Design Editor, Toptal Design Blog
2017 - PRESENT
- Planned, wrote, and edited articles for the Toptal Design Blog.
- Collaborated with subject matter experts to improve and edit their articles.
Principal UX Designer | UX Research Lead and Creative Director
Quest Software (formerly Dell Software)
2016 - PRESENT
- Established and led the overall research process and program across the information management business unit to inform product strategy and UX decisions. Managed and led the research and product strategy (and validation) efforts for new products through market exploration and a user-centered design process. Oversaw the work of researchers and designers conducting their own research projects.
- Led the creative direction, including visual design, interaction patterns, illustrations, brand style, and copywriting for e-commerce SaaS website redesign, as well as database management SaaS products. Oversaw the work of writers and designers. Developed style guides as appropriate.
- Led the iterative testing and ongoing evaluation of product updates, new feature releases, and new products within design sprints (Agile). Used a variety of research methods to validate design assumptions and uncover new knowledge, including surveys, iterative usability testing (moderated and unmoderated), click testing, interviews, and card sorting/tree testing.
- Was promoted from a senior UX designer to principal UX designer after seven months (which is a fairly quick promotion for the company).
- Led the UX and visual design for a proof-of-concept redesign of the main business-unit website. Created the workflows, interaction patterns, and original illustrations.
- Designed the overall look/feel and interaction patterns (including the pattern library) for a new cloud-based database replication SaaS.
- Established the content strategy, copywriting, and editorial best practices, processes, and standards.
Technologies: Sketch, Adobe, InVision, Notable, UXPin, Frontify, Mural, RealtimeBoard, Sketching (marker and paper), Slack, Confluence, JIRA, Confluence, MailChimp, Zapier, Validately, Lookback
Product Strategist | User Experience Consultant
2016 - PRESENT
- Designed an HIPPA-compliant communication app for the healthcare market.
- Led the UX and UI design for a responsive app for artists and performers; including the information architecture, a function for searching and browsing, profiles, and the booking/scheduling function.
- Created a running/lifestyle personal blog built on the Squarespace platform—designed the logo and brand identity, created original content (photography, graphics, and writing), and worked with brands via various sponsors and ambassadorships.
- Created and implemented user research participant recruitment plan to build an in-house database for the Agile design process.
- Audited the UX and designed the user interface for a healthcare app for eye care providers and patients.
- Mentored students in the Springboard.com UX workshop as they went through the process of researching and designing an app or website. Helped students refine their portfolios and resumes in preparation for job hunting in the UX field.
- Redesigned the user interface, including the branding, for a client management app.
Technologies: InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch, HTML/CSS, InVision, UXPin, Notable, Bubble, Proto, Validately, Lookback, MailChimp, Acuity
Manager (User Experience Research and Strategy)
2013 - 2015
- Worked as the first UX researcher and strategist in the company—introducing and establishing qualitative discovery methods, iterative testing processes, and UX activities (sketch sessions, content audits, mind-mapping, and task flows).
- Reshaped the redesign of the benefits management product—this process became the new standard for the product design process across the company.
- Grew the research team by adding three team members (in a very budget conscious organization).
- Created a participant recruitment program that grew the participant pool from 0 to 400 participants. Conceptualized and launched the "Design Together" program, that's still being used today as the company's overall approach to UX and design.
- Led the research (competitive analysis and iterative design testing) and the information architecture for the redesign of the password recovery workflow that reduced the customer service call volume by 60%.
- Conducted workshops and presented at conferences on UX-related topics, establishing the company as a thought leader and UX innovator.
Technologies: InVision, Adobe, Sketch, Notable (Verify App), Optimal Workshop, SurveyMonkey
UX Researcher | Architect
Lowes Home Improvement (contract via a freelance agency)
2012 - 2013
- Recognized by managers as a key performer in developing UX designs and content strategies based on user data and site analytics. As a result, I was selected to move into a newly created research team tasked with developing new standards and processes for insight-driven strategy and design.
- Increased category page engagement (clicks, conversions, and sales) by creating UX design standards backed by research, including eye tracking, surveys, A/B and multivariate testing, and web stats analysis.
- Conducted extensive research and analysis on the homepage and developed an overall UX strategy for design, implementation, and A/B testing.
- Redesigned the credit pages/experience on the site based on usability testing, web stats, and experiments.
- Redesigned the accessible home section of the site.
Technologies: OmniGraffle, Adobe, UserTesting, Tobii Eye Tracking, Coremetrics
Knowledge Management Specialist
The Hershey Company (contract via a freelance agency)
2011 - 2012
- Established and managed the process for migrating, optimizing and editing site content, designing the user interfaces for the mega menu, and overall site navigation.
- Created tasks and plans for usability testing during the Agile development cycle.
- Created a user onboarding campaign to familiarize users with the site and generate interest.
- Designed a mega menu and made recommendations for the overall information architecture and navigational structure.
Technologies: Adobe, Alfresco, Liferay
Director of Marketing and Communications
Synapse Marketing Solutions
2010 - 2011
- Changed and redirected the corporate marketing strategy from basic direct mail and email to a data-driven, robust content marketing strategy that included white papers, articles, social media, email marketing, and blog posts.
- Rebranded the company to support its change in business direction (logo, color palette, mission/vision/core values, website).
- Gave creative direction and strategy for client brands and website builds.
- Directly managed a copywriter.
- Launched the company's social media marketing program and created social media guidelines.
2007 - 2010
- Led a cross-departmental team to launch a targeted email marketing program that increased conversions by more than 50%. I managed the entire campaign life cycle including scheduling, A/B testing, monitoring performances, reporting statistics, and recommending improvements.
- Built an internal project management application as the UX designer and content strategist on a Lean Six Sigma team—resulting in improved communication and productivity.
- Jumped in as a graphic designer during work overtime and designed emails, web pages, white papers, and online case studies.
- Redesigned the company website as an information architect.
- Created multiple ad campaigns that spanned across media (video, print, email, social, trade shows, and more).
Technologies: Adobe, Listrak, Web Trends
Marketing Communications Specialist
HVAC Distributors, Inc.
2005 - 2007
- Managed the website redesign project (as of 2007) including UX, content strategy, interaction design, information architecture, and visual design; created sketches, wireframes, and sitemap, and worked with a web developer in the implementation.
- Created the graphic designs for all marketing materials.
- Designed a dealer advertising program that streamlined the overall process and saved the client's money.