Verified Expert in Design
Phil is a passionate designer with more than 12 years of experience in UI/UX and mobile interface design. Like a Swiss Army knife, through various positions, he has developed a set of proficiencies to successfully handle product design and product management in any capacity. He believes that transparency, good communication, and a great user experience are vital in making successful products—a philosophy that is borne out in his work—designing gorgeous and easy-to-use apps that delight millions.
- Designed several mobile products that transform creativity, including Lightricks' award-winning apps like Facetune, Enlight Photofox, Enlight Videoleap, Enlight Quickshot, and Enlight Pixaloop, used by tens of millions of mobile creators.
- Created and managed a division-wide design system spanning multiple products and platforms.
- Led design efforts on the web payments team, from research to design of payment pages and landing microsites, including Facetune 2's landing page, and helped increase conversion and revenue.
- Worked closely with the Facetune team to redesign the Facetune app used by 200 million+ people.
Co-founder | Head of Design
- Designed and built the front end of a SaaS targeted at 911 call centers, law enforcement, EMS, and fire agencies that reshaped citizen connections for public safety.
- Partnered with Union County PD and 9-1-1 in NJ to introduce a new era of community engagement for public safety. The NJ department sees a 40% response rate for post-incident surveys vs. less than 5% before, thanks to our innovative solution.
- Designed and built the front end of many innovative features, like surveys, automated rules, and communication tools. These tools include text, email, video calls, and chatbots. I also built features like analytics, an internal mobile app, and more.
- Contributed to the success of the solution. After partnering with 50+ paying customers, ranging from police departments to 911 call centers, and incurring over $1 million in ARR. CueHit has been acquired by NEOGOV.
Lead Product Designer
- Spearheaded the research and design of the List on eBay integration, which resulted in a partnership between Snupps and eBay and raised eBay's C2C KPIs beyond expectations.
- Redefined the main product to ensure the best experience possible across all supported platforms: iOS, Android, and web. The Snupps app has been featured by both Apple and Google on App Store and Google Play.
- Conducted user testing sessions to discover usability issues and gather feedback to improve the product.
- Identified and prioritized product development tasks based on the end value for both the user and the business itself.
- Helped reshape the product in a critical transition from a private inventory organizer to a social platform for the customers to discover, share, and socialize around their interests.
- Created complex interactive prototypes to test out the possible solutions and communicated and specified designed interactions to the development team.
- Led the group brainstorming sessions to identify possible product development opportunities. Performed user data analysis and research to support the user-centered iterative product design and development.
- Pitched ideas and product improvements to stakeholders. Worked closely with co-founders to define and design their feature proposals.
- Worked closely with engineering on technical analysis to further understand constraints and ensure that the solutions were as efficient as possible, maintainable, and future-proof while keeping the UX up to high standards and solving user problems.
- Ensured flawless delivery of the design spec, documentation, and assets to the development team and participated in the ongoing development support and testing.
Freelance Lead Product Designer
- Designed Halligan: a SaaS which enables first responders to comply with DEA regulations, perform checks and keep track of trucks, equipment, and inventory. Worked closely with the founders, engineers and core customers to deliver the greatest value to the consumer at the lowest cost to the business. Helped identify and define a highly competitive feature set in order to make the product into an incredibly attractive solution to many businesses despite the existence of many mature and resourceful competitors. Responsibilities include maintaining a design system and specification of the product for different levels of account permissions and white-labeled variations—all across the web, iOS, and Android. Halligan has been acquired by Vector Solutions in January 2019.
- Designed the UI/UX for the Wait app (2015) which helps users decide which restaurant, bar, or coffee shop to go to by informing them of wait estimates in the area. Utilized market research and potential user interviews. Identified essential features and simplified the user interface; this allowed users to achieve their goals in an amazingly short amount of time and delighted them along the way. The biggest challenge was to deal with the constraints of the MVP and deliver the best user experience possible to verify the market fit and allow users to seamlessly view wait times for venues around them, seamlessly add waiting times, and to share the wait times with other users.
- Worked closely with the Kakaxi CEO to form the idea into the Kakaxi product that is essentially a nexus between farmers and the consumers they feed. Kakaxi (Japanese for a scarecrow) enables consumers to tap into local farms through the app, providing them with data, photos, and time-lapse video about the food they eat. In addition, Kakaxi allows consumers to share photos and recipes of the dishes they have made using the ingredients that they have received from the farmers. Kakaxi bridges the gap between food and information, empowering consumers and producers through better farm-to-fork transparency.
- Designed both the iOS and Android versions of the Shopcade (2013) product from the ground-up and redefined the overall visual language of the product while taking business goals and constraints in mind. Completely rebooted the iOS app with the new iOS 7 language in mind and focus on the user experience. It was a critical phase where previously they had been dependent on an outside agency to build their iOS App, but decided to move this in-house for various reasons.
- Brainstormed and problem-solved, along with the Postr founder, this app where it was insanely easy and delightful for the users to create and share posters by allowing them to select from plenty of presets or to create their own from scratch. Defined and designed the main product—Postr iOS app—from scratch; including delightful animations, typography presets, and the design of the poster templates.
Lead Mobile Product Designer
- Worked closely with the Chess.com co-founder to redefine the iOS app interface.
- Cleaned up and redesigned the UI style based on user feedback and user interaction data. Established and applied consistent visual style across the whole product.
- Collaborated with the head of UX to ensure great user experience and consistency across the supplementary platforms (web and Android).
- Created various marketing materials to help promote the product across multiple platforms.
- Designed the iOS app, which is currently the highest-rated chess app with around 2,300 5-star reviews and over 10 million users worldwide.
Lead Product Designer
Etosi Development, Inc.
- Worked on various social, discovery, and transactional products for restaurants and foodies.
- Designed the wireframes based on the stakeholders' core vision and user feedback.
- Established a unique and appealing UI design that followed the platform conventions and patterns so that the product is easily recognizable, obvious, and familiar to the end-user.
- Created and pitched interactive prototypes of the proposed solutions to the main stakeholders. This process was critical to clearly communicate the designs.
- Collaborated closely with a group of talented developers to ensure clarity of the delivered spec and efficient implementation of the end design.