UX Researcher and UX/Visual Designer
Charleston, SC, United States
Member since February 22, 2016
Christine is a UX designer with an MFA in product design. She has 15 years of experience as a designer/researcher for companies including Lowe’s Home Improvement, The Hershey Company, and Dell. She specializes in health/wellness and data management products, and uses design thinking processes to discover user needs, define value and fit with proof-of-concepts and MVPs, and iteratively improve/redesign products through testing and experiments.
- Senior User Experience Manager2016 - PRESENTQuest Software (formerly Dell Software)
Technologies: Sketch, Adobe, InVision, Notable, UXPin, Frontify, Mural, Sketching (marker and paper), Slack, JIRA, Confluence, Trello, HubSpot, MailChimp, Zapier, Validately, Lookback
- Established and led the overall user research process across the information management business unit to inform product strategy and UX decisions. Oversaw the work of researchers and designers conducting their own research projects.
- Led the creative direction, including visual design, interaction patterns, illustrations, brand style, and copywriting for an eCommerce SaaS website redesign and created coherent branding across business unit products. Oversaw the work of writers and designers. Developed style guides when appropriate.
- Led the iterative testing and ongoing evaluation of product updates, new feature releases, and new products within design sprints (Agile). Used a variety of research methods to validate design assumptions and uncover new knowledge, including surveys, iterative usability testing (moderated and unmoderated), click testing, interviews, and card sorting/tree testing.
- Was promoted from a senior UX designer to principal UX designer after seven months (which is a fairly quick promotion for the company).
- Led the UX and visual design for a proof-of-concept redesign of the main business-unit website. Created the workflows, interaction patterns, and original illustrations.
- Designed the overall look/feel and interaction patterns (including the pattern library) for a new cloud-based database replication SaaS.
- Managed and led the research and product strategy (and validation) efforts for new products through market exploration and a user-centered design process.
- Redesigned the workflow for software downloads which increased conversion by 400% and resulted in the entire business unit exceeding year-over-year financial goals.
- Product Strategist and User Experience Consultant2016 - PRESENTChristine Esoldo Design
Technologies: InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch, HTML/CSS, InVision, Craft, Protowire, Zeplin, Notable, Helio, Lookback, UserInterviews.com, MailChimp, Realtime Board, Slack, Trello, Squarespace, WordPress, Google Drive
- Designed HIPPA-compliant communication app for the healthcare market.
- Redesigned the user interface, including the branding for a client management enterprise SaaS product.
- Created and implemented user research participant recruitment plan for a start-up to build an in-house database for the Agile design process. Grew the database to more than 600 qualified participants in less than three months time.
- Led creative direction, project planning, and research strategy for product validation for a shoe insert and corresponding mobile app that increases mobility and prevents falls for people suffering from Parkinson's or other health conditions that cause instability.
- Mentored students in the Springboard.com UX workshop as they went through the process of researching and designing an app or website. Helped students refine their portfolios and resumes in preparation for job hunting in the UX field.
- Led the UX and UI design for a responsive app for artists and performers; including the information architecture, a function for searching and browsing, profiles, and the booking/scheduling function.
- Created a running/lifestyle personal blog built on the Squarespace platform—designed the logo and brand identity, created original content (photography, graphics, and writing), and worked with brands via various sponsors and ambassadorships.
- Audited the UX and designed the user interface for a healthcare app for eye care providers and patients and developed recommendations for improvement.
- Designed the user interface improvements based on the audit.
- Manager, User Experience Research and Strategy2013 - 2015Benefitfocus
Technologies: InVision, Adobe, Sketch, Notable (Verify App), Optimal Workshop, SurveyMonkey
- Worked as the first UX researcher and strategist in the company—introducing and establishing qualitative discovery methods, iterative testing processes, and UX activities (sketch sessions, content audits, mind-mapping, and task flows).
- Reshaped the redesign of the benefits management product—this process became the new standard for the product design process across the company.
- Created a budget and headcount proposal and grew the UX research team by adding three team members (in a very budget conscious organization).
