Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Member since June 12, 2018
Nirvikar has helped raise $20+ billion of capital and built lines of business as an experienced CEO, banker, and strategist at ICICI, Citi, Bank of America, and FAB. An entrepreneur, Nirvikar is an active board member for startup companies, advising on strategic initiatives and capital raising. As a freelancer, he enjoys leveraging his background as an entrepreneur and executive to drive profitable growth at companies from various industries.
- Chief Executive Officer, India2012 - 2018First Abu Dhabi Bank - PJSC
Focus areas: Capital Raising, Credit/Debt, Corporate Finance, Trade Finance, Foreign Exchange (FX) Hedging, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Debt Restructuring, Bank Debt Raises
- Established FAB as a successful wholesale bank in India, ranking eighth overall in the 2017 Indian US$ loan league table.
- Devised focused client and product selection strategy, optimized risk-adjusted returns across the asset portfolio, and created a rapid credit approval customer process to increase loan volume to build FAB India into one of the bank's most profitable global branches. The Indian operations generated millions of dollars in revenue and profit, growing the loan book from zero to $5+ billion in six years while raising $15+ billion in total capital for its clients.
- Built a robust Indian business platform, establishing strong relationships in corporate finance and advisory and creating cross-sell capabilities across product lines including loans and syndication, debt capital markets (DCM), foreign exchange, interest rates, currencies, commodities, and trade finance.
- Established an FPI account for the FAB treasury team to expand their access to local Indian onshore INR bonds. This FPI account enabled FAB to close two high-yield transactions including the first Asia-Pacific commodity hedging deal for the bank with a major Indian steel company.
- Managed the merger integration between FGB and NBAD that resulted in the creation of FAB, ensuring continuity in business and establishing a long-term strategic plan and implementation roadmap. Led the executive committee in charge of managing a complex integration, ensuring alignment across the team.
- Built and managed a high-quality credit portfolio with a low number of non-performing assets that had loss rates of less than 1% and loss given default rates of 9-15%. Directed all portfolio restructuring efforts with other banks, monitored the financial health and managed executive level relationships of financially distressed companies to drive successful outcomes.
- Developed the India-specific operating strategy; prepared business, revenue, and implementation plans; built the team; led new client relationship development; managed overall risk and credit; and directed operations, compliance, and governance per the central bank rules.
- Partnered with global banks on marquee deals that were $500+ million with clients including Reliance, Vedanta, Tata Group, and Birla Group.
- Won the first Asia-Pacific corporate bond mandate for the Indian branch in 2017.
- Chairman and Founding Director2015 - 2017UAE India Business Council
Focus areas: Bilateral trade and investment facilitation between India and UAE, Trade Finance, Strategic Investments
- Led the creation of UAE India Business Council (UIBC), serving as the Chairman and Founding Director charged with working with both the UAE Embassy and other UAE companies in India.
- Built the UIBC organization hiring a Director General and team to run the office, supporting the creation of the operating budget, defining fundraising options, and setting up the organizational infrastructure as well as other governance and compliance requirements.
- Directed the daily activities of UIBC as an executive committee member, helping to establish the short-term and long-term plans; managing newsletter distributions, industry events, and meetings with government officials; and conducting regular reviews to ensure the group was tracking to the financial plan.
- Led meetings between delegations of companies operating in the India-UAE corridor and senior Indian government officials to communicate critical business issues including seat allocation frameworks for airlines, port operations, and investment delays due to government inaction.
- Board Member and Angel Investor2015 - 2016Entropy Innovations
Focus areas: Capital Structure, Business Plan Development, Revenue Modeling, Valuation, Marketing and Sales
- Invested in a startup and represented investors on the Board of Directors for a company that built an innovative machine that automated the cleaning of bikes in an engineered box with low water consumption and high cleaning quality.
- Guided the management team in crafting the growth strategy, helping establish a low-cost marketing strategy that led to the doubling of stores and revenues over a six month period. Conducted monthly reviews of the variance to plan to identify additional areas to generate increased revenue.
- Assessed the company's business and revenue model, the proposed valuation, and the potential exit opportunities during investment due diligence.
- Exited the company profitably generating double-digit a IRR.
- Director of Trade, India2011 - 2012National Australia Bank
Focus areas: Trade Finance, Transaction Structuring, Credit Risk, Business Plan Development, Revenue Modeling, Pricing Strategy
- Developed a country strategy for the trade business that aligned with the overall Indian banking strategy.
- Developed a trade finance book of $800 million, establishing relationships with large companies operating in the India-Australia corridor including Tata Steel, Reliance, and JSW Steel in only six months, earning the bank annualized revenues of $8+ million.
- Oversaw day-to-day operations and executed the overall mandate for the Indian branch as a member of the executive committee as well as other leadership committees including the risk and asset and liability committees.
- Created detailed India trade finance product approval notes for basic and advanced financial products. Worked with the operations team to ensure that the right systems and processes were in place to ensure efficient product delivery to clients.
- Founder and Investor2011 - 2011Bungalowstays.com
Focus areas: Business Plan Development, Revenue Modeling, Cash Flow Forecasting, team building
- Conceptualized and launched an Indian vacation rental marketplace. Developed a business plan allowing homeowners to monetize their homes, building a revenue model, incorporating the company, hiring a team and launching the company in less than three months.
- Led the technology team and the end-to-end execution of the technology and platform build.
- Led the marketing efforts leveraging email, SMS, social media, and search channels in addition to more traditional offline mediums.
- Vice President, Trade and Supply Chain Solutions2007 - 2011Bank of America Merrill Lynch
Focus areas: Trade Finance, Transaction Structuring
- Led team responsible for driving transaction banking sales across India. Achieved financial results that exceeded targets by 10%, built client relationships, developed innovative trade finance solutions and worked with teams to ensure sales pipeline monitoring and execution.
