Git, Android Studio, Inkscape, Gradle, Slack, Jira, Redmine, MonoDevelop, Apache Maven
Model View Presenter (MVP), Model View Viewmodel (MVVM), Mobile Development, Clean Architecture, Design Patterns
Android, Ubuntu, Xamarin, Web
Mobile App Development, Room, Computer Science, Algorithms, WebSockets, OkHttp, Payment APIs, Technical Leadership
Specialist's Degree with Honors (MA Equivalent) in Computer Science
Petersburg State Transport University - St. Petersburg, Russia
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring