Principal UX Designer | UX Research Lead + Visual Design
Quest Software (formerly Dell Software)
2016 - PRESENT
- Established and led the overall research process and program across the information management business unit to inform product strategy and UX decisions. Managed and led the research and product strategy (and validation) efforts for new products through market exploration and a user-centered design process.
- Led the iterative testing and ongoing evaluation of product updates, new feature releases, and new products within design sprints (Agile). Used a variety of research methods to validate design assumptions and uncover new knowledge, including surveys, iterative usability testing (moderated and unmoderated), click testing, interviews, and card sorting/tree testing.
- Created interaction patterns, user interface designs, illustrations, and visual designs/branding for new products. Developed style guides as appropriate.
- Led product rebranding process while transitioning from the old Dell brand to the new Quest brand. Worked as creative director and visual design lead during the rebrand process and as branding consultant post-redesign for product teams with branding issues or questions. Developed the style guide and UI patterns to guide branding.
- Was promoted from a senior UX designer to principal UX designer after 7 months (which is a fairly quick promotion for the company).
Technologies: Sketch, Adobe, InVision, Notable, UXPin, Frontify, Mural, RealtimeBoard, Sketching (marker and paper), Slack, Confluence, Jira, Trello
UX Freelancer | Consultant
2016 - PRESENT
- Designed a HIPPA-compliant communication app for the healthcare market.
- Led UX and UI design for a responsive app for artists and performers; including the information architecture, the design for search and browse, and the booking functionality.
- Mentored UX students via Springboard.
- Created a running/lifestyle personal blog built on the Squarespace platform—designed the logo and brand identity, created original content (photography, graphics and writing), and worked with brands via various sponsors and ambassadorships.
Technologies: InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch, HTML/CSS, InVision, UXPin, Notable
Manager (User Experience Research & Strategy)
2013 - 2015
- Worked as the first UX researcher and strategist in the company—introduced, and established qualitative discovery methods, iterative testing processes, and UX activities (sketch sessions, content audits, mind-mapping, and task flows).
- Reshaped the redesign of the benefit management product—this process became the new standard for the product design process across the company.
- Grew the research team by adding 3 team members (in a very budget conscious organization).
- Created a participant recruitment program that grew the participant pool from 0 to 400 participants. Conceptualized and launched the "Design Together" program, that's still being used today as the company's overall approach to UX and design.
- Led the research (competitive analysis + iterative design testing) and the information architecture for the redesign of the password recovery workflow that reduced the customer service call volume by 60%.
- Conducted workshops and presented at conferences on UX-related topics, establishing the company as a thought leader and UX innovator.
Technologies: InVision, Adobe, Sketch, Notable (Verify App), Optimal Workshop, Survey Monkey
UX Researcher | Architect
Lowes Home Improvement (Contract via Ettain Group)
2012 - 2013
- Recognized by managers as a key performer in developing UX designs and content strategies based on user data and site analytics. As a result, I was selected to move into a newly created research team tasked with developing new standards and processes for insight-driven strategy and design.
- Increased category page engagement (clicks, conversions, and sales) by creating UX design standards backed by research, including eye tracking, surveys, A/B and multivariate testing, and web stats analysis.
- Conducted extensive research and analysis on the homepage and developed an overall UX strategy for design, implementation, and A/B testing.
- Redesigned the credit pages/experience on the site based on usability testing, web stats, and experiments.
- Redesigned the accessible home section of the site.
Technologies: OmniGraffle, Adobe, UserTesting, Tobii Eye Tracking, CoreMetrics
Knowledge Management Specialist
The Hershey Company (Contract via System One)
2011 - 2012
- Established and managed the process for migrating, optimizing and editing site content, designing the user interfaces for the mega menu, and overall site navigation.
- Created tasks and plans for usability testing during the Agile development cycle.
- Created a user onboarding campaign to familiarize users with the site and generate interest.
- Designed a mega menu and made recommendations for the overall information architecture and navigational structure.
Technologies: Adobe, Alfresco, Liferay
Director of Marketing and Communications
Synapse Marketing Solutions
2010 - 2011
- Changed and redirected the corporate marketing strategy from basic direct mail and email to a data-driven, robust content marketing strategy that included white papers, articles, social media, e-mail marketing, and blog posts.
- Rebranded the company to support its change in business direction (logo, color palette, mission/vision/core values, website).
- Gave creative direction and strategy for client brands and website builds.
- Directly managed a copywriter.
- Launched the company's social media marketing program and created social media guidelines.
Marketing Communications Specialist
HVAC Distributors, Inc.
2005 - 2007
- Managed the website redesign project (as of 2007) including UX, content strategy, interaction design, information architecture, and visual design; created sketches, wireframes and site map, and worked with a web developer in the implementation.
- Created the graphic designs for all marketing materials.
- Designed a dealer advertising program that streamlined the overall process and saved the client's money.