Director for Risk Management2021 - PRESENTRoynat Capital
Focus areas: Credit Risk, Commercial Banking, Finance, Microsoft Excel
- Developed a high-risk technology lending program within the bank.
- Built up the bank's expertise in risk management and underwriting technology borrowers.
- Created and managed a detailed monitoring program to ensure continuous tracking of all the borrowers' operational results to manage risk in the lending program.
Managing Director2011 - PRESENTLaird Research
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Cash Flow Forecasting, Revenue Optimization, SaaS, Data Science, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Budgeting, Accounting, Investment Consulting, Investments, Microsoft Excel
- Served as a fractional CFO for many clients—stepping into situations wherein entrepreneurs needed trusted advice when their existing team had entered uncharted waters. Worked in varied industries, including entertainment, education, software (especially SaaS), oil and gas, and industrial products.
- Assisted in the financing of small and medium-sized companies, including sourcing and negotiating debt and equity investments, successfully raising $10+ million of new capital.
- Provided data science analyses for various clients in the entertainment, gaming, and SaaS industries with a focus in the area of customer modeling (customer lifetime value, churn analysis, and revenue cohort modeling) using R and Python.
- Developed detailed Excel-based financial models for numerous clients to assist with cash flow planning and to determine required financing levels.
- Reviewed key deal terms on multiple purchase and sale agreements, including the negotiation of asset purchase agreements for a $190+ million reverse takeover of a publicly traded firm, a go-private transaction, and a public company debt restructuring.
Chief Data Scientist2013 - 2021Espresso Capital Partners
Focus areas: Modeling, Budgeting, Forecasting, Cost Reduction & Optimization, Due Diligence, Statistical Analysis, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Equity Investment, Investment Consulting, Investments, Investment Committee Advisory, Financial Modeling, Microsoft Excel
- Built financial models for an extensive private loan portfolio using an Excel-based Monte Carlo analysis of potential outcomes for the general partner.
- Led the development of a next-generation underwriting process and trained the underwriting team on the new methodology.
- Built tracking processes and software in Python and Django for monthly reporting of more than 40 portfolio companies.
- Designed and built the credit scoring architecture for a loan portfolio, including real-time risk analysis features, in Python and R.
- Served as the lead underwriter for the loan portfolio, managing diligence, deal structuring, and investment committee presentations.
CFO2007 - 2011Bedlam Games, Inc.
Focus areas: Capital Raising, Capital Budgeting, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Microsoft Excel
- Raised $3.5 million in venture capital for the management buyout of a 40-person entertainment software company from its publisher parent.
- Served as CFO and managed human resources, operations, and financial planning while working with the sales team to develop budgets and pricing strategy.
- Managed successful filing for refundable tax credits, generating $3+ million in tax relief across multiple years.
- Directed the sales process for the business, including leading the deal negotiations that led to a successful transaction.
- Managed banking relationships with both asset-backed and charter bank lenders.
Vice President, Investments2001 - 2007Covington Capital
Focus areas: Board of Directors, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Early-stage Venture Capital, Equity Investment, Investment Consulting, Investments, Investment Committee Advisory, Financial Modeling, Microsoft Excel
- Managed high-technology investments from the cradle to the grave, including sourcing, term sheet negotiation, deal management, portfolio company oversight, and the disposition of investment stakes.
- Identified, negotiated, and executed $44+ million in debt and equity placements in private and public companies using a variety of transaction structures.
- Served as the board member or observer for 15 portfolio companies.
- Managed a top-performing Canadian venture capital fund that ranked in the top quartile for returns.
- Served as managing partner with a predecessor fund that was purchased by Covington, and was the only member of the original team asked to continue with the management of the fund post-transaction.
Equity Research Analyst1998 - 2001HSBC Securities
Focus areas: Equity Research, Investment Consulting, Investments, Financial Modeling, Microsoft Excel
- Conducted equity research on publicly traded technology companies for institutional equity clients. The coverage universe included companies from the semiconductor, consumer electronics, contract manufacturing, consumer hardware, and enterprise software industries.
- Provided support to the investment banking division, giving guidance on technology IPOs and M&A mandates.
- Developed a global strategy for linking previously separate technology teams across Asia, North America, and Europe.
- Wrote several widely-read research publications covering developments in the technology space.