Verified Expert in Engineering
Solutions Architect and Developer
Yuri is a senior solutions architect with 20 years of experience across media and marketing (Shutterstock), automotive and manufacturing (Ford), telco (Verizon), and finance and security. With expertise in embedded, desktop, and cloud platforms, many complex production systems around the world carry his design or code. Yuri builds and leads high-performing, cross-domain teams; speaks a dozen computer languages and five human languages; and has a master's degree in computer engineering.
Amazon Web Services (AWS), Kubernetes, Machine Learning, Serverless, Web Architecture, Startups, eCommerce, APIs, Azure, POC
The most amazing...
...project I've built was a POC for the question-answering AI system that beat Alexa and Siri.
IoT Architect | Development Lead
Deloitte Pixel - Application Studios
- Designed and implemented a vehicle-to-cloud (V2N) communication system for ultra-low-latency messaging. The technology improves road safety for driver-assist and autonomous vehicles. It has a V2X back end based on 5G and AWS wavelength deployment.
- Designed and developed a geocasting algorithm to optimize V2X communication based on Ericsson-proposed geocasting messages routing.
- Led service development, simulation applications, latency optimization, and mission-critical development, such as message routing and ASN1 decoding for the basic safety message (BSM) and roadside alert messages (RSA).
- Designed and integrated Eclipse MOSAIC-based simulator for integration testing. Developed real-time apps for communication between vehicles and the cloud using SAE J2735 messaging.
- Led the integration of an AI-based DeepStream object detection system, analyzing video and lidar streams, detecting vulnerable road users (VRU) like pedestrians and bike riders, and geocasting personal safety messages to the concerned vehicles.
Principal Solutions Architect
- Designed and led the integration of an intelligent digital assistant for Ford's Mustang Mach-E and F150. It integrates voice and Facebook chat clients with Ford's Sync4 embedded cloud hybrid system.
- Restored and rebuilt two abandoned projects, recovering $100,000+ in professional services bills within the first two months of an engagement.
- Created numerous POC projects for the CTO innovation squad, two of which were further grown into products: Cerence Extend, a touchless smartphone control using voice, and Cerence Browse, an AI-powered generic question-answering system.
- Designed and led the development of an Azure-based serverless automotive digital twin platform, delivering a sub-200 ms overall latency car-to-cloud-to-mobile app for one million cars, with IoT traffic peaking at 200,000 TPS.
Staff Software Engineer
- Led R&D initiatives that advanced the Shutterstock technology stack and algorithms to the next level: soundtrack instrument detection and behavioral and collaborative filtering for search and discovery.
- Designed and led a no-downtime production migration to a new Cassandra-based media database hosting 2 billion+ photo, video, and music assets in multiple geolocations and reaching 120,000 TPS.
- Led an initiative to redesign and implement a Fusion and Solr-based next-generation search system featuring AI/ML capabilities: an intention detection and image recommendation system handling 100 million+ daily interactions.
Radialpoint by AppDirect
- Led solutions design, implementation, and maintenance for major NA Telecom clients.
- Delivered solutions for Verizon, Bell, Rogers, and Windstream.
- Designed and partially developed a new Office 365 onboarding infrastructure for Videotron SMB clients.
- Supervised outsourced teams of web and back-end developers.
- Introduced the company to AWS cloud and established and promoted pipelines in the QA environments.
- Redesigned and implemented a new development process that allowed parallel development and promotion of features for a monolith back-end system.
Senior Java Enterprise Developer
- Redesigned and led the implementation of a customer website authentication system for a $100 billion+ mutual fund company.
- Designed and led the implementation of an email marketing platform with a usage analytics engine and a book publisher online catalog with dynamic PDF catalog generation.
- Led a development team to implement a new, modern development lifecycle using test integration and development-quality assurance-production-promotion pipelines.
5G Applications PaaS – V2X Wavelength Edge Platform
Secure cloud platform for 3rd-party applications deployments providing secure communication with the network latency turnaround time for HTTP requests <20 ms.
5G-based "wavelength" Edge platform comprising security management, application management, enterprise integration patterns engine, and messages processing. All included cloud response time under 50 ms.
Implemented several showcase automotive V2X safety use cases.
Automotive Digital Twin Cloud Platform
An end-user companion mobile app displaying a car's telemetry should have around 200 ms overall latency for the whole trip: from hardware to IoT cloud to storage to API to mobile app. The traffic comprises one million cars reporting every five seconds, making it 200,000 per second.
Designed and led the development of Azure-based serverless cloud architecture, maximally using power or native cloud streaming components. It provides performance at a grand scale with the required reliability for the automotive domain.
