Software Development Lead (Data and BI)2020 - 2021Arriva
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Amazon QuickSight, Python, React, Amazon Aurora, PySpark, Amazon Athena, AWS API Gateway, AWS Glue, AWS
- Led a team of around 20 software developers, data scientists, and test engineers to deliver a new BI and data platform, using AWS Platform as a Service (PaaS).
- Delivered a single-page application with a serverless back end running on AWS Lambda to manage the creation and maintenance of serverless ETL resources.
- Designed and implemented a config-driven data pipeline mechanism, allowing users to perform big data ingestion, transformation, and cataloging, and to seamlessly deploy and run PySpark data pipelines on AWS Glue and Step Functions.
Tech Lead2018 - 2020CBRE Singapore
Technologies: Azure Functions, Azure Event Grid, Azure Service Bus, SQL, Azure Cosmos DB, DevOps, Azure DevOps, Azure PaaS, Azure, C#, .NET Core, Redux, React
- Led a team of 20+ IT professionals, including software engineers (on and offshore), SDETs, QA testers, and data engineers.
- Architected, designed, and built the application framework for a global corporate system, using technologies such as Azure PaaS, Serverless Azure Functions, .NET Core/C#, CosmosDB, Azure SQL, Azure Service Bus, Event Hub, CQRS, and SignalR.
- Developed and oversaw an extendable, scalable React/Redux progressive web application (PWA) and front-end application framework that works offline, using service workers, SignalR, React Intl (27 languages), Yup, Formik, Hooks, Jest, and more.
- Collaborated with stakeholders, product managers, and end users to define and capture product requirements. Created technical specifications, using UML, OO design, and SQL and NoSQL database design with strict performance and security requirements.
- Built the development team, instilling a productive and sustainable development culture and implementing tech and business processes that embody Agile, Scrum, Kanban, and Lean principles, along with a DevOps mindset.
- Created and maintained the infrastructure, pipelines, configuration as code, and GitFlow releases, enabling the development team to build and deploy many times per day.
- Designed systems to capture fast feedback, using logging, alerts, and usage analytics, and to monitor elastically scaled production systems.
- Drove and co-developed two cloud-based PaaS systems, from conception to global rollout and beyond, in 30+ languages.
- Won a SPOT award that's presented to a select few individuals across CBRE's design and technology department for outstanding achievement in technology.
Software Engineer and Team Lead2017 - 2018Jaguar Land Rover
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Eclipse IDE, Java, C++, AWS, Terraform, Ansible, Docker, Python, DevOps, GitLab
- Finished second out of 40,000 contestants to solve the Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) mixed-reality app coding challenge, in collaboration with Gorillaz, as part of JLR's drive to recruit world-class software engineering talent.
- Delivered software-over-the-air (SOTA) capabilities for JLR's first-ever, award-winning electric vehicle (EV), the Jaguar I-PACE.
- Integrated a complex Linux/embedded build into a GitLab CI/CD pipeline to continuously deliver binary deltas of software and firmware to vehicle infotainment head units over 4G.
- Reduced the time from Git commit to deployment on a vehicle from 4-6 weeks to under one hour, revolutionizing the speed and efficiency of the software team's delivery via the new SOTA capabilities that simultaneously streamlined the SDLC.
- Partially rewrote the toolchain, enabling low-level carrier-bus communication firmware on the V-850 microprocessor to communicate with the vehicle's CAN bus to support ongoing SOTA capabilities following changes to the vehicle hardware configuration.
Technical Director2005 - 2018Freebets4all
Technologies: UX, REST, Affiliate Data Feeds, Mathematics, SEO Tools, IT Strategy, DevOps, Azure, NoSQL, SQL, C#, ASP.NET MVC
- Co-founded Freebets4all and served as the technical director while in university (2004-2005).
- Built the web application in ASP.NET MVC, AngularJS, C#, and SQL.
- Automated the core business functionality by developing and continually improving the AutoMatcher, the world's first-ever automated matched-betting odds compiler.
- Oversaw all technical operations and developed the business through new software projects and partnerships.
- Headed up the offshore software development team as the technical lead and scrum master, capturing and creating requirements, designing the core architecture, and reviewing pull requests.
Software Development Manager2012 - 2017WHITE SPRINGS
Technologies: CSS, Bootstrap, Entity Framework, SQL, Azure DevOps, Scrum Master, Agile, AngularJS, ASP.NET Web Forms, ASP.NET MVC, C#, .NET
- Designed and implemented sales training and analytical web applications for stakeholders in the sales performance improvement industry.
- Led the SDLC, developing a strong Agile environment and software engineering culture.
- Eliminated manual builds by migrating the suite of software products to Microsoft Azure and implementing CI/CD pipelines for eight software systems.
- Integrated software systems with CRMs, including Salesforce.com, Oracle, Microsoft Dynamics, and Sugar CRM.
- Defined IT strategy by exploring emerging technologies and building proofs-of-concept. Contributed to the continual learning and experimentation of the software team.
- Created native mobile apps for iOS and Android with Xamarin and Xamarin.Forms and managed deployment to app stores.
- Introduced Kanban for support and maintenance, bringing the number of open support tickets down from 130 to zero, resulting in a healthy flow of requests and a drastically improved resolution time.
Software Developer2007 - 2009Experian
Technologies: C++, ASP, SQL, C#, ASP.NET Web Forms
- Designed and implemented data-driven web applications using an Agile methodology and adhering to strict security and UI accessibility requirements for the public and private sector.
- Optimized SQL stored procedures through normalization, denormalization, indexing, and query performance analysis.
- Maintained development of a commercial mapping platform written in Classic ASP and C++.
Programmer2001 - 2007Sensor Technology
Technologies: AppForge, Soldering, Oscilloscopes & Tester Equipment, Hardware, CSS, HTML, Palm OS, Visual Basic 6 (VB6)
- Researched and developed sensor-related technology, writing code in C++ and Visual Basic for Palm handheld devices.
- Interfaced with various hardware, including PCs (RS232 serial bus), Palm devices, proton magnetometers, solar panels, and GPS systems, to create a ground station for monitoring magnetic interference during wreck-location expeditions.
- Completed a bachelor's degree dissertation on wreck location using digital signal processing and fast Fourier transform (FFT).
- Created a website to trade surplus electric test equipment, including HTML and CSS, SEO, databases, and payment processing.
- Joined Sensor Technology as an employee after completing an internship, working part-time throughout university studies.