Eden Prairie, MN, United States
Member since June 26, 2017
In his 17 years of finance experience, Patrick has been an investor, board member, executive, banker, and entrepreneur (co-founded five businesses in finance, healthcare, and natural resource development). He joined Toptal to provide executive-level expertise between two board commitments. Patrick is highly visible in the business community and excels at using his network to provide executives with access to capital, clients, and partners.
- President | CEO2015 - PRESENTHill Capital Corporation
Focus areas: Fundraising, Finance Strategy, Late-stage Funding, CFO, Pro Forma Financial Statements, Integrated Financial Statements
- Built a financial model and budget for the creation of a middle market growth capital fund.
- Presented to executives and boards of key partners—helping them make a decision to launch the fund.
- Secured seed funding from seven founding investors, including the Hill namesake, the James J. Hill Center.
- Recruited board members, including the CFO of one of the largest global asset managers (retired).
- Authored and made filings with the SEC and state securities agencies.
- Developed and executed retail and institutional fundraising; included more than 150 public meetings with 3,000+ people and over 50 meetings with institutional investors.
- Continued to support institutional fundraising by identifying, contacting, and meeting with investors.
- Co-Founder | Board Member2010 - PRESENTInspiration Medical Technology, Inc.
Focus areas: CFO, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Finance Strategy, Startup Funding, Corporate Finance, Market Research, Market Opportunity Analysis
- Co-founded the company with a successful healthcare sales and marketing business partner.
- Recruited board members and investors.
- Negotiated and executed a licensing agreement for a key product.
- Established the company's business plan and financial projections.
- Developed the company's corporate records, accounting system, and payroll.
- Built sales and marketing with a 1099 sales force, online presence, SEO (including a direct mentor at Google), social media marketing, and eCommerce store (including a successful Amazon store).
- Supported the company as a board member and with oversight of financial reporting; continuing to be one of the company’s larger shareholders.
- Managing Director2003 - 2009Northland Securities, Inc.
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Finance Strategy, Corporate Finance, Investment Banking, IPOs, Secondaries, PIPEs, Valuations, Fairness Opinion Reports
- Led over $30 million of financings in 2007 as the sole underwriter. The total transactional experience exceeded $200 million.
- Held senior positions as the director of research and senior analyst covering companies (medtech, consumer, and telecom) and overseeing the research on a growing universe of 50 public companies.
- Opened the first institutional equity accounts with over 30 clients in the first 24 months of establishing the firm’s sell-side research product.
- Quoted in major business publications such as Businessweek.
- Conducted management discussions and deal due diligence on over 50 companies.
- Completed valuations and financial modeling for private and public companies, including fairness opinions.
- Incubated Northland Directions, an asset-management arm of Northland Securities. Served as Governor of the Northland Directions Equity Fund from 2007 to 2009.
- Maintained direct communications with global asset managers, CEOs, CFOs, and board members.
- Originated Northland’s Equity Capital Markets practice including creating the research product, processes, and hiring the first team.
- How to Build and Utilize a High-Impact Advisory Board (Publication)Advisory boards are undoubtedly controversial. While many articles sing their praises, others condemn them as mere headshots in pitch decks. The truth is that advisory boards are usually not silver bullets. Still, they can be powerful tools and yield strong ROI—if executed properly. This article includes an overview of advisory boards, their economics, when they can and should be used, and a step-by-step guide to building one.
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) in Finance, Economics, Statistics, Valuations, Financial Statement Analysis2001 - 2003CFA Institute - Charlottesville, VA, USA
- Bachelor's degree in Finance1995 - 1999Creighton University - Omaha, NE, USA