Virtual Assistant | General Knowledge Answering
Create a system capable of answering virtually any fact-check type question and complement existing embedded car assistants with this capability. Almost single-handedly, I designed, developed, and deployed a POC for such a system. It used a unique process to search for public knowledge and extract an answer to a given question by using an advanced AI model.
• Designed a POC solution.
• Designed and coded two microservice APIs, using Node.js and Python running on Azure Functions (serverless).
• Integrated with Google and Bing APIs.
• Developed an API server to host a PyTorch DNN model.
• Deployed all components into Azure Cloud, using Web Apps, Functions, VM, API Management, and Insights.
• Developed and deployed a BDD test suite.
• Set up a statistics data stream to a Power BI dashboard.
Blockchain-based Investment Platform
Chosen Technology: Blockchain for stake participation and dividends distribution
Database Migration | Two Billion+ Assetshttp://www.shutterstock.com
Replace the business backbone database holding two billion+ assets with no downtime for the company.
Designed and led a no-downtime production migration from MySQL to a new Cassandra-based media database with the following criteria:
• Two billion assets, scalable to 10 billion.
• Candidate selection through POC.
• Peak performance of 120,000 TPS.
• No migration downtime.
Music Search Augmentationhttps://www.premiumbeat.com/royalty-free-music?q=zeppelin
Improve the web search experience for Premiumbeat, a stock music provider, to surface matching available content when customers search for well-known popular names.
Developed an ML-based analytic system, processing daily search stats and using Spotify API and Music Brainz databases to tag offered tracks matching popular artists and songs. As a result, searching for "zeppelin" returns a few dozen classic rock tracks, matching them by the desired style rather than by name.
Web Search Content Filteringhttps://www.shutterstock.com/video/search/data-processing
Enable web search results to be reordered based on customers' geo regions, current and seasonal trends, and collaborative filtering.
I led a solution to implement a data analysis pipeline feeding a collaboration filtering ML model to achieve better surfacing of the video content. This improved the first-line click-through rate by 15% and the first-page click-through rate by 30%.
Upscaled Video Detection Model
Conduct R&D research for a system to detect videos shot in lower resolution and later upscaled by software.
Conducted research and built a POC service capable of performing this task.
• Ran paper research and a series of experiments.
• Transformed scientific research findings into real-world algorithms.
• Trained and applied a variety of ML models.
• Demoed the solution and results to the executive team.
Audio Track Instrument Detection Systemhttp://www.premiumbeat.com
Create a tool that can detect musical instruments in a given soundtrack.
Researched the state of the art and designed a new system using a VGGish model trained on a YouTube-8M dataset. The model has been used as the first stage for transfer learning where a new classification model has been built to classify instruments.
Jest, Spark, Spring, Hadoop, Apache Camel
Node.js, Protobuf, Spark ML, TensorFlow, PyTorch, React
Confluence, Lucidchart, Apache, Jupyter, MQTT, Solr, Microsoft Power BI, DataStax, Git, Azure IoT Hub, IBM Watson, AWS Batch, AWS Glue, Amazon Athena
Web Architecture, Behavior-driven Development (BDD), API Architecture, Microservices, Microservices Architecture, Serverless Architecture, REST, Agile, Scrum, Data Science, ASN.1
Azure, Linux, Amazon Web Services (AWS), AWS Lambda, Azure Functions, Amazon EC2, Kubernetes, Databricks, Oracle, Docker, DigitalOcean, Zendesk, Blockchain
Cassandra, Redis, NoSQL, PostgreSQL, Elasticsearch, IIS SQL Server
Networking, Distributed Systems, Fusion, Serverless, API Integration, Integration, Proof of Concept (POC), MVP Design, Solution Design, APIs, Cloud, IT Strategy, Startups, Architecture, System Architecture, Data Strategy, SaaS, Technical Leadership, Third-party Integration, Web Development, Software Architecture, System Architecture Design, Search, Solution Architecture, Data Engineering, V2X, Performance, Scalability, Voice, Machine Learning, Google Search Appliance, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Enterprise Java Beans (EJB), Big Data Architecture, Videos, Deep Learning, Audio Processing, eCommerce, Computer Vision, Leadership, Information Retrieval, Fintech, Internet of Things (IoT), VerneMQ, Natural Language Understanding (NLU), Zuora, Knowledge Management, Mainframe, IIS, Resin, Natural Language Queries, Research, POC, Pitch Preparation, Cost Estimation, Cryptocurrency Payments, Edge Computing, 5G, HAProxy, OpenStreetMap, Geo-casting, Simulators
Master's Degree in Computer Engineering
Fedkovych National University - Chernivtsi, Ukraine
Certified Kubernetes Application Developer (CKAD)
Microsoft Certified Professional