Practice Director, Growth Marketing - US-Based Applicants
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote workforce.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
This is a remote position.
Toptal is a hypergrowth organization that is disrupting the global professional services and talent market. In response to our clients’ overwhelming demand for exceptional talent in new areas, we are expanding the breadth and depth of our Marketing Services offerings to further fuel that growth. As a Director for Toptal’s Growth Marketing Practice, you will be in a high-impact position to set the vision, own the P&L, develop the Go-to-Market strategy, and drive the growth of your practice. Your leadership and expertise will play a pivotal role in achieving growth objectives, establishing a formidable market presence, and ensuring your practice’s profitability and long-term success.
This leader will be a proven expert in Growth Marketing, with a deep understanding of cross-industry target buyers, their priorities, and the trends impacting them. The ideal candidate for this position will have served in a leadership role in a marketing agency or consultancy. Their extensive knowledge will inform critical business decisions, such as which services and offerings we build out, determining pricing and packaging strategies, and developing a compelling value position that ensures Toptal’s competitiveness in the evolving market. Their insights will be essential to meeting the market’s changing needs both now and in the future.
We are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
You will be responsible for building and scaling Toptal’s Growth Marketing practice. This includes:
- Strategy: Which clients/buyers do we target, and what problems do we help them solve.
- Offering Development: Develop attractive, scalable offerings that resonate with specific customer segments.
- Go-to-Market: Take services and offerings to market; first, by leading from the front to establish product-market fit with our clients, and then by working with our Practices Operations team to scale adoption and the commercial impact of offerings.
- Marketing: Develop thought leadership and campaigns that highlight our competitive differentiation, elevate our reputation in the market, attract great talent to our network, and generate leads for sales.
- Sales: Understand current/future demand and enable, educate, and directly support the sales force to position this practice best. Lead client conversations, presenting Toptal’s point-of-view and asking exploratory questions to understand client needs better.
- Talent: Ensure our talent network is prepared to meet the demands of the market (e.g., the right skills in the right capacities) as well as foster an ongoing sense of community amongst the network of professionals in this practice area.
- Delivery: Defining/executing “Toptal way” methodologies for key services/solutions.
This role is highly collaborative and will work extremely closely with Toptal’s Marketing, Sales, and Talent Operations teams to fulfill the above responsibilities.
The successful executive for this role has a demonstrated capability to:
- Lead in a highly collaborative way.
- Operate in a high-growth environment.
- Articulate a strategy grounded in an agile execution plan.
- Be comfortable with rolling up their sleeves to do the work, demonstrate traction, and build a team over time.
- Manage a P&L statement and proven track record for overseeing financial performance, identifying areas for improvement, and driving profitability and growth.
- Make data-informed decisions and define key metrics with which you’ll measure progress.
- Walk in the shoes of your audience in order to understand their problems, develop/execute an approach to solve them, and articulate the solution in a clear and compelling way.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal; meet your colleagues.
- Learn about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision, with a focus on the state of our industry, the Future of Work, and the core messages important to Toptal.
- Shadow critical teams throughout the organization to learn Toptal’s core operations and capabilities.
In the first month, expect to:
- Begin developing relationships with key leaders and stakeholders across the organization.
- Dive deeper into the operations of key teams (e.g., Sales, Talent Operations) across the company.
- Conduct a comprehensive review of the current demand in your practice area, the talent that exists already in the network, and any work we may already be doing/have done.
- Articulate a hypothesis about where you want to take the practice (strategy) and design experiments / build execution approaches to get there.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Be a well-integrated member of the organization with positive relationships in Sales (Enterprise/SMB), Marketing, and Talent Operations.
- Be in front of clients on a regular basis to hear from them firsthand.
- Build your practice and begin positively impacting revenue growth.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Be the go-to expert for your Practice within Toptal.
- Have established initial market traction.
- See a commercial impact from your involvement in early initiatives.
In the first year, expect to:
- Feel like you made the best decision of your career.
- Increase the growth rate of Toptal materially.
- 8+ years of experience in your practice area, preferably at least 5+ years both selling and delivering marketing services.
- 3+ years managing a business, preferably with P&L responsibility.
- Experience in growth marketing is crucial; this includes knowledge of multi-channel marketing campaigns, social media marketing, A/B testing, SEO, SEM, and content marketing.
- Strong understanding of data-driven marketing to create marketing strategies and make informed business decisions.
- Adept at working with a sales force to promote, position, and sell marketing services.
- Experience with marketing technology and automation, including familiarity with marketing platforms, CRMs, and other technologies.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required for this position.
- Track record of rapid career progression achieved by taking on challenging assignments and exceeding expectations.
- Experience packaging, pricing, and delivering compelling solutions.
- Refined relationship development & leadership skills with a track record of success in building credibility across all levels of an organization. You can develop positive relationships across the business to partner on key initiatives and gain consensus on processes and strategies.
- Confidence in your analysis abilities, with proven success in delivering results in ambiguous and sophisticated project efforts.
- Skilled in the art of communicating with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to take your work, but not yourself, too seriously.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
The US-based salary range for this full-time position is $180,000 - $270,000 per year. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training.
This position is also eligible to receive a discretionary bonus.
Please note that the US-based salary range does not include the value of Toptal’s benefit offerings. In the US, Toptal’s benefit offerings include participation in a 401(k) retirement plan with employer matching contributions; medical, dental, and vision insurance plans in which Toptal pays 100% of the premiums for an employee’s coverage; basic life insurance coverage; short-term and long-term disability coverage; flexible spending accounts, including dependent care and health savings accounts, access to telehealth virtual doctors, an employee assistance program, and flexible paid time off.