Verified Expert in Finance
Arjun has executed nearly 30 debt, equity, M&A, and capital raising transactions worth over $2 billion, across the developed and emerging markets. He has worked at leading investment firms (Houlihan Lokey, BlackRock), and at several startups, both as a co-founder and in other leadership roles. Arjun enjoys freelancing as it allows him to use his diverse transactional and operational experience to help companies achieve their growth potential.
- Advised startups and mid-size companies in the financial services, fintech, and technology industries on initiatives that included planning, forecasting and budgeting, investment strategy, fundraising, sales growth, and profitability enhancements.
- Served as interim CFO for a fintech startup during its seed round with responsibilities including fundraising, FP&A, and implementing financial processes, helping the company to secure $400,000 from angel investors.
- Acted as the part-time CFO for a U.S.-based fintech lender during its debt raise, with responsibilities including fundraising, pitch deck preparation, and FP&A. Helped secure term sheets for debt financing.
- Launched and grew AppHub from zero to $30+ million in revenue and 200+ people in less than two years. It was driven by M&A and new product growth.
- Raised $200+ million of equity and debt capital from private equity and other institutional investors.
- Oversaw finance, customer success, operations, HR, marketing, and strategy.
- Closed nine acquisitions of eCommerce SaaS and other software companies.
- Advised about a tech-enabled farmland investment platform, playing a key role in capital markets strategy and development.
- Developed the company's capital markets roadmap, investor pitch deck, and other marketing materials.
- Spearheaded the launch of a $50-to-$100-million open-end fund vehicle that will make farmland investments in the US. Oversaw investor outreach, facilitating due diligence and other aspects of the process.
Entrepreneur in Residence
- Recruited into the Entrepreneur-in-Residence program for the world's first platform innovation company.
- Advised C-suite executives of Fortune 100 firms and multibillion-dollar companies on building and scaling platform businesses.
- Led feasibility studies, market research, financial modeling, and client presentations to make recommendations to key stakeholders.
Director of Capital Markets
- Led the capital raising efforts for a Vietnam-focused P2P lending platform as it looks to raise its first institutional credit facility and growth equity capital.
- Updated the financial model and business plan to incorporate new funding initiatives and growth plans. Led and facilitated investor outreach, due diligence, structuring, and negotiations.
- Sourced term sheets for $5-$10 million of debt financing from credit funds. Set up a structure that can scale to $50-$100 million in the next two years. Actively engaged in due diligence with investors.
- Made regular recommendations on business strategy, growth initiatives, and profitability. Conducted an extensive profitability-and-unit-economic analysis to determine core customer segments to target.
VP of Finance and Operations
- Led finance and operations for a B2B marketplace that connects real estate operators to turnkey furnishing solutions. The company was acquired by Aaron's Company (NYSE: AAN) in 2020.
- Oversaw a company's financial and operating activities, including monthly reporting, working capital management, procurement, and logistics.
- Revamped the financial model for internal decision-making and external fundraising efforts.
- Oversaw the collection effort for nearly $1 million of accounts receivable and restructured vendor payables, enhancing the company's cash position by nearly $500,000.
- Led the company's COVID-19 response effort, including streamlining expenses and operational inefficiencies and securing a critical PPP loan to extend the runway.
- Served as part of the senior management team and regularly weighed in on company strategy and other critical decisions.
Co-founder | Chief Investment Officer
- Launched and scaled a fintech credit platform focused on alternative lending opportunities in emerging markets (primarily Africa and South East Asia), opening up a new asset class for investors.
- Led the investment team (eight FTEs), overseeing all aspects of investment strategy, origination, credit, and risk management.
- Structured and raised over $40 million in asset-backed lending programs from credit funds, family offices, and impact investors. Structured a closed-end fund vehicle with a target size of $100 million.
- Deployed over $40 million to non-bank lending platforms in emerging markets, primarily via debt instruments such as senior secured credit facilities, term loans, and whole loan purchase agreements.
- Managed the portfolio post-investment to deliver 14% IRR during my tenure.
- Helped, alongside CEO, raise over $7 million in seed and Series A financings from notable VC funds.
- Led strategy and finance projects, including the development of financial projections, analysis of unit economics and overall profitability, etc., recommending changes to the Board regularly.
- Led numerous M&A and other investment transactions. Oversaw all aspects of deal execution, including financial analysis, due diligence, structuring, negotiations, and documentation.
- Oversaw the firm's inorganic fintech strategy, sourcing and executing transactions with fintech companies across marketplace lending, robo-advisory, payments, and electronic trading.
- Promoted to vice president on the fast track (<5% of employees at the firm).
- Made recommendations to C-level executives on various corporate finance and strategic initiatives, including stock buybacks, capital structure, business expansion, and new product/market entry.
- Advised middle-market and Fortune 500 companies on M&A, private placements, and debt restructuring transactions.
- Created valuation models, information memoranda, and legal documentation and oversaw the entire transaction execution process, including investor outreach, due diligence, and final negotiations.
- Served as the lead analyst on a $65 million merger of two medical device companies, a $210 million debt restructuring of a cutting-edge laser business, and a private placement transaction for a publicly listed BDC.
- Created valuation opinions for a variety of situations, including M&A deals, collateral value assessments, and business reorganizations.
Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering
University of Pennsylvania - Philadelphia, PA, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Finance
University of Pennsylvania - Philadelphia, PA, USA