- Originated and structured transactions with Reliance, Tata, AV Birla, and JSW Steel, focusing on large ticket structured trade transactions. Built a structured trade finance book of $1.5+ billion, generating a revenue of $4.5 million.
- Accelerated the growth of trade business, expanding its share of total global transaction services revenue from less than 20% to over 60% in just four years.
- Vice President, Structured Trade and Commodity Finance2005 - 2007Citibank
Focus areas: Commodity Financing, Trade Syndication, Structured Trade Finance , Working Capital Management, Debtor & Creditor Management, Credit Risk
- Led the Citibank India initiative to establish structured trade, commodity finance, and trade syndication businesses in India. Developed detailed product programs for three business lines that included a detailed business plan; market size estimates; financial results and forecasts; risk, legal, regulatory assessments; detailed operational processes; and an implementation plan. Worked across organizational departments to create alignment and receive approvals for each program.
- Structured and executed trade finance deals worth $2+ billion for marquee clients including Reliance and Suzlon, working with a 70+ person coverage and product sales team that achieved revenues of $25+ million.
- Developed the Indian trade syndication market, organizing educational conference and seminars that promoted the product to Indian banks. Successfully syndicated $140 million of trade loans in 2006, contributing to 10%+ of global trade syndication volumes.
- Built relationships with banks in Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, and Kuwait to facilitate the sale of Indian and Asian origination deals, helping develop a new market for selling structured trade transactions originated by the Asia Pacific operations.
- Chief Manager, Corporate Banking Group2002 - 2005ICICI Bank
Focus areas: Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Risk Models, Cash Flow Modeling, Project Finance, Money Market, Capital Raising, Foreign Exchange (FX) Hedging, Corporate Finance, FX Hedging
- Managed corporate relationships comprising annual revenue of $7 million. Led relationships with 30+ clients including top government-owned companies such as NTPC, Power Grid, REC, and PFC, multinational companies including GSK, Coca-Cola, and Pepsi, and Indian corporations such as Dabur, International Tractors, and Claridge’s Hotels, achieving 100% of targeted yearly revenue in just seven months.
- Created and managed an asset portfolio of over Rs 4.0 billion (~$90 million) and exceeded income target of INR 40.0 million ($900,000) in 2004, focusing on 20 active clients in the food and agribusiness sector.
- Structured and concluded one of the first commodity finance transactions for ICICI bank in 2003.
- Built a commodity finance book of $100+ million over two years, funding soybean, cotton, barley and skimmed milk powder using warehouse receipt financing.
- Consultant2001 - 2002James Martin & Co.
Focus areas: Consultancy focused on using IT as a Strategic Tool
- Participated in strategic and business planning issues, creating a profitable Indian operation.
- Evaluated partnerships and products for developing consultancy and implementation practices with iBilt Technologies, a partner organization offering core technical IT hardware and software solutions.
- Led teams engaging in comprehensive market research, focusing on CRM, supply chain management, e-procurement as well as marketplaces and the automotive industry.
- Business Development Manager2000 - 2001Esconet Services Limited
Focus areas: Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), DCF Valuation, Strategic Investments, Revenue Modeling, Business Plan Development, Business Development
- Worked with the CEO of an eCommerce, digital media, and online marketplace provider on corporate strategy and the identification and evaluation of potential alliances and partnerships.
- Evaluated business models, conducted business and financial planning, revenue modeling, and provided project management to the group's various subsidiaries.
- Created the business plan, revenue model, and discounted cash flow valuation model for AutomatrixIndia.com, an automotive marketplace joint venture with i2 Technologies.
- Created a comprehensive discounted cash flow valuation for the holding company, consolidating subsidiary financial performance and providing a holistic view of expected financial performance and valuation.
- Marketing and Market Planning Executive1996 - 1999Suzuki Motors India (Maruti Udyog Limited)
Focus areas: Forecasting, Market Research, Market Opportunity Analysis, Route to Market, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Capital Budgeting
- Led extensive market research and competitor analysis, providing inputs on all new car models as well as any existing model modifications. Conceptualized and initiated structured market research activity with agencies including ORG-Marg, IMRB, and Gallup. The research results provided inputs that drove the go-forward new product planning efforts of Maruti.
- Initiated and carried out a study of the Indian car market using "Conjoint Analysis," providing a framework that shaped Maruti’s product strategy for the next decade.
- Authored the five-year new product introduction strategy incorporating proprietary research, demand forecasting, capital budgeting, price sensitivity analysis, and competitor market mapping.
- Identified the emergence of the internet and its role in global business, conceptualizing and initiating the development of Maruti’s first customer website.
- Fintech Valuation Methods for Money Transfer Disruptors (Publication)Valuation of private fintech startups is a step-by-step process that requires a holistic assessment of macro industrial factors and micro assumptions about the startup's future prospects. Learn how to value fintech companies in a practical step-by-step manner with this working example for payments unicorn Transferwise.
- How to Value a Fintech Startup (Publication)Compared to traditional financial services businesses, fintech startups require different valuation approaches. This article explores these differences and the best practices to apply when appraising a fintech investment.
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree in Finance and Marketing1994 - 1996XLRI Jamshedpur - Jamshedpur, India
- Bachelor's degree in Chemistry1990 - 1993Delhi University - New Delhi, India
- The Data Science Course 2019: Complete Data Science BootcampFEBRUARY 2019 - PRESENTUDEMY
- Digital Transformation: Platform Strategies for SuccessJULY 2018 - PRESENTMIT Management: Executive Education (Online Course)
- Digital Strategies for Business: Leading the Next Generation EnterpriseJULY 2018 - PRESENTColumbia Business School: Executive Education (Online Course)