Verified Expert in Engineering
Game Development Developer
Ahmed has been a generalist game developer since 2012. He has worked on gameplay, shaders, artificial intelligence, full-stack, and performance at companies such as Gameloft, Forgotten Mines, and an Egyptian startup. He enjoys development as much as learning new technologies and algorithms.
Unity3D, C#, C++, Windows
The most amazing...
...gameplay features I've created was a ML-based combat system implemented in Bain's Redemption, a 3D slashing/shooting game.
Software Engineer II
- Improved the AI behavior tree tool for Frostbite engine customers by adding new features, proposing improvements, and keeping documentation up to date.
- Handled customer requests from different timezones through dedicated channels, creating tickets, resolving bugs, and reporting to them.
- Refactored the code to remove code duplication and continuous integration on the main branch.
Senior Game Programmer
- Worked on gameplay, AI, and shaders for Modern Combat: Rogue League.
- Re-engineered 75+ classes to implement objects pool to eliminate micro-freezes.
- Reduced memory leaks from 100+ MB per level to 0 MB.
- Developed a goal-oriented planning AI system to replace state-machine-based logic.
- Collaborated closely with producers, animations, and sounds to implement different gameplay features.
- Collaborated with QA and data tracking teams to implement data tracking in the game.
- Developed various shaders like LUT, aiming, and character highlighting.
Senior Unity Developer
Freelance on Toptal
- Defined and updated MVP plan regularly (five sprints plan).
- Created a layer over house generation asset to extend the functionality to control individual rooms/floors/buildings.
- Developed one-to-many Dijkstra-based piping system.
Senior Unity Developer
Freelance on Toptal
- Ported the project to Android and reduced build size to less than 100 MB (40% size reduction).
- Integrated Amazon's Polly and created a tool to generated audio files from lesson files.
- Updated game's text-to-speech from runtime to cached files system.
Unity Developer (Remote)
- Integrated Gameroom and Steam authentication in the game.
- Kept the game up to date with the latest SDKs from SendGrid, Facebook, and Steam.
- Designed and implemented invitations and rewards system (full-stack development using Azure).
- Implemented the following shaders: Planetarium ocean, clouds, and lava.
- Worked on various client-side features.
- Completed code reviews and peer-to-peer reviews.
Unity Lead Programmer
- Designed and fully implemented nine Unity3D projects (3/2D apps/games) and helped to ship another two.
- Developed a Kinect v2 Avateering wrapper used in five projects and a Kinect Framework used in four projects.
- Explained to potential investors how to monetize existing projects.
- Handled communications with freelance 3D artists to cope with project requirements.
- Managed the hiring process and ramping up for two junior developers and introduced them to existing projects.
- Conducted code reviews for fellow developers.
- Worked with iOS, Android, and back-end developers to deliver RoboApp, a cross-platform native application building system.
UE4 Developer (Remote)
- Created a 3D multi-layered platforming demo.
- Handled the technical side including repo setup, introducing team members to version control, and how to organize assets and animations.
C++ Game Programmer (Remote)
Modern Entertainment HQ
- Developed reinforcement learning-based AI that could adapt to any player style in less than five battles.
- Developed multi-tier behavior trees that integrated with ML-based AI.
- Enhanced engine memory consumption during load by ~75%.
- Developed multi-scene editing feature to our engine.
- Developed mini-map shader.
Machine Learning and Multi-tier Behavior Tree Code Snippet
Also, it allows you to create scenes, prefabs, add sounds, among other features.
Unity3D, Unity, Microsoft Kinect, Photon, Unreal Engine 4, OpenNI, Photon Unity Networking (PUN)
TensorFlow, OpenGL ES, Managed Extensibility Framework (MEF), DirectX 11, Sockets, REST APIs
Subversion (SVN), Git, Amazon Polly, SendGrid, Perforce, Jira, Confluence
Unity3D GUI Development, Games, Game Development, Game Tools Development, 2D Games, 3D Games, Freelancing, Unity3D AI, Unity3D Pathfinding, Augmented Reality (AR), Virtual Reality (VR), Shaders, Processing & Threading, Linear Algebra, Algorithms, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Reinforcement Learning, Machine Learning, Multiplayer, Unity Game Assets, Facebook, CryENGINE 3, Unity Editor Scripting
Firebase, Windows, Steam, Universal Windows Platform (UWP), Azure, iOS, Android
Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science and Bioinformatics
Ain Shams University - Cairo, Egypt