Verified Expert in Finance
Over the last 15 years, Theresa has defined and implemented financial and operational strategies as a CFO for multiple companies in the technology, healthcare, and business services industries. She has built functions from the ground up at startups and redesigned current ones at mid-sized organizations. In freelancing, Theresa is excited to continue supporting companies seeking growth options and/or higher valuations for potential future exits.
- Led IPO Readiness, including managing outsourced service providers.
- Drafted Form S-4 and Common Draft Terms (Europe), including MD&A, financial disclosures, and risk factors.
- Developed investment policy strategy, and ESG framework, prepared Board and Audit Committee decks and built financial infrastructure.
American Nurses Association
- Built a highly effective cross-functional team to analyze and recommend a new merchant processor to support a 200,000-member base.
- Solved a broken Payroll process by leading HR/Finance team members in mapping out business processes using RACI methodology to break down silos and create efficiencies and automation.
- Created sustainable improvements to data and workflow to solve Audit report deficiencies.
- Presented monthly financial reports to three separate boards within ANA.
- Established a new legal identity and tax status for US operations across eight states and created and implemented a project plan for a new subsidiary structure in Netsuite.
- Collaborated on detailed service and resource sharing agreements for interim support of Chinese operations post-spin-off. Created and documented new methodologies to equitably allocate costs across two divisions.
- Led systems optimization and integration of three siloed enterprise platforms to streamline operations, drive efficiency, and provide organization-wide financial reporting.
- Managed US and China Audit, Tax, and Form 990 processes. Implemented new budgeting and a monthly close process, reducing close to eight days from 21.
- Built a three-year pro forma financial model to support $30 million in Series C fundraising efforts.
- Constructed a 2019 budget along with budget review process for department head accountability; also presented the budget to the board of directors for final approval.
- Managed investor due diligence, completing all requests for additional financial and operational data; provide insights and recommendations on investor term sheets.
- Performed a value-added analysis and metrics on risk and opportunities to overcome obstacles to long-term growth.
- Managed and provided oversight on the complexities of contracts and other legal and governance matters.
- Collaborated with sales and the CTO on developing new pricing models and strategies for internal and well as partner-implementation projects.
Anita Borg Institute
- Revised budgeting process to add more rigor and accountability.; analyzed monthly financial performance and delivered a financial report to the board and management.
- Revised financial planning session instilling more discipline in driving formative work that addressed the need of the organization's beneficiaries while diversifying the funding strategy.
- Completed companywide market rate compensation analysis and recommendations resulting in annualized compensation increase of $535,000; revised format and timing of employee performance reviews.
- Collaborated cross-functionally on reviewing and finalizing large vendor and 1099 agreements; worked with outside counsel to revise and deliver various India operating agreements.
- Worked as a member of the Netsuite and Adaptive Solutions implementation team; provided an analysis of the HRIS business requirements and vendor selection.
- Led the implementation of the new general ledger, the accounts receivable, the customer relationship management, and the payroll/benefits platforms to enhance efficiency and functionality.
- Established new workflows/procedures for billing/collections, HR compliance strategy, financial reporting, and independent contractor agreements.
- Prepared and provided data and analytics as well as monthly financial results to management/board to facilitate decisions.
- Spearheaded a new finance and HR organizational structure to generate greater productivity.
- Implemented risk management strategies.
- Developed an analytical framework to identify, prioritize, and structure domestic/international strategic priorities.
- Implemented budgeting and cash management processes as well as operating metrics dashboard to manage operations more efficiently; revised revenue recognition standard for SaaS operations.
- Collaborated with the sales team to develop and implement an order-to-cash process.
- Led the operational excellence eliminating $300,000 in SG&A in the first four months through organizational restructuring and cost reductions.
- Spearheaded a $6 million carve out of a legacy product for a large strategic buyer.
- Prepared a $30 million company for a sale transaction; developed and wrote the offering memorandum, target buyers, and executed the sale transaction.
- Provided a strategy assessment for a food company with 14 retail locations and a wholesale operation, built 2-year financial projections for each division based on revenue growth recommendations and cost-saving initiatives to enhance profitability.
- Provided a financial analysis, built three-year financial projections and created a presentation in preparation for capital raise for $15 million division of a large consumer packaged goods manufacturer.
- Developed financial strategies for early-stage clean tech company to improve cash flow, rationalize expense structure, and implement operational best practices to enhance scale and sustainability.
- Developed, analyzed, and recommended strategic and financial viability of a new, sustainable business model in the $1 billion medical technology market, resulting in a $100 million M&A transaction.
- Created thefinancial planning, budgeting, and reporting processes from the ground up.
- Restructured the payroll and benefits—achieving $300,000 in annual savings.
- Performed business process mapping around billing and collections to improve profitability and reduce $1 million in accounts receivable by 50% in 6 months.
- Acted as interim CFO for this $10 million revenue healthcare services company—improved EBITDA from a slight loss to over $1 million in 12 months.
- Reorganized the chart of accounts and created a profit-&-loss statement by class. This brought to light that the New York office was burning cash monthly and subsequently led to the recommendation to close the NY office.
Executive Program Manager
- Identified the population of alternative assets to be remedied (12,100 unique securities in 35,000 accounts).
- Defined the strategy to address each possible outcome for the security holder including keeping the asset under a revised policy, transferring asset to partner custodian, and distributing asset to client.
- Managed a team of senior-level executives responsible for execution of strategy, including Chief Legal Officer, Chief Compliance Officer, VP Asset Management Operations, SVP Retail Assets, SVP Institutional Assets, VP Field Integration, and Director Alternative Asset Product Management.
- Implemented business process mapping software platform to track, measure, and report on process steps including document review, security review, security registration, account status, exit review, and security re-registration or transfer execution .
VP, Strategy and Corporate Finance
- Led finance and other cross-functional leaders in development and execution of strategic/financial initiatives to leverage current technology assets and drive innovative new products and services.
- Analyzed industry, customer, competitive, and financial information to provide thought leadership and influence in support of new strategic initiatives and M&A transactions.
- Originated, executed, and integrated $165 million in domestic/international M&A transactions.
- Developed alliance/partner management strategies and channels—executed 6 alliances with well over $30 million in new revenue.
Certificate in Strategic Negotiations, Leading Change, and Organizational Renewal
Harvard Business School Executive Education - Cambridge, MA, USA
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) in Finance
CFA Institute - Charlottesville, VA, USA
Master's Degree in Business Administration
San Francisco State University - San Francisco, CA, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Psychology
Virginia Commonwealth University - Richmond, VA, USA
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)
Chartered Financial Analyst Institute