Carlos J. Gil Bellosta
Verified Expert in Engineering
Data Scientist and AI Developer
Carlos has 17 years of experience in data science in domains such as IoT, financial risk, credit scoring, churn analysis, biotechnology, and eCommerce. His international industry experience is backed by completing all courses toward a PhD in statistics and a master's and bachelor's degree in math. In addition to being an active contributor to the ecosystem of R packages, Carlos shares his expertise by giving talks and teaching data science at universities and business schools.
Linux, R, Python, Scikit-learn, Statistics, Bayesian Statistics, SQL, Data Science, RStudio Shiny, Forecasting
The most amazing...
...project I've developed involved creating the statistical engines behind lab data analysis workflows for a leading medical equipment manufacturer.
- Created models to track and estimate flu, heat waves, and COVID-related deaths for the Spanish Ministry of Health.
- Developed a system to optimize eCommerce campaigns, thereby minimizing customer impacts while maintaining an expected level of profitability.
- Created a system to analyze customer flow in physical retail stores, which has been implemented in several big-name merchants with hundreds of stores in Spain.
- Developed a churn analysis tool for a major security systems company in Spain.
- Taught master's level courses in R and statistics in several universities (IE, EOI, UC3M, Complutense University of Madrid, and UNIR) and business schools (EAE and KSchool) in Spain, Peru, and Costa Rica.
- Gave talks about machine learning, statistics, and big data in Spain, Colombia, Costa Rica, and Peru.
- Developed models to predict product sales at a large dairy producer and a stock management and production optimization system.
- Created tools and models to measure and improve keyword performance in Google Ads.
- Developed tools and models to measure and improve the performance of keywords, ads, and targets for eCommercers on the Amazon platform.
- Created tools and models to optimize the stock on Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) for sellers on the platform.
Senior Data Scientist
- Developed tools to monitor the performance and engagement of new customers to the platform.
- Created models to classify visits to the platform according to their browsing behavior, using novel techniques borrowed from natural language processing theory.
- Played a key role in developing a company-wide platform to automate A/B testing and generate homogeneous campaign performance measures for all stakeholders.
- Created tools to improve the performance of marketing campaigns.
- Developed and maintained tools to detect fraud and illegitimate behavior of users in the platform.
- Participated in a large-scale ETL project in a major Spanish bank as part of the performance optimization team.
- Developed the statistical engine for several laboratory data analysis workflows for a leading manufacturer of medical equipment.
- Played a key role in the creation and first projects of one of the leading data analysis and data science working groups in Spain within BBVA, the global financial services group.
- Assisted in the development of the R community in Spain, becoming the co-founder and serving as the first president of the association of Spanish R users.
- Created a pioneering model, using the network of transactions among SMEs to predict their credit risk.
Everis Spain, S.L.U
- Developed part of the internal analysis code for a financial risk management tool sold to several international banks.
- Introduced modern code development standards for my team.
- Created models for financial risk, especially credit risk for mortgages.
- Implemented a SAS-based tool for Basel II compliance at Krung Thai Bank (KTB) in Thailand while serving as the main technical expert.
- Implemented a SAS-based tool for Basel II compliance at Barclays Bank, London, as a member of a team of technical experts.
- Provided technical support in the implementation of SAS risk management tools in several banks in Croatia, Belgium, and Pakistan.
Bank of Spain (via Soluziona)
- Maintained the SAS-based technological infrastructure in the bank supervision department at the Bank of Spain.
- Improved the performance of the SAS code in the bank supervision department at the Bank of Spain.
- Provided SAS support to several SAS projects within the Bank of Spain.
- Provided technical support in the sales process for SAS-related risk management products.
- Developed models to assess the market risk of diverse portfolios, including financial and real assets in energy firms.
- Beta tested products for risk management during early development within SAS.
HR Dashboard for a Global Consultancy Company
Optimization of Email Marketing Campaigns
COVID-19 Mortality Model in Spain
R, Python, SQL, Snowflake, SAS
RStudio Shiny, Spark
Scikit-learn, Caret, XGBoost, Pandas
Data Science, ETL, Linear Programming
Linux, Windows, H20, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), OpenStack, Kubernetes
Databases, JSON, Teradata
Statistics, Bayesian Statistics, Programming, Time Series, Machine Learning, A/B Testing, Forecasting, Data Analysis, Data Engineering, Time Series Analysis, Data Analytics, Recommendation Systems, eCommerce, Natural Language Processing (NLP), Email Marketing, Finance, GPT, Generative Pre-trained Transformers (GPT), Epidemiology, Risk Models, Risk, Market Risk, Credit Risk, Biostatistics, Fraud Prevention
Completed Ph.D. Coursework (ABD Status) in Statistics
Washington University in St. Louis - St. Louis, MO, USA
Master's Degree in Mathematics
Washington University in St. Louis - Saint Louis, MO, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Mathematics
University of Zaragoza - Zaragoza, Spain
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring