Developer | Architect2019 - PRESENTFreelance
Technologies: C#, .NET Core, SQL Server 2019
- Architected and developed an IoT platform with a dashboard solution for a revolutionary new offshore drilling system for Royal IHC and TI Geosciences deployed from exploration vessels. The proof of concept platform has been deployed and handed over.
- Architected and developed three internal systems, including Oracle for CRM and commission forecasting, Hindsight for project management and asset curve and cost analysis database, and ENSCES, an engineering project estimation and costing tool.
- Commissioned by Aqua Consultants and Bizen Limited on a joint venture to develop an industrial IoT device to communicate with Modbus devices onsite at water treatment plants, collect and average telemetry data, and upload data to Azure Cloud via 4G.
Lead Developer | Technical Architect2014 - 2019Nissan UK
Technologies: C#, SQL Server 2016, WebSphere MQ, Modbus Protocol, Windows Workflow Foundation, ASP.NET MVC 5, .NET 4, APIs, T-SQL, Angular, Service-oriented Architecture (SOA), SOAP, IIS, Windows Server 2016, IIS 10
- Designed and developed core system now responsible for managing, processing, and distributing body build and vehicle production tracking data from Nissan Europe mainframe to engineering, third-party vendors, and vehicle production systems.
- Developed a system that was handling 124,000+ inbound messages per day with sub-second (average 50-120 milliseconds) processing times and 380,000+ outbound messages per day over various network protocols.
- Developed a system that handles production critical data non-stop during 24/6 production hours from eight PM Sunday evenings until 11 PM Friday nights, plus any Saturday daytime production overtime.
- Built a system that was passing data in real time with other critical supply chain and just-in-time manufacturing processing and tracking systems in the UK, Europe, and Japan.
Developer | Architect2013 - 2014Northumbrian Water
Technologies: C#, SQL Server 2012, Windows Server 2012, .NET 4, IIS 8, Service-oriented Architecture (SOA)
- Architected and designed an engineering job estimating and costing system (iMODLite), based around existing calculation models originally developed in Excel.
- Designed the system that allowed NWL engineering teams to design upgrades and generate cost models for water installation assets within hours instead of weeks.
- Architected the system that allowed engineering teams to estimate both the financial and environmental (carbon) costs of projects during both the manufacturing and lifetime of the scoped assets.
- Delivered the initial system within five months and below budget, allowing additional nice-to-have features to be added following the initial launch.
Developer | Configuration Manager2011 - 2012Swiftcover
Technologies: C#, Microsoft Team Foundation Server, Windows Workflow Foundation, XAML, SSAS, XSLT, XML, BizTalk, MSBuild, SQL Server 2008
- Designed, implemented, and rolled out a completely new configuration management solution that automated the generation of configuration over every environment, including production environments.
- Created automation of the environmental baselining process, allowing capture of the current environment and allowing a fully automated rebuild of any environment using the baseline as a starting point in less than two hours.
- Managed 26 multi-tier test, integration, pre-production, and two production environments used by multiple project teams spread over seven locations across the UK, ranging from Glasgow to Tunbridge Wells.
- Assisted developers and support teams with build, configuration, and environmental issues across all environments.
Build and Release Manager2009 - 2010Tesco
Technologies: C#, .NET, SQL Server 2008, Java, GlassFish, Oracle
- Managed the iterative fortnightly build and release cycle for what used to be the Tesco Entertainment (formerly Tesco Digital) site and associated platform services, which is now part of Tesco Direct.
- Contributed to bringing the new Tesco Entertainment platform online, integrate the in-house developed warehouse and order management system, migrate the old Tesco Entertainment and Tesco Digital platforms to the new unified platform.
- Delivered the new platform within budget and a very tight deadline (four months) with key responsibilities for the architectural, hardware, and software changes and deployments.
- Built all of the dev, QA, UAT, and internal system environments for Silk Route UK when they took over the project, based on HA Hyper-V clusters, active-active SAN storage, and SCVMM utilizing a Windows 2008 R2-based AD structure.