- Created a participant recruitment program that grew the participant pool from 0-to-400 participants. Conceptualized and launched the "Design Together" program, that's still being used today as the company's overall approach to UX and design.
- Led the research (competitive analysis and iterative design testing) and the information architecture for the redesign of the password recovery workflow that reduced the customer service call volume by 60%.
- Conducted workshops and presented at conferences on UX-related topics, establishing the company as a thought leader and UX innovator.
- UX Architect2012 - 2013Lowes Home Improvement
Technologies: OmniGraffle, Adobe, UserTesting, Tobii Eye Tracking, Coremetrics
- Was recognized by managers as a key performer in developing UX designs and content strategies based on user data and site analytics. As a result, I was selected to move into a newly created research team tasked with developing new standards and processes for insight-driven strategy and design.
- Increased category page engagement (clicks, conversions, and sales) by creating UX design standards and UI templates backed by research, including eye tracking, surveys, A/B and multivariate testing, and web stats analysis.
- Conducted extensive research and analysis on the homepage and developed an overall UX strategy for design, implementation, and A/B testing.
- Redesigned the credit pages/experience on the site based on usability testing, web stats, and experiments that led to increase in credit card sign up conversions.
- Redesigned the accessible home section of the site.
- Knowledge Management Specialist2011 - 2012The Hershey Company
Technologies: Adobe, Alfresco, Liferay
- Established and managed the process to migrate, optimize, and edit site content; designed user interfaces and overall site navigation.
- Created tasks and plans for usability testing during the Agile development cycle.
- Designed a user onboarding campaign to familiarize users with the site and generate interest.
- Director of Marketing and Communications2010 - 2011Synapse Marketing Solutions
- Changed and redirected the corporate marketing strategy from basic direct mail and email to a data-driven, robust content marketing strategy that included white papers, articles, social media, email marketing, and blog posts.
- Rebranded the company to support its change in business direction (logo, color palette, mission/vision/core values, and website).
- Gave creative direction and strategy for client brands and website builds.
- Directly managed a copywriter.
- Launched the company's social media marketing program and created social media guidelines.
- Creative Writer2007 - 2010Phoenix Contact
Technologies: Adobe, Listrak, Web Trends
- Led a cross-departmental team to launch a targeted email marketing program that increased conversions by more than 50%. I managed the entire campaign life cycle including scheduling, A/B testing, monitoring performances, reporting statistics, and recommending improvements.
- Built an internal project management application as the UX designer and content strategist on a Lean Six Sigma team—resulting in improved communication and productivity.
- Jumped in as a graphic designer during work overtime and designed emails, web pages, white papers, and online case studies.
- Redesigned the company website as an information architect.
- Created multiple ad campaigns that spanned across media (video, print, email, social, trade shows, and more).
- Marketing Communications Specialist2005 - 2007HVAC Distributors, Inc.
- Managed the website redesign project (as of 2007) including UX, content strategy, interaction design, information architecture, and visual design; created sketches, wireframes, and sitemap, and worked with a web developer in the implementation.
- Created the graphic designs for all marketing materials.
- Designed a dealer advertising program that streamlined the overall process and saved the client's money.
- Net Promoter Score Isn’t Enough: You Need User Research (Publication)Net Promoter Score is a consumer insight method to track customer loyalty, but it falls short in many ways. Applying various user research methods gives a more complete picture of the user experience.
- The Fundamental Guide to Mobile Usability (Publication)Mobile usability isn’t just about scaling a website or app to fit various devices. It’s about understanding how people use mobile devices and that the mobile experience is as unique as the user.
- Christine is a mentor in the Toptal Global Mentor’s Program. This program is a partnership between Toptal and General Assembly to provide high quality mentorship for students from minority and low income backgrounds who are looking to begin their careers as professional designers. Christine shows commitment to diversity in tech by mentoring a General Assembly student every week for a year, covering everything from design tips and tricks to advice on making it in the industry.
- Master of Fine Arts degree in Merchandising (eCommerce, Product Design, and Development)2008 - 2012Academy of Art University - San Francisco, CA, USA
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Journalism, Magazines (Graphic Design and Writing)2001 - 2003Temple University - Philadelphia, PA, USA