Verified Expert in Engineering
Data Visualization Developer
Charles is an expert in the R and R Shiny programming languages. He is specialized in building Shiny apps from scratch, optimizing them, and deploying them on servers at scale. The apps are elegantly designed, reliable, and fast to ensure the users can dig into the data easily. Charles is a great asset to have in your team with a proven capability to work independently and in teams, mentor co-workers or clients, and communicate with both technical and non-technical audiences.
The most amazing...
...project I've worked on is a complex multi-page R Shiny app with a custom web design and tons of data visualizations like maps, timelines, and interactive forms.
- Optimized a massive Shiny app to make it fluid and fast.
- Integrated a custom web design to personalize the appearance of the app.
Machine Learning Researcher
- Reviewed the scientific literature around existing models for analyzing and classifying text documents.
- Analyzed the needs in data to automatize the existing solution with Machine Learning to prevent manual labor.
- Developed a Machine Learning model to automatically extract the most important features from a text document.
- Trained professionals in R, Python, statistics, and machine learning.
- Created online video courses in R, Python, deep learning, and artificial intelligence.
- Enrolled more than 10,000 paying students on a platform.
- Mentored students who were studying to become data analysts in OpenClassrooms.
- Created an interactive dashboard to visualize and track data on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.
- Set up a system to improve detection of misqualified customers.
- Self-hosted the dashboard as a web app on a remote server.
- Deployed predictive models to anticipate the workload in radiology studies.
- Created an interactive dashboard to visualize and track data on a daily basis.
- Set up a system to show discrepancies between planned resources and predicted demand.
- Created a Shiny app for a research project in decision theory.
- Optimized the app for conferences (short burst of users).
- Added features such as account management, data entry, and visualization of probability distributions.
- Deployed an updating system to make my client autonomous.
- Deployed a Git server to easily clone the app for different uses.
Research Assistant in Statistics and R
- Wrote text-mining algorithms.
- Built topic models on UN resolution drafts.
- Scored speeches of the UN General Assembly.
- Classified EU Directorate-General based on legislative proposals.
- Web scraped parliamentary questions of the Danish parliament, Bundestag documents, speeches of the UN General Assembly, and record details from the United Nations Digital Library.
Developer (R, Shiny)
- Created and maintained a robust and user-friendly R Shiny app for a pricing strategy in retail during sales periods.
- Enabled merchandisers to make scoring simulations.
- Integrated Excel-like tables for easy manipulation of data.
- Optimized the app to scale it to dozens of concurrent users.
Research Assistant in Statistics
- Implemented data analysis in a research laboratory for dermatology.
- Wrote a descriptive analysis and multiple regression for a study on Vitiligo disease.
- Implemented a statistical validation of a burden score on hand eczema disease.
- Worked on a statistical study on relapse and impact on the adult acne productivity.
- Set up a user-acquisition profitable strategy for a SaaS company.
- Developed predictive models for RTB (Real-Time Bidding) channel.
- Built predictive LTV models for new and existing users.
- Created interactive dashboards in R Shiny to track KPIs.
- Established indicators to improve fraud detection from affiliates.
- Created interactive dashboards in Shiny.
- Built user-friendly desktop apps with Tcl/Tk.
- Performed Weibull analysis for quality control.
- Created interactive visualization tools to follow KPIs.
- Automated recurrent tasks with R scripts.
PhD Student in Statistics (not completed)
- Published academic papers.
- Gave talks at conferences.
- Mentored others in statistics.
- Worked as a teaching assistant in statistics and R.
- Consulted with graduate students concerning their statistics work.
Freelance Work Showcase
Types of work
• Educational articles in data science
• Case studies articles of my previous projects
• Technical articles on R and Python
It supports both English and French.
The client hired me to improve the already existing app and make it look professional by speeding it up, improving the design with the help of a designer, and adding many new data visualizations involving maps, timelines, custom tables, and multi-screen forms.
Examples of before/after follow.
Tidyverse, Ggplot2, NumPy
Git, Dplyr, LaTeX, Shell, Plotly, NGINX, GitLab, DataTables, Jenkins, Jira, Docker Compose, GitLab CI/CD, Bitbucket
Data Science, Agile
RStudio, Linux, Amazon EC2, Docker, Ubuntu, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Statistics, Data Analysis, Data Visualization, APIs, System Administration, Machine Learning
PhD (Not Completed) Degree in Statistics
Université Laval - Québec, Canada
Master's Degree in Statistics
Université de Strasbourg - Strasbourg, Alsace, France