- Developed the system as a hybrid model, utilizing the Microsoft stack (.NET, SQL Server, and IIS) for the customer-facing systems and Java, GlassFish, and Oracle for the warehouse management.
Developer | Build and Release Manager2006 - 2009London Stock Exchange
- Developed the fortnightly build and release cycle of the old London Stock Exchange corporate website and its’ associated applications and services, including maintaining compliance with internal ITIL and ISO/IEC 20000 requirements.
- Managed the full release lifecycle from coordination of release initiation notices (RINs) with the third-party vendors, through the full lifecycle to deployment, post-release handover, and support.
- Defined release scopes according to the overall platform plan, gathering code updates from the internal and third-party vendors, performing code analysis and review, technical and load testing, and highlighting any problems.
- Signed off or pulled RINs from the build from a technical perspective before handover the release to the business stakeholders for UAT business sign-off.
- Developed applications and scripts to assist in the overall development of the platform, outside of the scope of work given to the third-party vendors, usually related to internal systems, or maintaining the build and deployment framework.
- Managed and coordinated gathering code updates from large teams of developers based at three primary external development vendors in multiple countries, and various internal development teams.
- Helped "keep the lights on" and all systems operational during the 2008 financial crisis, despite the explosion in trading volumes that could never have been anticipated in the functions' capacity planning.
- Acted in the capacity of lifeboat contact, which involved being the primary contact for restoring various services from the alternate site in the event of the loss of the primary datacentre due to disaster or malicious third-party activity.
Solutions Architect2006 - 2006SEKO Worldwide Ltd
Technologies: Classic ASP, ASP.NET
- Performed analysis of two of the company’s existing products and designed the architecture of a new project to combine both products into a single new modernized product.
- Conducted a feasibility study that took three months to complete together with the analysis, design of the new system, and production of a basic prototype system.
- Helped decide to abandon the project at the end of the feasibility study as it became clear that it was not economically viable to proceed at that time.
Lead Developer | Systems Administrator2005 - 2006Cluster Seven Services Ltd
Technologies: C#, IIS, Microsoft Excel, SQL Server 2000, Microsoft Team Foundation Server
- Managed items of work through the full development lifecycle and the development of code for the software application, primarily on the back-end aspects of the system.
- Wrote architectural, functional, and technical specifications for new and existing functionality to be changed, ensuring the changes outlined maintained Sarbanes-Oxley compliance.
- Designed and implemented a change to the system that quadrupled the throughput of the system when working with NetApp-based filesystems.
Chief Technical Officer2002 - 2005Ridge Media Ltd
Technologies: .NET, SQL Server 2000, ASP.NET, Classic ASP, Visual Basic 6 (VB6), C++, Adobe, Windows NT Server, IIS 6, Visual SourceSafe
- Reported directly to the company’s managing director, responsible for all technical decisions for both internal systems and projects, purchasing and budgeting for technical projects, internal company equipment, licenses, and supplier relationships.
- Architected and developed a pioneering kiosk browser system called BarBrowser for the hospitality industry, utilizing a core application developed in C++ and MFC, a hosted IE browser, and embedded Macromedia Director visuals and graphics.
- Developed the BarBrowser unit installed in many bars around Newcastle city center, allowing patrons to browse the internet with targeted advertising pushed down to the units. The project was later sold to another company for a substantial profit.
Developer | Systems Administrator2000 - 2002Hexcentric Ltd
Technologies: Visual Basic 6 (VB6), C++, SQL Server 7, Java
- Wrote functional and technical specifications for projects, primarily with public bodies within government careers services and education providers.
- Developed an adult learning platform (ALIGS), which was rolled out across every career service in Scotland in 2001.
- Recommended equipment and license licensing to the managing director, ran the company network and server infrastructure day to day, and provided ongoing support for implemented systems.
Lead Developer | Systems Administrator1999 - 2000VisiTech International
Technologies: C++, OpenGL
- Led a team of three people during the development of the company’s fluorescence microscopy medical software, including writing specifications and breaking down the work to be done into work items.
- Implemented processing and control routines in embedded C and C++ on microcontroller and DSP cards.
- Wrote software for one of the microscope systems that was installed onboard the International Space Station in the life sciences module.