Quality Assurance Developer
Bernd has over two decades of experience as an IT consultant working in QA management, project management, software testing, software architecture, and system engineering in SW integration tasks. He has a solid grasp of how systems work, especially Linux, Windows, client servers, databases, and SQL. Bernd specializes in telecommunications such as CRM, billing, and mobile services. He's also a polyglot—speaking English, German, and Spanish.
ExperienceLinux - 20 yearsUnix - 10 yearsProject Planning - 10 yearsTesting - 8 yearsVisual Studio - 5 yearsITIL V3 Foundation Certified - 5 yearsE2E Testing - 4 yearsQuality Auditing - 3 years
The most amazing...
...thing I've implemented was the IBAN bank transfer numbers in all the business enterprise services of a transnational telecommunication provider in Germany.
Technical Consultant IT-QA | SW Support, Implementation, Testing, and Operation
- Supported the migration and upgrade of a US postal service with the SOAP API and LAMP servers. Added new features with C++ and PHP programming and testing.
- Upgraded the LAMP server versions of PHP, MySQL, Apache Web Server, and adapted applications. Installed and configured Nagios monitoring systems.
- Migrated databases and performed unit, integration, and regression testing.
- Upgraded several web services with Drupal, Magento CRM/eCommerce, and regression testing.
- Fixed bugs within the LAMP servers with integration testing. Several of these bug-fixing projects were caused by hackers.
- Improved the service security, hardened the system defenses, and tested them.
- Performed manual and automated testing of a web trading platform with TestComplete for a European pharmaceutical company.
- Implemented manual testing of an AWS-hosted medical risk management tool with mobile and desktop access for health industries. I also performed RESTful API testing with Postman/Newman and JMeter.
- Implemented test processes for an EU pharmaceutical company. Created requirement specs and developed test plans. Selected and integrated testing tools (SmartBear, TestComplete) in Jira-Zephyr. Built automated smoke tests in several AWS environments.
- Performed QA processes created for an international startup company (blockchain data). Implemented Rest API testing with Postman and Newman (JS). Conducted performance testing with JMeter.
Senior Technical Consultant
- Acted as a quality acceptance manager BSS (QA) for the client Vodafone (onsite). Managed the external test factory, test team in India, all the while cooperating with another international consultancy firm; also managed the release upgrade and outsourcing projects.
- Led the formal acceptance processes in the areas of provisioning, billing- and customer care-systems, cross-domain integration test coordination, and the IT service transition referring ITIL v3.
- Analyzed test plans, fulfilled business- and technical requirements, and developed use cases for UAT tests.
- Planned the software releases and solution designs; was responsible for huge test environments, data migrations, data anonymization, and SW documentation.
- Supported business customers' technical teams.
- Integrated multiple BSS (enterprise) services and extensions; this was part of major projects of the customer Vodafone which required a high level of management attention.
- Performed defect management and technical project management.
- Oversaw the requirement engineering in the areas of provisioning, billing, and customer care systems.
- Analyzed operational requirements and test requirements.
- Documented the solution and solution design and reviewed the requirements and product specification.
- Analyzed operational processes, created operational manuals, and planned the process.
- Implemented and tested IBAN bank transfer processes in all the business services for the client Vodafone. IBAN Bank numbers were a legal requirement of EU government and it had a major impact on the company.
- Handled the outsourcing of test services and development processes to newly acquired teams in Bangalore, India.
- Gained significant experience in cross-cultural communication and management.
- Acted as an onsite acceptance test manager for BSS software in the European mobile telecom industry for the client Vodafone.
- Managed the new software releases of multiple BSS systems for customer care and billing areas; web-based services using JBoss, Tomcat, and Oracle.
- Designed test plans, managed test teams, acted as the QA of central system components in customer care and billing areas.
- Developed, based on business requirements, the use cases for the user acceptance test, UAT.
- Managed the quality assurance projects.
- Documented, reported, and trained project and operational teams.
Implementation Manager | Test Manager
- Managed the deployment of a mobile device management system project.
- Implemented and tested the extensions of services with multiple language user interfaces for the above management system project.
- Implemented mobile device configuration software.
- Performed the system testing of the JBoss based multi-server web architecture, interface tests, integration tests, performance tests, and documentation.
- Found and managed the defects found in a Java, JBoss, Unix, and Oracle environment.
- Managed projects and instigated changes in the management of software enhancements.
- Conducted training of the operations teams.
Deployment Manager, Mobile Device Management System
- Installed, integrated, and deployed mobile device management services.
- Conducted integration tests (SOAP API).
- Planned and documented installations.
- Tested mobile devices.
- Found and managed defects.
ATOS Origin GmbH
- Created test concepts.
- Handled test executions.
- Researched and wrote reports.
Project Manager, Network Engineering
Sunrise Communications AG (Switzerland)
- Managed the implementation of a localization service of mobile devices after emergency call 112, referring to European regulations.
- Acted as a location services expert, managed the project, and led the contact with the Swiss regulator BAKOM. Together with other Swiss experts and in cooperation with BAKOM, conducted a feasibility analysis, solution specification, vendor selection, and vendor management.
- Managed the project, designed the solution, tested, and managed the tests concerning the implementation of a new configuration service for mobile devices.
- Handled the project management and solution design of a location-based billing project to offer a home tariff for mobile customers that would substitute landline phones.
- Designed the solutions, managed the projects, and tested many replacement projects. A notable few were the replacement of a prepaid IVR (interactive voice response) and the migration of IVR refill payment services.
- Consolidated several exiting IN systems (intelligent network system, mobile and fixed) with a new next-generation IN.
- Replaced the prepaid system and migrated the service to the new IN system; introduced Camel 2 and performed testing.
Testing of the New IBAN Bank Transfer Processes
Mobile Telecommunication Service Home-Based Billing
Due to my expertise in mobile location services, I acted as the technical project manager and led the contact for the Swiss regulator BAKOM. Together with other Swiss experts and in cooperation with BAKOM, I conducted a feasibility analysis, worked on the solution specifications, and selected and managed vendors.
Management of Outsourced Test Services
JSON API, REST APIs, Selenium WebDriver, WebDriver, Node.js, Chai
Manual Testing, Scrum, DevOps, Functional Testing, PRINCE2, E2E Testing, Testing, Automated Testing, Test Automation, Continuous Integration (CI), Continuous Delivery (CD), Automation, Service-oriented Architecture (SOA), Agile Software Development
Visual Studio 2017, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Linux, Windows, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Unix, LAMP, Solaris, Oracle, JBoss, Mobile, Red Hat Linux, Android, Symbian, Docker
XML-RPC, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle RDBMS, HP NonStop SQL, MongoDB
Regression Testing, Test Planning, Test Cases, QA Automation, Agile Sprints, Manual Software Testing, QA Testing, QA Test Plan Management, QA Leadership, Manual QA, Black Box Testing, Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC), Test Case Creation, Test Case Execution, Test Case Development, Software QA, Regression, Integration Testing, Web Service Testing, Writing & Editing, Communication, Bug Triage, Project Planning, Quality Auditing, ITIL V3 Foundation Certified, Quality Assurance (QA), Exploratory Testing, Git Repo, Test Automation Frameworks, Website Testing, Performance Testing, eCommerce, Enterprise Integration, Linux Servers, IT Business Analysis, Billing, Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), BSS, Sales, Mobile Device Management (MDM), Web Services, Microsoft 365, User Experience (UX), GSM, Networks, Alcatel, Electrical Engineering, Mobile App Testing, SOAP, API Testing, Projects, Agile Software Testing
Selenium, Cypress, .NET, Windows PowerShell, Qt
Certification in PRINCE2 Project Management
The APM Group Ltd - Germany
Certification in ITIL v3 - Foundation (Information Technology Infrastructure Library)
The APMG Group Ltd - Germany
Diplom Ingenieur (Engineer's Degree) in Electrical Engineering and Communications Technology
Hochschule Niederrhein, University of Applied Sciences - Krefeld, Germany