Verified Expert in Finance
Jim has managed investments for one of Canada's largest venture firms, founded and successfully exited a large entertainment software company, and has sat on more than 20 private, public, and non-profit boards. He is a 20-year corporate finance veteran and fractional CFO who is passionate about helping companies get to the next level by improving their operations, assisting with debt and equity capital raises, and executing M&A transactions.
Director for Risk Management
- Developed a high-risk technology lending program within the bank.
- Built up the bank's expertise in risk management and underwriting technology borrowers.
- Created and managed a detailed monitoring program to ensure continuous tracking of all the borrowers' operational results to manage risk in the lending program.
- Served as a fractional CFO for many clients—stepping into situations wherein entrepreneurs needed trusted advice when their existing team had entered uncharted waters. Worked in varied industries, including entertainment, education, software (especially SaaS), oil and gas, and industrial products.
- Assisted in the financing of small and medium-sized companies, including sourcing and negotiating debt and equity investments, successfully raising $10+ million of new capital.
- Provided data science analyses for various clients in the entertainment, gaming, and SaaS industries with a focus in the area of customer modeling (customer lifetime value, churn analysis, and revenue cohort modeling) using R and Python.
- Developed detailed Excel-based financial models for numerous clients to assist with cash flow planning and to determine required financing levels.
- Reviewed key deal terms on multiple purchase and sale agreements, including the negotiation of asset purchase agreements for a $190+ million reverse takeover of a publicly traded firm, a go-private transaction, and a public company debt restructuring.
Chief Data Scientist
Espresso Capital Partners
- Built financial models for an extensive private loan portfolio using an Excel-based Monte Carlo analysis of potential outcomes for the general partner.
- Led the development of a next-generation underwriting process and trained the underwriting team on the new methodology.
- Built tracking processes and software in Python and Django for monthly reporting of more than 40 portfolio companies.
- Designed and built the credit scoring architecture for a loan portfolio, including real-time risk analysis features, in Python and R.
- Served as the lead underwriter for the loan portfolio, managing diligence, deal structuring, and investment committee presentations.
Bedlam Games, Inc.
- Raised $3.5 million in venture capital for the management buyout of a 40-person entertainment software company from its publisher parent.
- Served as CFO and managed human resources, operations, and financial planning while working with the sales team to develop budgets and pricing strategy.
- Managed successful filing for refundable tax credits, generating $3+ million in tax relief across multiple years.
- Directed the sales process for the business, including leading the deal negotiations that led to a successful transaction.
- Managed banking relationships with both asset-backed and charter bank lenders.
Vice President, Investments
- Managed high-technology investments from the cradle to the grave, including sourcing, term sheet negotiation, deal management, portfolio company oversight, and the disposition of investment stakes.
- Identified, negotiated, and executed $44+ million in debt and equity placements in private and public companies using a variety of transaction structures.
- Served as the board member or observer for 15 portfolio companies.
- Managed a top-performing Canadian venture capital fund that ranked in the top quartile for returns.
- Served as managing partner with a predecessor fund that was purchased by Covington, and was the only member of the original team asked to continue with the management of the fund post-transaction.
Equity Research Analyst
- Conducted equity research on publicly traded technology companies for institutional equity clients. The coverage universe included companies from the semiconductor, consumer electronics, contract manufacturing, consumer hardware, and enterprise software industries.
- Provided support to the investment banking division, giving guidance on technology IPOs and M&A mandates.
- Developed a global strategy for linking previously separate technology teams across Asia, North America, and Europe.
- Wrote several widely-read research publications covering developments in the technology space.
Bachelor of Laws (LLB) Degree in Law
Osgoode Hall Law School - Ontario, Canada
Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration
Wilfrid Laurier University - Ontario, Canada
Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)