Customer Success Manager - US-Based Applicants
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote workforce.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Toptal is changing the way that companies build their teams with a global, remote network focused exclusively on top talent. We reject more than 97% of the developers, designers, and others who apply to become part of our network, allowing us to match clients with better talent faster than anyone else. Our proprietary tools and systems drive a differentiated talent acquisition experience, and we continue to push our frontier from staff augmentation to project-based services work.
If you have a relentless commitment to quality and are impatient with the typical pace of progress, Toptal offers a different kind of place to build a career. Our team is direct, data-driven, and hyper-focused on results. We have a bias for action in identifying and solving problems and believe that effective collaboration is a prerequisite for achieving anything meaningful. The pandemic trend toward remote work bent the shape of Toptal’s growth curve sharply upward, and we are confident that our quality-focused model will allow us to capture an increasing share of a massive addressable market. Come grow with us as we build a new way for companies to find and work with the world’s top talent on demand.
This is a remote position. We do not offer visa sponsorship or assistance. Applicants must be authorized to work in the US at the time of hire.
The following information is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or required skills.
As a Customer Success Manager, you will play a vital role in Toptal’s success by working closely with the Sales, Practices, and Alliances teams to qualify and secure new clients. You will expand the Toptal Teams portfolio, catering to both small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) and Enterprise clients. This role demands the ability to collaborate with Toptal Talent team members and internal stakeholders to help scope projects, plan resources, and ensure client satisfaction. To excel in this position, you should have a strong background in account and relationship management across SMB and Enterprise clients, and a solid understanding of software development using Agile methodologies. This role reports to a Director of Delivery.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with clients, in most cases, acting as their primary point of contact and advocate within the organization.
- Understand the client’s goals, objectives, and challenges, and provide guidance and support to ensure successful delivery of their projects.
- Collaborate with clients to define project requirements, scope, and timelines, ensuring alignment with their business objectives.
- Offer expertise and guidance on best practices, industry trends, and potential solutions to help clients achieve their desired outcomes.
- Provide ongoing support and guidance to clients throughout the project lifecycle, addressing any concerns or issues that may arise.
- Conduct regular check-ins and status updates with clients to gather feedback, assess satisfaction levels, and identify areas for improvement.
- Collaborate with internal teams to resolve any client issues or escalations, ensuring timely and effective resolution.
- Act as a bridge between the client and internal teams, facilitating communication and ensuring alignment on project goals and expectations.
- Provide strategic recommendations and insights to clients based on their business objectives and industry knowledge.
- Identify opportunities for upselling or cross-selling additional services or products to existing clients, based on their needs and priorities.
- Monitor client satisfaction and retention rates, taking proactive measures to enhance client loyalty and mitigate churn.
- Stay updated on industry trends, competitor activities, and emerging technologies to provide valuable insights and recommendations to clients.
- Collaborate with the Sales team on contract renewals, negotiations, and extensions, ensuring a smooth transition and continued partnership.
- Provide regular reports and updates on client relationships, satisfaction levels, and feedback to the Director of Delivery, Client Services.
Essential Job Functions:
- Regularly and reliably attend scheduled virtual team meetings on camera.
- Work independently with minimal supervision.
- Use all required digital collaboration tools.
- Prioritize and self-manage workflows and deadlines.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Meet colleagues in our Customer, Talent, and Operational teams to begin your onboarding journey at Toptal.
In the first month, expect to:
- Gain a deep understanding of the client success management role and responsibilities.
- Familiarize yourself with Toptal’s client base, industry verticals, and service offerings.
- Establish relationships with key internal stakeholders and team members.
- Begin collaborating with clients to understand their goals and project requirements.
- Shadow experienced Client Success Managers to learn about their strategies and best practices.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Take ownership of client relationships and actively manage their success.
- Lead client kick-off meetings and project initiation processes.
- Collaborate with clients to define project scope, objectives, and timelines.
- Work closely with the Talent team to identify and onboard the right resources for client projects.
- Proactively address any client concerns or issues, ensuring their satisfaction and success.
- Provide strategic guidance and recommendations to clients based on their business objectives.
- Establish yourself as a trusted advisor and advocate for clients within Toptal.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Successfully deliver multiple client projects, ensuring high-quality outcomes and client satisfaction.
- Continuously monitor and evaluate project progress, making necessary adjustments to ensure project success.
- Identify opportunities for upselling or cross-selling additional Toptal services to existing clients.
- Collaborate with internal teams to resolve any client issues or escalations in a timely and effective manner.
- Foster strong, long-term relationships with clients, promoting client loyalty and retention.
In the first year, expect to:
- Have built a strong portfolio of successful client engagements and demonstrated measurable value to clients.
- Develop a deep understanding of the digital product development landscape and industry trends.
- Continuously refine and improve client success management strategies and processes.
- Actively contribute to the growth and expansion of Toptal’s client base.
- Mentor and support junior Client Success Managers, sharing your knowledge and expertise.
- Play a key role in driving the overall success and growth of Toptal’s client success function.
- Have established yourself as a trusted and influential leader within the Client Success team.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- 5+ years of experience working in an Account or Relationship Management role.
- 3+ years of experience in a software consulting or sales role.
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Experience working across the software project management life cycle – plan, initiate, elaborate, design, build, test, implement.
- Comprehensive ability to quickly understand client intent/needs and convert that intent into actionable material and detailed content in sales proposals or on client calls.
- Experience managing account portfolios.
- Strong team working skills and stakeholder management experience across geographically dispersed virtual teams.
- Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Exercise discretion and independent judgment.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Provide advice and support of the planning of long term and short term business objectives or initiatives.
- Regular or periodic travel to meet and engage with Toptal clients and customers.
- A strong knack for establishing and growing strong working relationships with clients and internal team members.
- Experience working with distributed teams, including the ability to work effectively as a remote member of a dynamic, distributed team with tight deadlines.
- Exceptional organizational and leadership skills.
- You must be self-motivated, quick-thinking, and able to thrive in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, rapidly growing company and handle a wide variety of challenges, deadlines, and a diverse array of contacts.
- Ability to travel outside of your geographic location, as may be required.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
US FLSA Classification: Full-Time/Exempt
The US-based salary range for this full-time position is $80,000 - $135,000 per year. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training.
This position is also eligible to receive a discretionary bonus.
Please note that the US-based salary range does not include the value of Toptal’s benefit offerings. In the US, Toptal’s benefit offerings include participation in a 401(k) retirement plan with employer matching contributions; medical, dental, and vision insurance plans in which Toptal pays 100% of the premiums for an employee’s coverage; basic life insurance coverage; short-term and long-term disability coverage; flexible spending accounts, including dependent care and health savings accounts, access to telehealth virtual doctors, an employee assistance program, and flexible paid time off.